Re: [Harp-L] welded reeds thread

Michael Easton

Oct 7, 2018, 2:30:00 PM10/7/18
to har...@harp-l.org
Vern wrote
“Our methods have not yet caught up to the latest manufacturer?s methods, e.g. welded reeds. Drilling holes to replace a welded reed seems to me to be awkward and error-prone for your ?Everyman?. That is what led me to work on soldering”.

I’ve had no problem with the replacement of welded Suzuki chromatic reeds with Seydel reeds.
Probably the hardest part is removing the reed. Once off there is a noticeable ring on the plate where a rivet could have been used. I drill a pilot hole then tap for a 0-90 screw to fit. Using an 0-90 allows some wiggle room in the hole of a donor reed for centering. Btw, Seydel reeds are just a fraction of a mm longer than Suzuki reeds but a quick pass or 2 at the tip and it will fit a Suzuki slot perfectly.

Mike
Www.harmonicarepair.com

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 1:00 PM, harp-l-...@harp-l.org wrote:
>
> Our methods have not yet caught up to the latest manufacturer?s methods, e.g. welded reeds. Drilling holes to replace a welded reed seems to me to be awkward and error-prone for your ?Everyman?. That is what led me to work on soldering.

Vern

Oct 8, 2018, 1:23:53 AM10/8/18
to Michael Easton, har...@harp-l.org
Mike, you are not an “everyman”!