Harmony Horse Amenity Q & A - Conclusion

Geo

Sep 12, 2009, 8:10:24 PM9/12/09
to harm...@googlegroups.com
David Leeman and his wife, CDD Supervisor Kerul Kassel and a few others have
exclusively benefited from a special arrangement with the developer. Unlike
any other residents, they have been boarding their horses in Harmony free of
charge for almost 4 years now. This is a fact that Dave freely admits.

While David now claims that he and Kerul and the others have communicated
with the developer over the years about opening up the Harmony Horse Amenity
to all residents, he has provided no evidence of this. Although it is
plausible that some of these folks may have spoken to a representative of
the developer on this topic, I have serious doubts that they actually
communicated with Bob Evans or Bob Geimer after the contract was signed. If
they did, to what effect? What did they say? How fervent were their
arguments? How sincerely did they express themselves on this matter?
Apparently, we will never know since David has not provided a single
document to support his claims.

Prior to posting the first questions in this Q & A, David hinted at the
conditions under which he would not be responsive (see
http://tinyurl.com/l55ept ):

As long as they are questions, asked to clear up any
misunderstandings you might have, and not accusations
against my wife's character, I will answer them as best
I can.

Here is the complete list of questions asked:

http://tinyurl.com/mycnxh Jan 1 Start Date
http://tinyurl.com/l7g3ms Jan 3 Agreements
http://tinyurl.com/mo36wk Jan 11 Membership
http://tinyurl.com/kv9sg3 Jan 15 Horse Committee
http://tinyurl.com/m57tzq Jan 16 Documents
http://tinyurl.com/ltkdg8 Jan 18 Records
http://tinyurl.com/mnjbam Jan 20 Communication
http://tinyurl.com/mdoo9f Jan 25 Vendors
http://tinyurl.com/dyla57 Jan 27 Cost
http://tinyurl.com/c4kq3u Jan 30 Location
http://tinyurl.com/m65ej9 Jan 31 Trails
http://tinyurl.com/ltynlc Feb 5 Water
http://tinyurl.com/my84zm Feb 7 Availability
http://tinyurl.com/kvj6pt Feb 9 Past Efforts at Openness
http://tinyurl.com/m8jknz Feb 11 New Efforts at Openness
http://tinyurl.com/mpbt46 Feb 20 Holding Developer Accountable

There is nothing in any of the original questions that references Kerul
Kassel (other than as a member of the group of horse folks with access to
the Harmony Horse Amenity). There is nothing that states or implies any
"accusations against my wife's [Kerul's] character".

Yet David did everything he could to derail my queries, change the subject
and deflect the questions by making me the subject of his own inquiry.

The questions were plain and simple. They attempted to get at the facts
about the Harmony Horse Amenity. Only after David's failure to answer the
questions did the exchange degenerate into acrimony unbecoming to either of
us.

This Q & A started way back in January of this year. It has been more than 8
months since. There are 16 sets of questions (35 questions in all). Each set
consists of 1 to 4 short questions.

Dave answered 3 of the 35 questions, only the first 3. Here is Dave's first
answer (see http://tinyurl.com/mycnxh , HTML entities were removed for
readability):

Sorry, I don't keep a diary with dates of everything.
I've given an accurate description of how things
happened, but the dates are beyond my ability to
remember. The horses were moved to Lost field on Jan
1st '06. Why would this be important?

We can already detect David's reluctance in his very first response. Anyone
with common sense already understood the importance of the "Start Date"
question before I responded to Dave's counter question.

As soon as I asked about the agreements with the developer, David's attitude
degenerated even further to the point of non-cooperation. Here is his
initial response to the "Agreements" questions (see
http://tinyurl.com/l7g3ms ):

George, I fail to see where any of this is going. ...
As far as I'm concerned, that ends the discussion. The
facts are not in dispute. We keep horses here. Others
are not allowed to.

So in David's mind that is all there is to it. No one needs to know the
details. No one needs to care about how a handful of people got to keep
their horses in Harmony or why nothing has changed with the Harmony Horse
Amenity in almost 4 years.

Thus David's offer to "answer them as best I can" was clearly not genuine.
He backed out almost immediately. But why? Because, David knew that closer
scrutiny of the horse boarding agreement (among other things) would reveal
why he and Kerul and the others have not spoken publicly about this issue.

David has also repeatedly claimed that "we have done nothing wrong". Yet
putting that dubious claim aside, many questions remain.

What has David and Kerul and the others done right?

Is it right for them to have special and exclusive access to 120 acres of
pastureland in Harmony? (see http://tinyurl.com/mkfa53 )

Is it right for them to receive a special gift from the developer valued at
more than $60,000? ($10,000 per horse so far, see
http://tinyurl.com/nx7zo3 )

Is it right for them to secretly pressure the developer to get this free
gift? (see http://tinyurl.com/m94op7 )

Is it right for them to be at the mercy of the developer's withdrawal of
this gift at any moment and for any reason even if the land is not needed
for anything else? (see http://tinyurl.com/mnslrq )

Is it right for them to hold secret horse meetings in Harmony, yet discuss
nothing about how to open up the horse amenity to others? (see
http://tinyurl.com/ltkdg8 )

Is it right for them to claim that they have been helping to open up the
horse amenity for the entire community of Harmony by the choice they made,
yet refuse to show anything to support that claim? (see
http://tinyurl.com/kqmqwd and http://tinyurl.com/kup9s7 )

Is it right for them to have access to a secret community garden that
excludes 99% of the community? (see http://tinyurl.com/nno5ko )

Is it right for them to tacitly agree not to publicly complain about the
horse situation (or anything else) in Harmony in exchange for all of the
above? (see http://tinyurl.com/mk4ufs )

Is it right for them to try to hide the fact the secret horse boarding
agreement with the developer even exists? (see http://tinyurl.com/l6vr2x )

Who besides themselves have they benefited from their own inaction after
almost 4 years? What other Harmony resident has been helped here?

Maybe it's not wrong Dave, but it certainly isn't right.

James Warren

Sep 13, 2009, 11:10:03 AM9/13/09
to harm...@googlegroups.com
George,

 I am going to answer or sum up my fellings in best way I can, in as fair a mode as I can. I know you wont agree with it, unless I say you are right 100%, but we both know you are not 100% right.

In conclusion, the arrangement is not fair, you are correct. However, both Dave and Kerul have openly admitted this.
But they are in a postion not to be able to do anything about it. Neither are the other families with horses here. But I dont see you naming names George. So you are wrong to pick on just one family.

Whilst it is easy to say what YOU would do in their circumstance, you are not and never will be in their position. So for you to assume or post self rightous comments is wrong.

If I was in their postion, I would take the same stance. Sure they are lucky to be there, but did not give up on calling for a place for their horses with the other families. So why should they give it up now, just because you want them to?
Stop calling for Dave to answer questions you already know or have posted the answer to already. Stop "assuming" you know the answer, when you only know half the story from people who have nothing to gain from telling you a warped view of the situation, and not telling you 100% of what really went on.

If you are really behind a horse facility in Harmony, write to the developer. Be the Chair for a lobby for a facility. Do something proactive with the developer, instead of just pointing an accusing finger at one family, and hiding behind this small unattended forum.

I am sure Dave will post answers to your questions below (not all of them), but they are questions you have posted before, so if I was Dave I would just ignore them.

So, can we assume this is your be all and end all post? ( I need only a yes or no)

Jim