Re: Digest for harp-l-meta-discussions@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

1 view

Richard Owen

Mar 25, 2015, 4:16:46 PM3/25/15
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Still plenty of life in the list.

On Mar 25, 2015, at 1:47 AM, harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com wrote:

El Rey de los Super Mochomos <yq7...@gmail.com>: Mar 24 01:22PM -0700

Posts are way down, averaging 200 some a month so far this year down from
around 500 a month a year or so ago. Oddly membership remains as high as
it has ever been. Harp-l costs approximately $22 USD a month to keep
online. Domain expenses are in the range of $75 USD per year. That's for
2 domains, dot org and dot com. So $339 USD per year. Using a figure of
240 post per month an actual post expenses at about 8 cents. Granted the
archives are still maintained for that $239 per year. This expense is no
longer borne personally by me. However there comes a point where one
wonders given the gradual decline of the list when does it become time to
pull the plug and shut it down forever?

I'm not looking for suggestions on cheaper alternatives for hosts or format
changes like a forum. I'm no longer wishing to hand off the project of
maintaining harp-l. I am simply wondering at what point have we reached a
threshold where it's time to say, we're done? harp-l-listowner
Slim Heilpern <sl...@cruzio.com>: Mar 24 04:59PM -0700

Good question. I'll just say that the fund raisers have been quick and painless -- folks are anxious to help keep this going and they obviously appreciate the service. I don't think you can directly equate volume with value until there's almost no traffic.

Personally, I think harp-l is still a valuable resource.

- Slim.

bluesmandan

Mar 26, 2015, 8:48:26 AM3/26/15
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
240 posts per month is not dead. That's pretty active. Lots of life left, I think.