Public Forum on Utility-Scale Wind Power in Rockingham County: Thursday, 19th April, 7:00 P.M.

Alexander, Rob - alexanrw

Apr 13, 2018, 10:16:49 AM4/13/18
to harrisonbu...@googlegroups.com

Subject: Student-led Public Forum on Utility-Scale Wind Power in Rockingham County: Thursday, 19th April, 7:00 P.M.

Greetings from James Madison University –

It is my pleasure to contact you on behalf of a team of six JMU students who are part of a larger cohort of 30 undergraduates who will participate in the 2018 U.S. Department of Energy-sponsored Collegiate Wind Competition, to be held at the American Wind Energy Association’s WINDPOWER 2018 Conference in early May 2018. JMU is one of only twelve colleges and universities selected in early 2017 compete this year. Our team comprises majors from Business, Engineering, Industrial Design, Integrated Science and Technology, and Public Policy, who have worked diligently throughout this academic year to conduct a market analysis, design and construct a wind turbine, develop a comprehensive business plan, and execute an in-depth siting analysis in preparation for competition.  This latter element of the competition calls for students to identify a location within 100 miles of their home institution and execute a siting analysis for a hypothetical wind power plant with generating capacity of 100 MW. The students considered three sites within 100 miles of JMU, and ultimately settled on the area known as Cow Knob in western Rockingham County. As one component of their siting efforts, the students are encouraged to engage with a broad range of stakeholders, to solicit their input and opinions, and to identify opportunities, concerns, and issues elicited from these interactions. On this note, and on behalf of the students . . .

I invite you to join us next Thursday, 19th April, at 7:00 in Miller Hall, Room 1101 on JMU’s main campus for a PUBLIC FORUM on this topic. The session will open with brief introductions after which the students will present their findings and assessments to date, after which I will moderate a Q&A session during which the students hope to gather feedback that will greatly inform their efforts and increase our understanding of public sentiment for a project at Cow Knob (which, as many know already, has been the subject of previous studies).

Address for Miller Hall:                   Address for South Mason Street Parking Deck:

91 East Grace Street                           725 South Mason Street

Harrisonburg, VA 22801                    Harrisonburg, VA 22801

In the interest of full disclosure, I am personally encouraged by the findings that have been uncovered this year, and am hopeful that the work conducted by our students may engender fresh dialogue on this important topic.  Please feel free to extend this invitation to friends, colleagues, peers, and others whom you feel may be interested.  We hope to greet you on Thursday, thank you in advance for your kind consideration and best regards.

Jonathan Miles, Professor, Integrated Science and Technology, JMU

on behalf of

The 2018 Collegiate Wind Competition Siting Team

Mary Dobis, Tess Jacobson, Zach Lasek, Jamie Mears, Bri Smith

James Madison University

(Kindly direct comments, questions, and/or concerns, please contact Jamie Mears at mea...@dukes.jmu.edu)

p.s. Follow our team on Facebook to keep up to date on our most recent accomplishments!

https://www.facebook.com/jmucwc/?ref=br_rs

JMU: Collegiate Wind Competition. 109 likes. James Madison University has been selected to compete in the 2018 Collegiate Wind Competition in Chicago,...

Give this a read to learn more!

https://www.breezejmu.org/news/jmu-to-compete-in-collegiate-wind-competition/article_cf0ed336-2ae1-11e7-a224-ef436255a52a.html

JMU will compete against 10 other universities in a collegiate wind energy competition.