Re: Digest for harp-l-meta-discussions@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

b boggs

Aug 23, 2014, 12:50:26 PM8/23/14
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps I reveal that I am not savvy in all the ways of social media evolving.
I think the current List posts delivered to me via digest form are fantastic.
It is because the group is not morphing to keep up with novelty and the need for speed and saturation that I appreciate it.
It is a kind of sanctuary.
Brian

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:58 AM, <harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
El Rey de los Super Mochomos <yq7...@gmail.com>: Aug 22 08:08AM -0700

Several people recently signed up. No discussions initiated so far. Don't
be waiting on the list owner to start a discussion for you. I did notice
that a couple of people who signed up appended that they were looking to
help migrate list platforms. Someone else wanted a web interface. An
easier to maintain platform was also mentioned to which I would respond;
have you ever maintained a Mailman list? It's hard to imagine an easier to
manage interface. It sure wouldn't be Facebook.

The one direct response I will make to something posted on harp-l is
regarding the assertion that Mailman is an obsolete interface. Well no,
it's currently still being developed for. As for search, the absolute best
search I've ever encountered is Google's and guess what? Harp-l's search
is a google custom search and it's indexed.

Better organised? In what way? Oh you might mean the web page. Harp-l is
not now and never really has been about providing content. It exists to
allow like minded people to find each other and aggregate.

Right now, as in today 10 seconds ago the harp-l subscribers number 2400
which is as near as I can remember as high as it has ever been. It's
certainly not a declining number. Posts are down but then signal to noise
is way up.

Harp-l is not run accidentally or haphazardly, you might not always agree
with the focus but there definitely is one. There is a very focused
philosophy behind the software choices and the supported services. If you
host your group on a forum site like Google Groups or Yahoo Groups you lose
control of your content. You also subject your users to advertisements. Plain
text by it's very nature, small, is green. While none of us receive a bill
for what it costs to run all these servers scattered around the world the
energy costs are real. That data centers are located adjacent to hydro
electric plants is no accident. There is no such thing as a free lunch but
harp-l is as close to one as you're ever going to find on the web.

Regarding Modern Blues Harmonica, it's a logical extension of Adam's
excellent youtube series of teaching videos. A provocatively run list run
by a strong personality. That there are choices is important. The
Balkanisation of the online harmonica community was inevitable and in fact
it's completely philosophically in line with why harp-l was created, to
allow like minded people to find each other so they can collaborate
musically and intellectually.

El Rey de los Super Mochomos

Aug 23, 2014, 3:15:06 PM8/23/14
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
The need for speed, that's where we excel.  Our server load is typically very low and our connection to the world is fast.  We've been tight on resources in the past but that's about to change in that our memory and disk space and our processing power are about to leap forward 10 yrs in terms of reference to the outside world's requirements.  Mailman will also get an upgrade to support dmarc protocols and I'll be able to turn bounce processing back on without bouncing the Yahoo, AOL and Comcast subscribers into oblivion.

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:50:26 AM UTC-7, b boggs wrote