Public Records Request #1

George Schiro

Jan 6, 2024, 6:02:47 PMJan 6
to gg
.) Inframark, Harmony CDD's forever district management
company has lost or destroyed recent public records.

.) It took 5 weeks for the district manager, Angel
Montagna, to respond with records that remained.

.) The initial response was an empty data file - yet a
dozen items responsive to the request existed.

.) It took several more back-and-forths to finally
receive what should have been provided in hours or
days (like we've witnessed elsewhere).

.) The district manager's performance and attitude
indicate a serious lack of professionalism.

This is a very long story.

Accessing public records, records bought and paid for by the tax paying
citizens of our community, is supposed to be easy in Harmony like anywhere
else in Florida - the Sunshine State - where Sunshine Laws originated (see
"Walking on Sunshine Laws ..." https://tinyurl.com/227ankvf ):

Florida's open government laws are widely regarded as
some of the broadest and most all-encompassing in the
country. The state's attorney general, Pam Bondi, has
declared that, "in Florida, transparency is not up to
the whim or grace of public officials. Instead, it is
an enforceable right." That right is found in an
amalgamation of provisions within Florida's statutes
and in its state constitution.

Prior to my relatively recent public records request to the Harmony CDD, the
last time I submitted a public records request was to the Harmony ROA in
2017. At that time my request was handled promptly and professionally by Tim
Quinlan of FirstService Residential - with no hassle and at no cost to me.
In fact, like my several dealings with the Osceola County School District,
it was a very pleasant and uneventful experience. Simply put, I was left
with the basic impression that I was being dealt with honestly and in good
faith by professionals.

I've reviewed the half dozen or so public records requests I submitted to
the school district over the years. Those requests were made during efforts
to look into corrupt school board members (see "Subtle Little Lies",
http://tinyurl.com/oa2pr9h ) as well as research into "pink slime" being
served in school lunches at the time (see '"Pink Slime" in Osceola County
Schools', https://tinyurl.com/mwbabmu ). Those public records requests were
submitted and fully responded to within a matter of hours or at the most a
few days - without exception. The responses were always direct, to the
point, complete and provided in a readily usable data format by Dana Schafer
or one of her staff of professionals at the Osceola County School District.

In all of my experience making public requests to government entities over
more than a decade, I have never had an experience anything like the two
public records requests submitted to the Harmony CDD last year.

The following very detailed accounting is about the first of those two
Harmony CDD public records requests.

The first request was submitted by me to Angel Montagna of Inframark
("Angel.M...@inframark.com") on February 16, 2023. Inframark is the
district management company contracted by the Harmony CDD. The request was
submitted in regard to emails I sent, emails that were apparently lost on
their way to the Harmony CDD chair (at the time), Teresa Kramer.

Here is that request:

Jan 8, 2024, 12:30:47 PMJan 8
to harm...@googlegroups.com
What follows is the email I sent (referencing this thread) to each Harmony
CDD supervisor (individually, on Saturday). My goal is to have this matter
publicly acknowledged by Harmony CDD's board of supervisors and, hopefully,
to also have an open discussion leading to perhaps an improvement in how
public records are handled in Harmony.

I will post any responses I receive (if any) here as well.

My name is George Schiro. I have recently had troubling
exchanges with Harmony CDD's management company,
Inframark.

This is a digest version of a posted article with
significantly more detail. The full version is found
here:

Public Records Request #1
https://tinyurl.com/yc6f9wzs

These are the salient points of interest:

.) Inframark, Harmony CDD's forever district
management company has lost or destroyed recent
public records.

.) It took 5 weeks for the district manager, Angel
Montagna, to respond with records that remained.

.) The initial response was an empty data file -
yet a dozen items responsive to the request existed.

.) It took several more back-and-forths to finally
receive what should have been provided in hours or
days (like we've witnessed elsewhere).

.) The district manager's performance and attitude
indicate a serious lack of professionalism.

I have personally submitted many public records
requests over many years. Those requests were submitted
to the Osceola County School District as well as to the
Harmony Residential Owners Association.

In all those years I had never witnessed anything like
my recent dealings with the Harmony Community
Development District and its management company,
Inframark.

The apparent lack of professionalism is astounding.
It's as if Inframark doesn't really know how to
properly handle an electronic public records request,
or its personnel lack the requisite technical skills to
do so. The only other possibility is that Inframark's
actual goal is to make the process of accessing Harmony
CDD public records so onerous that the tax paying
citizens of Harmony will simply stop asking for them.
Either way, the Harmony CDD is made to look
unresponsive and uncaring in the eyes of its
constituents as a result.

Why is the Harmony CDD doing business with a company
that has apparently lost or destroyed its public
records?

Why would the Harmony CDD allow public records requests
to be submitted to multiple Inframark email accounts,
including the personal email account of one of its
employees? Such a rinky-dink policy only serves to make
the loss of records more likely and the act of
searching them more costly.

I would like to know what plans, if any, the Harmony
CDD will make to rectify this matter.

I would also like a discussion of this issue to be
added to the agenda of a future Harmony CDD meeting.
Can I be informed if and when this will occur?

Joseph Janeczek

Jan 10, 2024, 9:13:43 AMJan 10
to HarmonyFL
George -

Not sure what your main issue is, and it does not really matter - the fact that you feel they are not responsive, you may want to attend a CDD Meeting and let all board members know of this during the open discussion session in which you have 3 minutes max to express your concerns or bring up issues.  They usually meet the last Thursday of each month at the Jones model home.

Good luck
Joe

George Schiro

Jan 10, 2024, 1:14:50 PMJan 10
to harm...@googlegroups.com
I've been to a few CDD meetings over the years Joe (see https://harmonyflcommons.com/Newsgroup.aspx ).

It's actually the "3 minute rule" that necessitated this thread. There is no way to convey that much information under such a time constraint.

This way I can reference these facts within my 3 minutes with the hope that at least one CDD supervisor has already read the details in advance.

Thanks Joe!