Re: Digest for harp-l-meta-discussions@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 1 Topic

b boggs

Aug 26, 2012, 2:02:58 PM8/26/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
No FB here.
I won't sell my soul to communicate with humans.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:58 AM, <harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/harp-l-meta-discussions/topics

    Seth Galitzer <seth...@gmail.com> Aug 25 02:11PM -0500

    Closed group, which means joining must be approved by a group owner.
    Not terribly useful, IMHO. Though I find Facebook in general not
    terribly useful, either.

    Seth

    --
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved.

Paul Field

Aug 26, 2012, 2:16:22 PM8/26/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com

You can't be serious about that having signed up for a Gmail account surely?  I don't believe you have to sell your soul to Facebook, that's just silly if you really explore what it's about, but you've already given away as much to Google....

first last

Aug 26, 2012, 4:28:33 PM8/26/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Show me the place in facebook where I can activate a radio button that
deletes ALL of my stored personal data associated with my account. I
know where it is in gmail. I was having trouble finding it in
facebook.

Paul Field

Aug 27, 2012, 7:43:07 AM8/27/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com

Why?

first last

Aug 27, 2012, 9:23:38 AM8/27/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com

Paul Field

Aug 27, 2012, 10:29:41 AM8/27/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com

It's academic. The data you put on facebook is either trivial (and kept private) or already in the public domain. You choose who can see or use it through some really complicated security settings.

The only thing facebook does with (a small amount of it) is target advertising to you (which keeps it free) and, in my opinion, means the ads which appear at least have SOME chance of being relevant.

The overall service of being able to keep in touch with my friends and also make new friends (harp players and musicians I wouldn't normally get to meet are part of my extending friends list) is invaluable.

It's really not that evil :-)

first last

Aug 27, 2012, 10:43:26 AM8/27/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Just curious but did you read the article?

I had an experimental FB acct. When I got to 5 friends I was chilled
by the accuracy the suggestions reached. None of my 5 knew each
other. It was uncanny how good the guesses were. Not to fuel a FB no
FB debate. As I observed previously nobody needs the harp-l
subscriber list to start a harmonica FB page. You also wouldn't need
the domain names or the current listowner's cooperation.

FB, Google, it's all about information. The net stuff pales in
comparison to carrying around a smart phone. Normally I'd be trying
to veer the discussion back on topic but the reality of the name is
it's meta and fair game.

first last

Paul Field

Aug 27, 2012, 11:01:11 AM8/27/12
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com

Yup I read it all thanks. I understand data privacy issues very well due to my profession.

I'm not advocating FB over Harp-L by the way, it's just a lot of what I've heard seems to be anti privacy based when the reality isn't quite so scary. Having an account and then talking to a group of friends about combs, reeds, cover plates and screws isn't going to damage anyone's online situation.

By the way there are lots of Harp related groups already on FB. 'Harp Players' is the most popular. There is also one for the UK NHL. It's great being ble to hook up with other players this way.