Should harp-l continue to operate?

El Rey de los Super Mochomos

Mar 24, 2015, 4:22:54 PM3/24/15
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Posts are way down, averaging 200 some a month so far this year down from around 500 a month a year or so ago.  Oddly membership remains as high as it has ever been.  Harp-l costs approximately $22 USD a month to keep online.  Domain expenses are in the range of $75 USD per year.  That's for 2 domains, dot org and dot com.  So $339 USD per year.  Using a figure of 240 post per month an actual post expenses at about 8 cents.  Granted the archives are still maintained for that $239 per year.  This expense is no longer borne personally by me.  However there comes a point where one wonders given the gradual decline of the list when does it become time to pull the plug and shut it down forever?

I'm not looking for suggestions on cheaper alternatives for hosts or format changes like a forum.  I'm no longer wishing to hand off the project of maintaining harp-l.  I am simply wondering at what point have we reached a threshold where it's time to say, we're done?  harp-l-listowner

Slim Heilpern

Mar 24, 2015, 7:59:41 PM3/24/15
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
Good question. I'll just say that the fund raisers have been quick and painless -- folks are anxious to help keep this going and they obviously appreciate the service. I don't think you can directly equate volume with value until there's almost no traffic.

Personally, I think harp-l is still a valuable resource.

- Slim.

On Mar 24, 2015, at 1:22 PM, El Rey de los Super Mochomos wrote:

[...]

Michelle LeFree

Mar 25, 2015, 11:58:32 AM3/25/15
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
We've had slow periods before due to various interruptions. For many
this is the first few days of spring. It'll pick back up.

Michelle

William Lifford

Mar 25, 2015, 4:44:23 PM3/25/15
to harp-l-meta...@googlegroups.com
I hope it's not done, although I must admit I am more of a lurker than active contributor.  As family life and career have gotten busier, my free time to read and answer posts has waned.  I am imagine a lot of us are in the same boat.

I don't work in technology, but I think a lot of people that do or have regular access to a computer throughout the day are more likely to be more active posters or responders.

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015, El Rey de los Super Mochomos <yq7...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

William Lifford, CP
Progressive O&P, Inc.
1111 Willis Avenue