[Harp-L] Programming an RP55?

Ryan Hartt

May 28, 2012, 11:03:51 AM5/28/12
to har...@harp-l.org

So I took the plunge and bought a used RP55 at Guitar Center over the weekend. $24.99 was worth a risk.
I am pleasantly surprised with the effects. It has everything that I wanted, reverbs, leslie, octave, but won't use often enough to warrant buying individual pedals.
Any tips on programming these things? I've goofed around with it a little and it doesn't seem too intuitive.
It doesn't have the USB like the higher models so buying Richard's patches is out.
Thanks
Ryan

Robert Hale

May 28, 2012, 8:49:14 PM5/28/12
to Ryan Hartt, har...@harp-l.org
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Ryan Hartt <rhart...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Any tips on programming these things? I've goofed around with it a little
> and it doesn't seem too intuitive.

I think you'll get the flow soon, with a little steady tinkering. I became
acquainted with effects by reading (and building kits from) Craig
Anderton's Projects for Guitarists, but his Multieffects for Musicians is
probably the better path today.

I start by creating one clean neutral patch with a blank name field that I
can copy/save as needed. Everything is off or zero'd out. This avoids
manually recreating the repeating features. Factory patches are ok to learn
from, but most are guitar-oriented with high gain and sustain, and not
practical for harps on a mic. Fix them by lowering input gain, dropping the
distortion sections for now.

Experiment with selection of amp head, and cabinet, but keep preamp lower
and master output adjusted to a medium volume. (Later, you'll have many
patches and need to adjust them to a similar volume.) Build a sound, name
it, and save it to an address location (number).

>From here, you are the artist, painting on a blank canvas! Generally, set
your effect, then back it off, or it will sound like too much tomorrow. Our
ears become accustomed to sounds, so we think more is better. NOT.

>From here it's basics like short and long echos, and reverbs. You MUST set
up a tap tempo delay if your device will support it.

Best wishes, and keep tinkering!

Robert Hale

See you at SPAH2012

Spiral Advocate

Learn Harmonica by Webcam

Low Rates, High Success

http://www.youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL

http://www.dukeofwail.com

Timothy Kane

May 29, 2012, 11:25:42 AM5/29/12
to Ryan Hartt, har...@harp-l.org
"Any tips on programming these things? I've goofed around with it a little and it doesn't seem too intuitive.
It doesn't have the USB like the higher models so buying Richard's patches is out."

I'm sorta in the same boat as you. I have the RP90, so no USB access for me either.

My one piece of advice on programming yours...do your trial and error work plugging different effects to the presets on whatever amplifier or mixing board you're gonna be gigging it with.

I made that mistake the first time I programmed mine. I just did it through my little 10W solid state Marshall practice amp in my basement instead of running it through my Kalamazoo. It sounded completely different when I got onstage with the tube amp, and I had to scramble to adjust the levels so I got some semblance of what I had originally set up on it.

I will say this though...you can have a lot of fun doubling models and effects by running an RP through another modeling amp like a Peavey Vypyr or a Fender Mustang. Some serious psychadelic harp sounds can be achieved with an octaver, tremolo, and delay on the pedal, and then a second tremolo at a different depth and speed, and a boosted reverb on the amplifier.

                          Hawkeye Kane
                                                                                                 hawke...@yahoo.com
                                                                                                     Cell: (217)-741-7183
                                                                                                    www.hawkeyekane.com

Robert Hale

May 29, 2012, 12:18:48 PM5/29/12
to Timothy Kane, har...@harp-l.org
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Timothy Kane <hawke...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I will say this though...you can have a lot of fun doubling models and
> effects by running an RP through another modeling amp like a Peavey Vypyr
> or a Fender Mustang.

STEREO
Do RP's (non-USB) have stereo output? THAT is the most powerful way to
present your harp sound! Yes, more set-up, but LARGE results!

Timothy Kane

May 29, 2012, 12:27:13 PM5/29/12
to Robert Hale, har...@harp-l.org
"Do RP's (non-USB) have stereo output? THAT is the most powerful way to present your harp sound! Yes, more set-up, but LARGE results!"

The 90 has a stereo output by way of two 1/4" mono jacks. It also has a toggle button to adjust output level to accomodate either an amp or a mixer. I dunno about the 55.

Robert Hale

May 29, 2012, 12:42:52 PM5/29/12
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Timothy Kane <hawke...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The 90 has a stereo output by way of two 1/4" mono jacks. It also has
a toggle button to adjust output level to accommodate either an amp or a
mixer. I dunno about the 55.

Thanks Tim,

Korg Pandora (my current harp tool) and others have a single stereo out
jack which sounds great on headphones, but of course SUMS the output with a
guitar cord.

You get back the stereo by using (making) a splitter that takes L-R outs to
separate MONO female inline jacks. One channel to amp and the other to PA
sounds good, too.

Richard Hunter

May 29, 2012, 1:53:18 PM5/29/12
to har...@harp-l.org
Ryan Hartt wrote:
<"Any tips on programming these things? I've goofed around with it a little and it doesn't seem too <intuitive.
<It doesn't have the USB like the higher models so buying Richard's patches is out."

If I'd been asked, I would have advised against an RP55, not only because it doesn't have USB, but because:
1) it doesn't have the latest AudioDNA chip version, which means the reverbs, amp models, and FX aren't up to the quality of the newer RPs;
2) It doesn't have the amp or cabinet models that are most useful for the RP; in particular, it's missing the Bassman, Champ, and Blackface deluxe amp models, which are my favorites for blues.

That said, I'd start with the Tweed Deluxe amp model and take it from there. It's the most harp-friendly amp model in the 55.

In general, when used RP150s and 155s are selling at Guitar Center for less than $50--in some cases much less, given that I got my 150 for $25 shipped--I really don't recommend the 55, 70, or 90. You get a lot more with a used 150 than you get with any of the lower models, for the same money or less.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick