Harmony Community Gardens

Geo

Dec 26, 2011, 6:23:57 PM12/26/11
to gg
This is a response to a post on another thread (see "Harmony Festivals",
http://groups.google.com/group/harmonyfl/msg/a6c16c0f07cab58d ).

David Leeman wrote:

Concerning the garden, Mr Schiro writes, "Now that we
have a budding community garden in Harmony (one that's
not quite open, but time will tell)". What exactly
does "not quite open" mean? It sounds like some are
excluded, but Mr Schiro does not say that outright. I
wonder if Mr Schiro could elaborate on that statement
and provide some evidence to back it up. I have been
gardening for more than a year, and as far as I know no
one has ever been turned down. It is my understanding
that any Harmony resident may ask for a plot and start
gardening right away. Is this not correct?

First, I must admit that I am a little leery Dave. You and I often seem to
have different meanings for the same basic terminology. I suspect that this
may be happening again with the term "open".

My use of the term "open" relates to my previous use of its antonym,
"secrecy", as defined in the post "What Constitutes Secrecy in an Open
Society?" (see
http://groups.google.com/group/harmonyfl/msg/5e7e9dd4ebade784 ). In my
opinion, wherever we have "public secrecy" we also lack "openness".

What follows is an example of what I mean (ie. a formerly completely open
activity).

Here is the public newsgroup originally established (with my help) by Bill
Fife, Harmony's Activity Director, for the purpose of an open exchange of
ideas related to the proposed new amenity known as the "Harmony Community
Gardens":

http://groups.google.com/group/harmonyflgardens

As you can see, the gardens newsgroup got started in June of 2008. You can
also see that after many fair and reasonable exchanges by several different
people, all discussion suddenly ceased in March of 2009 (without warning and
without explanation). That is what I was referring to by my last post there
in January of this year (see "Community Garden Resurrected?",
http://tinyurl.com/72k4r93 ). As you may recall, you also made one last
contribution on that thread Dave.

I posted a question to Greg Golgowski, VP of Harmony Development Company:

Greg,

Your last message to this group was posted on Mar 31,
2009.

Yet what follows is an email sent to Harmony residents
by Harmony Development company today.

What's the story Greg?

'Geo

Greg never responded, but Dave did.

Dave wrote:

It's a secret amenity open to only a few select
residents. That's why you don't know about it.

Of course, I knew that Dave was just kidding (as usual), but then Greg and
Bill Fife suddenly extricated themselves from the gardens forum (the one
that Bill setup and moderated) and neither were ever heard from again.

So while the developer (and Dave) claims that the "Harmony Community
Gardens" amenity is open to all Harmony residents, it's hard to know for
sure since no one is talking openly in an online public forum about whatever
is currently going on there (unlike what they did previously).

Do you see what I mean now by "not quite open" Dave?

Dave Leeman

Dec 26, 2011, 10:54:12 PM12/26/11
to HarmonyFL
Mr Schiro admits he's a "little leery" because he and I "often seem to
have different meanings for the same basic terminology." He's right
to be leery. His world view (at least the part of it that Harmony
occupies) is frequently at odds with reality, and he is generally less
than enthusiastic when I point that out. Also, I point out his
frequent misuse of the English language, as in this latest post, where
he writes about "Public secrecy". In my opinion, public secrecy is an
oxymoron. If it's secret, it's not public. If it's public, it's not
secret. Perhaps Mr Schiro means secrecy FROM the public, but that's
not what he writes. Be that as it may, I highly recommend that you go
to his link about secrecy and read the whole thing. It will give you
an idea of how Mr Schiro's mind works where secrecy is concerned.
Here are some of his ideas.
"He (Shad Tome) also scheduled some secret meetings (ie. unannounced)
with two small subsets of the Harmony community. I was not included in
either meeting (as was the case with several other vocal residents),
so I was not privy to the details."

Mr Schiro claims that these meetings with Mr Tome were secret even
though a huge "subset of the Harmony community" knew about them. I
was one of the "vocal residents" who were not included in the
meetings, but I knew about them well in advance. They were discussed
by me and by many of the people who lived here at that time. There
was nothing secret about them, except that Mr Schiro was "not privy to
the details".

Here again is Mr Schiro.
" He just brought to my attention a slew of posts on the secret
Harmony forum (ie. the Yahoo Group) about the problems at Greensides /
Harmony Tavern."

Here we have a residents only forum which does not allow people
outside Harmony to view posts. Is this secret? According to Mr
Schiro, yes it is. Never mind that at the time of his posting, the
Yahoo group had more than double the members of Mr Schiro's Google
group. Never mind that new residents are encouraged to sign up for it
in order to help them know what's going on. It's still secret. Now
keep in mind that the Yahoo group is mainly a place to hear about
neighborhood watch announcements or a good appliance repair person or
a good baby sitter or pet care. It is not, nor was it ever supposed
to be anything but a place for residents to have conversations about
living in Harmony. So there is no need to allow people from outside
Harmony to read the posts. The Yahoo group is hiding nothing. There
is nothing secret about it. It just does not make itself available to
every person on the planet because there is no need to. That does NOT
change the fact that plenty of people do know about it, and it can in
no way be considered secret, except by Mr Schiro.

Just so we're clear on Mr Schiro's secrecy policy here are his words.

Mr Schiro, "spoke PUBLICLY FOR YEARS about our SECRET amenity".

So, Mr Schiro's "meanings for the same basic terminology" includes
speaking "PUBLICLY FOR YEARS about our SECRET amenity". Does anyone
in this forum agree that you can speak publicly about something for
years and yet it is still a secret? Wouldn't it become NOT SECRET if
you spoke about it publicly for years?

To answer Mr Schiro's last question, yes I see what Mr Schiro mean(s)
now by "not quite open". Mr Schiro has misnamed this thread. It is
not about the garden, or anything that might be wrong with it. It is
about secrecy. Actually, it is about Mr Schiro's idea of what
constitutes secrecy. Mr Schiro does not belong to the garden. (His
wife does) He does no work there. Yet he posts that because there is
no on line forum for him to write his revelations in, it is, to use
his words, "not quite open" (Code for secret). This is kind of like
Mr Schiro asking Ray Walls to canvass the town to find out a good time
to hold meetings Mr Schiro doesn't attend.
Here is Mr Schiro's words about CDD Meetings. You can find them in
his Feb 10th post "Beware CDD Attorneys!"
"I used to attend Harmony CDD meetings until I realized that it is a
total waste of my time attempting to communicate with CDD supervisors
that way."
So Mr Schiro wants to sit at his keyboard instead of attending CDD
meetings, and now instead of going to the garden and getting his hands
dirty, (he let's his wife do that) he wants to sit at his keyboard and
give us his great knowledge about gardening, and there is something
wrong with the garden if he is unable to.

So we have here a complaint, not that the garden isn't available to
all residents, or even that anything is wrong with the garden at all,
but only that Mr Schiro is not part of the conversation.

On Dec 26, 6:23 pm, "Geo" <IIDIMGRLA...@spammotel.com> wrote:
> This is a response to a post on another thread (see "Harmony Festivals",http://groups.google.com/group/harmonyfl/msg/a6c16c0f07cab58d).
>
> David Leeman wrote:
>
>     Concerning the garden, Mr Schiro writes, "Now that we
>     have a budding community garden in Harmony (one that's
>     not quite open, but time will tell)".  What exactly
>     does "not quite open" mean?  It sounds like some are
>     excluded, but Mr Schiro does not say that outright.  I
>     wonder if Mr Schiro could elaborate on that statement
>     and provide some evidence to back it up.  I have been
>     gardening for more than a year, and as far as I know no
>     one has ever been turned down.  It is my understanding
>     that any Harmony resident may ask for a plot and start
>     gardening right away.  Is this not correct?
>
> First, I must admit that I am a little leery Dave. You and I often seem to
> have different meanings for the same basic terminology. I suspect that this
> may be happening again with the term "open".
>
> My use of the term "open" relates to my previous use of its antonym,
> "secrecy", as defined in the post "What Constitutes Secrecy in an Open
> Society?" (seehttp://groups.google.com/group/harmonyfl/msg/5e7e9dd4ebade784). In my
> opinion, wherever we have "public secrecy" we also lack "openness".
>
> What follows is an example of what I mean (ie. a formerly completely open
> activity).
>
> Here is the public newsgroup originally established (with my help) by Bill
> Fife, Harmony's Activity Director, for the purpose of an open exchange of
> ideas related to the proposed new amenity known as the "Harmony Community
> Gardens":
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/harmonyflgardens
>
> As you can see, the gardens newsgroup got started in June of 2008. You can
> also see that after many fair and reasonable exchanges by several different
> people, all discussion suddenly ceased in March of 2009 (without warning and
> without explanation). That is what I was referring to by my last post there
> in January of this year (see "Community Garden Resurrected?",http://tinyurl.com/72k4r93). As you may recall, you also made one last

Geo

Dec 27, 2011, 6:52:17 PM12/27/11
to harm...@googlegroups.com
As I said, I am leery about having any kind of discussion with you Dave. In
my experience, you do not communicate in good faith. I have even asked you
before not to mention my wife in this forum (since she is no part of any of
this), yet you lack the simple decency to honor that request. She doesn't
like it Dave. Please stop.

As anyone can see, David Leeman blathers on and on and on, but he doesn't
really say much of any value, IMHO.

Suffice it to say, there are a few folks who would prefer that some things
not be discussed openly and in public. Dave is a defender of that kind of
"open secrecy" (eg. "Let's talk amongst ourselves. Outsiders need not be
concerned about whatever it is we are saying or doing.") I am a defender of
just the opposite: complete openness, transparency and accountability.

That's it in a nutshell. And the more I get Dave talking about it publicly,
the more open it gets. Thanks Dave!

BTW, while my full-time job doesn't really permit me enough time to work in
the community garden, my hands do get dirty now and then. The first
attachment shows my oregano plant in its 4 gallon bucket. Its the same plant
that's been growing there for years now. It's a monster! The other shows my
basil plants growing in milk jugs. The leaves are a little on the smallish
side and the plants are now going to seed. But they are all very healthy
even though there are no holes in the jug bottoms (ie. not necessary,
contrary to popular belief).

2011-12-27 10.06.34.jpg
2011-12-27 10.07.37.jpg

Geo

Jan 6, 2012, 10:23:07 PM1/6/12
to harm...@googlegroups.com
Note: This open letter is the culmination of a long exchange of emails
between myself and various members of the new garden group in Harmony. The
full exchange appears at the end of this message. I believe that this sad
result makes my previous point that the new gardens group is "not quite
open". You can decide for yourself.

I am sorry that Marylin et al seem to be equating "openness", "sharing" and
"inclusion" with "trouble". Sadly, this is also what the developer does. We
also seem to have a different understanding of the words "cruel", "kind" and
"caring".

Where is the cruelty in the offer "I would also like to share whatever
successes or failures I have had with my own home gardening"? Where is the
kindness or caring in the rebuff "I find you to be the kind of person who is
intrusive in something that is none of your business and your kind are not
wanted in our garden community"?

I acknowledge that Marylin and Lisa deserve credit for their efforts at
finally getting the gardens underway. But I am also very disappointed that
they can't be completely open about it in this age of open communications.
Fear of writing something that might offend the developer should not be the
overriding concern of Harmony residents. Such should only be the concern of
developer employees like Greg Golgowski.

Anyway, I get the message folks. So this will be my last email to this
private little "community" garden group.

But before I go, some disclosure is appropriate at this point, don't you
think so Nettie and Dave?

We all understand that resident coordinators like Marylin and Lisa are
beholden to the developer and they must follow developer instructions. But
many folks are likely unaware of the long history that precedes Nettie and
Dave's declared positions on this subject. Here is a link that documents
their mutual membership in another exclusive and secretive group that is
also beholden to the developer, the Harmony Horse Amenity:

Harmony Horse Amenity Q & A - Records
http://tinyurl.com/ltkdg8

The names of Nettie and Dave appear in private meeting minutes about the
previous "open secret" amenity controlled by the developer. I think that
Nettie and Dave would be happy if the gardens amenity turns out the same
way. That is where this all seems to be headed.

What I feared years ago appears to be happening again. First the developer
turns over some free land to a small group of its supporters. Then it
hinders any public discourse about the group's activities ultimately leading
to the exclusion of certain Harmony residents. This outcome for the
community garden was predicted years ago when Bob Evans made the unilateral
decision to install the gardens amenity on developer land rather than on CDD
land.

I will bore you with no more of this. You can continue to do whatever you
think is right, as will I.

For those of you unfamiliar with the history of the Harmony Community
Gardens dating back to 2008, here it is:

http://groups.google.com/group/HarmonyFLgardens

FYI and contrary to Marylin's false claim, the original community gardens
did not fail, as you can read for yourself. It was never allowed to get
started by the developer controlled CDD until it was forced onto developer
land. This was done so that the developer could control access to it. This
fact is documented in CDD meeting minutes (see
http://groups.google.com/group/harmonyfl/msg/30d0e39ef81334d1 ).

For those of you unfamiliar with the history of Harmony, much of it is
documented here:

http://groups.google.com/group/HarmonyFL

I will continue to express my opinions about the so-called "Community
Gardens" (aka "Developer Gardens") in this open forum for anyone in Harmony
who may be interested. As stated, I will no longer be emailing to the
private email list. If anyone wants to respond to this (and you also have
the courage to do so in public), please respond in this forum.

Good luck with your gardens and thank you for your time.

'Geo

From: Marylin and Dick Mower <mow...@comcast.net>
To: Traci Gray ; Thomas Belief ; Steve Josephson ; Shad
Tome ; 'Rodrigo mella' ; Richard Mapes ; Nimi Schiro ;
Nettie Bartel ; 'MICHELLE A. CHAMBERS' ; Lisa Lewis ;
Le & Dan Drake ; Joanna Goodhue ; jon...@cfl.rr.com;
Greg Golgowski ; Eric and Jeannie Pfefferkorn ; Dick
Mower ; Deb Walsh ; Dawn Miller ; David Leeman ; Cyndi
Conklin ; 'Cara Walls' ; Bill Fife ; Allan Santacruz ;
Mike Scarborough
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:35 AM
Subject: Free plants donated by the Spirit Farm

Hi everyone,
Dick has just picked up Cabbage and broccoli plants
donated by Ray at . the Spirit Farm. They need to be
put in the ground today so Dick will be down at the
garden at 2pm sharp for you to get your plants. If you
have any questions, please call me on my cell phone at
603-731-0637
Thanks,
Marylin

Jan 16, 2012, 11:08:20 PM1/16/12
to HarmonyFL
Forum members, I bring you the latest episode of "Mr George Schiro's
How to win friends and influence people."
Here is the story "in a nutshell". There is a community garden in
Harmony. Mr Schiro is not a member of the garden. There is an email
list of gardeners. Since Mr Schiro is not a member of the community
garden, he is not on the list. Mr Schiro asked to be on the list, and
was refused. Mr Schiro insisted that he be included in the list and
was again refused. Mr Schiro is angry.

That is the whole story. The garden is open to all residents. No one
has been excluded. There is a Google forum for the garden (in
addition to this one) that anyone can join, where anyone can post. No
one is excluded. So what's the problem?

However, Mr Schiro's account is factually challenged. Let's go
through his post and see where the discrepancies are.

Mr Schiro writes this.
"I am sorry that Marylin et al seem to be equating "openness",
"sharing" and
"inclusion" with "trouble". Sadly, this is also what the developer
does."

Mr Schiro is incorrect. "Marylin et al" (which includes me) do NOT
equate openness, sharing, and inclusion with trouble. It is Mr Schiro
himself who is equated with trouble. Many Harmony residents have
experienced Mr Schiro's twisted world view, bad manners, and personal
attacks and can be forgiven for not wanting to suffer more of the
same. As usual, Mr Schiro senses that people dislike him, but is
unable to discern that it is his actions which cause this dislike.
Instead he blames "developer secrecy" and "supporters of the
developer".

Mr Schiro acknowledging that "Marylin and Lisa deserve credit for
their efforts at finally getting the gardens underway" sounds nice,
but Mr Schiro gets his facts wrong. The Developer got the garden
going, not Marylin and Lisa. It was the Developer who suggested
making their failed pumpkin patch into a community garden. It was the
developer who paid to get pipe laid so there is running water at each
plot. It was the Developer who had the garden tilled with a tractor
at their expense. Marylin and Lisa volunteered to be coordinators
after the garden became a reality.
----------
Mr Schiro writes
"But I am also very disappointed that they can't be completely open
about it in this age of open communications. Fear of writing
something that might offend the developer should not be the overriding
concern of Harmony residents."
----------
So we again see the attitude that nothing is "completely open" unless
Mr Schiro is included. Never mind that there is a garden forum that
anyone can join, where anyone can post, there's an email list that Mr
Schiro is not on so there must be something secret going on. Also,
how does Mr Schiro make the connection that people who will not let
him join their list somehow have an "overriding concern" that they
might write "something that might offend the developer"? Seems like
their overriding concern is to avoid Mr Schiro.
----------
Mr Schiro writes,
"What I feared years ago appears to be happening again. First the
developer turns over some free land to a small group of its supporters
(the horse owners). Then it hinders any public discourse about the
group's activities ultimately leading to the exclusion of certain
Harmony residents. This outcome for the community garden was predicted
years ago when Bob Evans made the unilateral decision to install the
gardens amenity on developer land rather than on CDD land."
----------
Once again, there's what Mr Schiro writes and then there's... the rest
of the story. First, Mr Schiro posted on Dec 14th that Bob Evans
"made the secret horse deal with a few residents in exchange for their
silence". How is it that Mr Evans needs to "silence" his
"supporters"? Wouldn't you be silencing your critics? Mr Schiro
apparently wants to have it both ways. First the horse people were
critics who needed a deal for their silence, now they are supporters
who aid the developer.
Second, there are no "supporters" of the developer. Mr Schiro is
simply displaying his manichaen view of Harmony, in that you are
either with him or you are with the developer. Since the gardeners
are against including him on their email list, they must be with the
developer. So the developer did not "turn over some free land to a
small group of its supporters" as Mr Schiro contends, they allowed the
land to be used by any resident willing to put in the work.

Next Mr Schiro states that the developer "hinders any public discourse
about the group's activities". Last time I checked, the garden
coordinators were residents (Miss Marylin and Miss Lisa) not developer
employees, and he provides no evidence whatsoever that they or the
developer are hindering discourse other than that he is not on the
list.

Finally, Mr Schiro writes that these travesties will ultimately lead
"to the exclusion of certain Harmony residents (from the garden).
Shouldn't Mr Schiro provide us with the names of these "certain
Harmony residents"? Where is his famous documentation? Who if anyone
has actually been excluded from the garden? I have been a member from
the beginning and I have never once heard of someone being excluded.
Perhaps Mr Schiro could have these people post their stories here in
this public forum so the whole world can see what scoundrels the
developers are for keeping them out of the garden.
----------
Update: Since this was written, Mr Schiro has posted his "Living in
Fear in Harmony" on Jan 9th. It is possible that, because of the
"threatening letter" he received that he is indeed excluded from the
Harmony Community Garden. As far as I know, no other person has been
(or will be) excluded.
----------

Mr Schiro writes about my "membership in another exclusive and
secretive group that is also beholden to the developer, the Harmony
Horse Amenity". This is another of his lies. The whole story was
posted in this public forum by me back in 2006 soon after it
happened. The whole story was also posted by me in 2008 and 2009. Mr
Shiro has written that he "Spoke publicly for years about the secret
horse amenity". There is no secret. It is public knowledge. It has
been from the beginning, and even if it wasn't, how could Mr Schiro
speak publicly about it for years and it still be a secret?
----------
Mr Schiro writes that he, "think(s) that Nettie and Dave would be
happy if the gardens amenity turns out the same way (as the horses).
That is where this all seems to be headed."
----------
Oh really? He thinks that? Based on what exactly? This
characterization of us as mean spirited, selfish, and unkind comes
from nowhere but his own personal dislike for us, and his penchant for
attacking people who disagree with him. It has no basis in reality.
I will not speak for myself but, unlike Mr Schiro, Miss Nettie is one
of the nicest people in town. She has been a great addition to this
community, and is a friend to many. To slander her by saying she
hopes the garden will turn out badly (without a shred of evidence to
back up that opinion) just shows how low Mr Schiro is willing to go.
If you read Miss Nettie's email, you see that she seeks harmony. Mr
Schiro sows only discord. Who would you want in your garden group?
----------
Mr Schiro includes his email exchange with the garden people. At the
end he includes one of his posts to this forum which includes a couple
of digs at me personally. He writes that he is "leery about having
any kind of discussion with" (me). In (his) experience, (I) do not
communicate in good faith."
So we are led to believe that Mr Schiro communicates "in good faith",
while I do not. Let's have a few examples of Mr Schiro's "good faith"
communications.
Mr Schiro posted (in the request for Fred Hawkins thread), "Starwood /
Harmony Development Company is a very secretive organization". In his
with developer (Starwood) employees and others who have access to
information".
In my post on the Request for Fred Hawkins thread, I wrote, "lots of
residents here in Harmony are aware of what this mailing is about".
In the Message to Jim Warren thread Mr Schiro wrote that I talk "about
how everyone in Harmony but (Mr Schiro) knows what the developer is up
to".
In addition, in my post on the Message to Fred Hawkins thread I wrote,
"I have discussed this with a number of fellow Harmony residents, so
they know about it as well." In his reply to that post he wrote, "So
whatever information Dave has about this public hearing, as usual he
is keeping it to himself."
And of course, let's not forget that Mr Schiro left out significant
facts in his "What's wrong with the CDD?" post about his Freedom of
Information Request. He then slandered the board members by comparing
them to the "sleaziest tobacco attorneys" when they had done nothing
wrong. Was that "communicating in good faith? Were any of those
examples "communicating in good faith?" I leave it to the readers to
decide for themselves.