[Harp-L] Valve Glue Pen

18 views
Skip to first unread message

Greg Jones

unread,
Aug 24, 2018, 9:48:25 AM8/24/18
to Harp-L
I'm always trying to improve and lately I've found a really neat product
for gluing windsavers/valves.

It is a clear, non-toxic glue that comes in a glue pen. The pen allows you
to place a precise dot on the valve plate and the dry time gives you a
couple of minutes to set the valve.

You could probably get 500-1,000 valves per pen.

$15 + $3 shipping

*Greg Jones*
*16:23 Harmonicas*
Web Site: 1623customharmonicas.com

Slim Heilpern

unread,
Aug 24, 2018, 10:44:50 AM8/24/18
to Greg Jones, harp-l harp-l
Hi Greg -

I’m always up for trying new valve glue solutions. I got something from you in the past that was a cool applicator with some kind of white glue in it that, for me, didn’t work so well as the valve wouldn’t stay in one place while drying (this is a bit hard for me to describe well). So I’ve continued to use contact cement which can be a pain to work with due to the stringiness, but does the trick for me.

I'm happy to try your latest solution, but I couldn’t find it on your website. How can I order one?

Thanks!

- Slim.

www.SlimAndPenny.com

Gary Lehmann

unread,
Aug 24, 2018, 10:53:52 AM8/24/18
to Slim Heilpern, Greg Jones, harp-l
Same here--those little "spider webs" can really be a hang!

Joseph Leone

unread,
Aug 25, 2018, 8:55:15 AM8/25/18
to Gary Lehmann, Greg Jones, harp-l
The idea with glue is to place the applicator tip, brush, fuzzed out tooth pick, etc. ONTO the valve and twist the applicator about 360 degrees. This will usually cut off the flu flus.
smo-joe

Gary Lehmann

unread,
Sep 21, 2018, 12:28:40 PM9/21/18
to Slim Heilpern, harp-l, Greg Jones
Well, I tried it, but I don't prefer it for valves.
Works great on clothing, however.
Weldwood Contact Cement remains my favorite.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 6:29 AM Slim Heilpern <slimhe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well folks, I think Greg may have discovered the ultimate valve glue. This
> stuff has the best properties of contact cement in that it doesn’t dry too
> fast so you have time to carefully position the valve yet it is thick
> enough so the valve stays where you put it. But unlike contact cement,
> there’s no stringy stuff (or spider webs as Gary calls them) to deal with.
> To top it off, it comes in a pen dispenser which adds to the convenience.
>
> Greg has told me offline that the same thing is marketed under a few brand
> names. The brand he sent me is called “Fabric Fusion” and it’s available
> from multiple sources for very little money, so you have a choice of
> ordering from Greg (I think he deserves a lot of credit for experimenting
> with many different types of glue before finding this) or ordering it from
> elsewhere, such as Amazon, for very cheap:
>
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-2-Pack-Purpose-Fabric-Fusion/dp/B005572HO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536505453&sr=8-1&keywords=fabric+fusion+pen
>
> Thanks Greg, well done!
>
> - Slim.
>
> On Aug 24, 2018, at 7:53 AM, Gary Lehmann <gnarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Same here--those little "spider webs" can really be a hang!
>
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:44 AM Slim Heilpern <sl...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg -
>>
>> I’m always up for trying new valve glue solutions. I got something from
>> you in the past that was a cool applicator with some kind of white glue in
>> it that, for me, didn’t work so well as the valve wouldn’t stay in one
>> place while drying (this is a bit hard for me to describe well). So I’ve
>> continued to use contact cement which can be a pain to work with due to the
>> stringiness, but does the trick for me.
>>
>> I'm happy to try your latest solution, but I couldn’t find it on your
>> website. How can I order one?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Slim.
>>
>> www.SlimAndPenny.com <http://www.slimandpenny.com/>

Slim Heilpern

unread,
Sep 21, 2018, 2:52:51 PM9/21/18
to Gary Lehmann, harp-l harp-l, Greg Jones
Just curious Gary, what was it that you didn’t like about it?

- Slim

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 9:28 AM, Gary Lehmann <gnarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, I tried it, but I don't prefer it for valves.
> Works great on clothing, however.
> Weldwood Contact Cement remains my favorite.
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 6:29 AM Slim Heilpern <slimhe...@gmail.com <mailto:slimhe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Well folks, I think Greg may have discovered the ultimate valve glue. This stuff has the best properties of contact cement in that it doesn’t dry too fast so you have time to carefully position the valve yet it is thick enough so the valve stays where you put it. But unlike contact cement, there’s no stringy stuff (or spider webs as Gary calls them) to deal with. To top it off, it comes in a pen dispenser which adds to the convenience.
>
> Greg has told me offline that the same thing is marketed under a few brand names. The brand he sent me is called “Fabric Fusion” and it’s available from multiple sources for very little money, so you have a choice of ordering from Greg (I think he deserves a lot of credit for experimenting with many different types of glue before finding this) or ordering it from elsewhere, such as Amazon, for very cheap:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-2-Pack-Purpose-Fabric-Fusion/dp/B005572HO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536505453&sr=8-1&keywords=fabric+fusion+pen <https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-2-Pack-Purpose-Fabric-Fusion/dp/B005572HO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536505453&sr=8-1&keywords=fabric+fusion+pen>
>
> Thanks Greg, well done!
>
> - Slim.
>
>> On Aug 24, 2018, at 7:53 AM, Gary Lehmann <gnarl...@gmail.com <mailto:gnarl...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Same here--those little "spider webs" can really be a hang!
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:44 AM Slim Heilpern <sl...@cruzio.com <mailto:sl...@cruzio.com>> wrote:
>> Hi Greg -
>>
>> I’m always up for trying new valve glue solutions. I got something from you in the past that was a cool applicator with some kind of white glue in it that, for me, didn’t work so well as the valve wouldn’t stay in one place while drying (this is a bit hard for me to describe well). So I’ve continued to use contact cement which can be a pain to work with due to the stringiness, but does the trick for me.
>>
>> I'm happy to try your latest solution, but I couldn’t find it on your website. How can I order one?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Slim.
>>
>> www.SlimAndPenny.com <http://www.slimandpenny.com/>
>>
>>
>> > On Aug 24, 2018, at 6:48 AM, Greg Jones <gr...@1623customharmonicas.com <mailto:gr...@1623customharmonicas.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm always trying to improve and lately I've found a really neat product
>> > for gluing windsavers/valves.
>> >
>> > It is a clear, non-toxic glue that comes in a glue pen. The pen allows you
>> > to place a precise dot on the valve plate and the dry time gives you a
>> > couple of minutes to set the valve.
>> >
>> > You could probably get 500-1,000 valves per pen.
>> >
>> > $15 + $3 shipping
>> >
>> > *Greg Jones*
>> > *16:23 Harmonicas*
>> > Web Site: 1623customharmonicas.com <http://1623customharmonicas.com/>
>>
>

gnarl...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 21, 2018, 3:39:56 PM9/21/18
to Slim Heilpern, harp-l harp-l, Greg Jones
It didn't set fast enough, I didn't like the texture, and I don't have confidence in its durability.
Weldwood works, and it's kind of the winner by consensus.
I wish it came in a pen applicator!
Gary

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Slim Heilpern <sl...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> Just curious Gary, what was it that you didn’t like about it?
>
> - Slim
>
>> On Sep 21, 2018, at 9:28 AM, Gary Lehmann <gnarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I tried it, but I don't prefer it for valves.
>> Works great on clothing, however.
>> Weldwood Contact Cement remains my favorite.
>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 6:29 AM Slim Heilpern <slimhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well folks, I think Greg may have discovered the ultimate valve glue. This stuff has the best properties of contact cement in that it doesn’t dry too fast so you have time to carefully position the valve yet it is thick enough so the valve stays where you put it. But unlike contact cement, there’s no stringy stuff (or spider webs as Gary calls them) to deal with. To top it off, it comes in a pen dispenser which adds to the convenience.
>>>
>>> Greg has told me offline that the same thing is marketed under a few brand names. The brand he sent me is called “Fabric Fusion” and it’s available from multiple sources for very little money, so you have a choice of ordering from Greg (I think he deserves a lot of credit for experimenting with many different types of glue before finding this) or ordering it from elsewhere, such as Amazon, for very cheap:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-2-Pack-Purpose-Fabric-Fusion/dp/B005572HO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536505453&sr=8-1&keywords=fabric+fusion+pen
>>>

Joseph Leone

unread,
Sep 22, 2018, 9:41:38 AM9/22/18
to gnarl...@gmail.com, harp-l harp-l, Greg Jones
Not that any one asked but mama Cass (the live one) used to use it as a seam stress and quilter. She felt that it was the best for what it was intended for. Porous materials.
I felt that on a slippery surface, such as plastic, that it set too slowly, the texture a bit thin (probably necessary in a pen), and if you didn’t use it for a while it turned to a gum.
I HAVE used it on ultra suede valves.

As for durability, I recall about 10 years ago I was playing on a tune and sucked in several breath savers. One or two stuck to my epiglottis and I had to cough them out.
But to be fair, I believe it had to do with the age of the glue..as I have had the same experience with the dark glue they used to use on Hering chromatics. Life span is about
4.75 years.

I (personally) use dark nail varnish. That has been thickened by leaving the cap off. Growing up in a home with mostly women, there was always a supply of tossed out nail
varnish in the trash. Btw, Weldwood is also good.

smo-joe

Vern

unread,
Sep 22, 2018, 9:42:45 AM9/22/18
to Slim Heilpern, harp-l harp-l, Greg Jones

For many years, I have used G-S Hypo Cement. I think I learned about it from Bill Dulin.
https://gssupplies.com/gs-hypo-cement/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3bGXtufM3QIVEmp-Ch1ZmgUBEAAYASABEgL0jvD_BwE <https://gssupplies.com/gs-hypo-cement/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3bGXtufM3QIVEmp-Ch1ZmgUBEAAYASABEgL0jvD_BwE>

It sets up reasonably fast but allows enough time to adjust the valve position. The little needle spout allows you to neatly and accurately dispense a single small drop.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that replacing the cap requires inserting a thin wire into the tiny spout. If you can’t thread a needle, you might find it difficult.

I clamp the valve in a clothespin and put a tiny drop on it. Then I put a tiny drop on the plate and wait a minute. Using philatelist’s tweezers, I put it in place and adjust it with a fingertip if necessary.

I recommend it for valves. Give it a try. There is little to lose and you may like it as much as I do.

Vern

Joseph Leone

unread,
Sep 24, 2018, 8:14:51 AM9/24/18
to Vern, harp-l harp-l, Greg Jones
I have some of that. The older daughter uses it for jewelry making. Good stuff. And the needle keeps it from congealing. :)
smo-joe
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages