An engaging online activity for your Friday afternoons

Alexander, Rob - alexanrw

Apr 1, 2020, 12:39:59 PM4/1/20
to harrisonbu...@googlegroups.com, Alexander, Rob - alexanrw

The Institute for Constructive Advocacy and Dialogue (ICAD) at JMU (https://www.jmu.edu/icad) in collaboration with Common Ground for Action (CGA) (https://www.nifi.org/en/cga-online-forums) is pleased to offer the Harrisonburg and Rockingham communities three online moderated discussion fora discussing the following topics:

  • Climate Choices: How should we meet the challenges of a warming planet? Friday, April 3rd 2 to 3:30PM
  • Making Ends Meet: How should we spread prosperity and improve opportunity? Friday, April 10th 2 to 3:30PM
  • The Changing World of Work: What should we ask of higher education? Friday, April 18th 2 to 3:30PM

In a CGA deliberative forum, participants dig into the complexities of an issue and practice the hard work of seeking to understand different ideas, perceptions, and opinions about that issue by deliberating tradeoffs between different choices about the issue in groups of up to seven participants.

What is the participant experience like?

Watch this brief, five-minute video explaining how the forum unfolds.

What do I need to know in order to participate?

Each forum comes with an ‘issue advisory’ that presents peer-reviewed, cited data about that issue as well as three distinct choices on how to address that issue that derived through a lengthy collaborative and community-based process.  Links to these advisories are sent after participants register.

Who moderates the forum?

CGA forum moderators are trained facilitators and include a number of JMU students who are part of the ICAD Affiliate Facilitator program.

How do I sign up to participate in the forum?

What is ICAD?

The Institute for Constructive Advocacy and Dialogue is a JMU-based institute that focuses on shaping conversations that impact individuals, organizations and communities. Our vision is to create a world that engages in dialogue and deliberation across differences as a cultural norm and as an effective tool for addressing the challenges and opportunities of civic life.

If you are interested in facilitated dialogue and deliberation or in utilizing ICAD’s team of facilitators, contact Dr. Rob Alexander (alex...@jmu.edu) or Dr. Lori Britt (bri...@jmu.edu).