Re: Digest for harp-l-meta-discussions@googlegroups.com - 7 Messages in 3 Topics

Richard Owen

Oct 25, 2012, 12:24:26 PM10/25/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
I am unclear. Is there anyone willing to lead harp-l (with help - I think we have lots of helpers)? If yes, then let's move forward with one of those people. If not, then at least we know where we stand. We already have a funding leader, so please reply if you are willing to lead the administration of the list.

Arthur Jennings

Oct 25, 2012, 12:37:21 PM10/25/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Maybe. What time commitment is involved?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Richard Owen <richar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am unclear. Is there anyone willing to lead harp-l (with help - I think we have lots of helpers)? If yes, then let's move forward with one of those people. If not, then at least we know where we stand. We already have a funding leader, so please reply if you are willing to lead the administration of the list.

Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com

first last

Oct 25, 2012, 6:15:51 PM10/25/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
I don't mean to be rude or abrupt. Harp-l belongs to whomever the
current listowner is. Succession has previously been a function of
the listowner's prerogative. There have been murmurings of interest
but really nothing that I would see as sustainable so far. I've got
the better part of my adult life tied up in harp-l and it's success.
Not to say anything other than my investment in terms of time is large
and given a choice it would be nice to hand this off to an entity I
thought had a good chance of success.

I think Slim's proposal which will be revealed soon will shed a lot of
light on what the future of harp-l might be.

To answer Arthur's query regarding time commitment, currently not a
whole heck of a lot. Maybe a half an hour to an hour on an average
day but it took me years to get here. In the aggregate it's a lot
more time than you'd think and when things go wrong it's hours and
hours. I think what might be one of the hardest things is harp-l
never sleeps. Since July 30, 2004 how many minutes has harp-l been
down? My best guess would be less than an hour total and I bet nobody
ever noticed. I know zero posts were lost. If you factor in all the
research the time commitment is huge. By the way Bill Lifford worried
about not having time to read all of the posts. You think I read all
this stuff? Not any more I don't. I'm just looking for problems when
I read harp-l. Which brings me to another point, if you enjoy harp-l
then don't be the listowner because it will absolutely change that
experience for you once it becomes your job to keep it all happy and
working.