VA still needs to shore up usability of new EHR system

Nancy Anthracite

Jun 19, 2024, 8:27:50 AM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to hard...@googlegroups.com

https://www.nextgov.com/modernization/2024/06/va-still-needs-shore-usability-new-ehr-system-gao-says/397254/

Full report link https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-24-107265.pdf

From the full report:

Electronic health record modernization. The use of electronic health records (EHR) is crucial to helping VA effectively serve veterans. In 2017, VA initiated the EHR Modernization program to manage the replacement of its legacy EHR system. In May 2023, we found that VA’s EHR Modernization program had not fully implemented leading practices for change management. VA also had not established targets to assess user satisfaction or adequately identified and addressed system issues. We identified 10 priority recommendations in this area. For example, we recommended that VA document a VA-specific change management strategy to help avoid the risk of hindering users’ ability to effectively use the electronic health record system. We also recommended that VA establish user satisfaction targets, which would help VA to ensure that future systems are not deployed prematurely and do not pose unnecessary risks to patient health and safety. Our recommendation to evaluate that the system is operationally suitable and effective should help validate that the system satisfies user needs in the operational environment. Implementing these and the seven other recommendations would also help solve existing problems with the system.

--

Nancy Anthracite

Skip

Jun 19, 2024, 7:24:09 PM (13 days ago) Jun 19
to Hardhats
If I remember correctly, if you all dig back pre DOD Cerner pick that there was a congressional hearing that Nancy attended and submitted testimony, where she warned to be careful for what you wish for. However, at the end of the day the two 800 lb. gorillas in the room, DOD and one of the IGs (i don't which one) won the day. The bottom line is the DOD and IG got what they wanted and the Veteran/s and VA medical staff are suffering the consequences of that decision.

Nancy Anthracite

Jun 19, 2024, 8:47:05 PM (13 days ago) Jun 19
to hard...@googlegroups.com, nanth...@earthlink.net

I did not submit testimony for a hearing but I spent umpteen hours pounding the halls of the senate and house office buildings trying to convince people not to abandon VistA.  That was pretty much an exercise in futility although the documents I circulated did get seen as I had several people say, "Oh, I have seen that!" and when I asked them where they got it, they had no idea.  There were lots of "experts" who said, "Oh yes, the VA needs to get rid of VistA" for the usual list of bogus reasons.  I believe one was the GAO and now I believe they are changing their tune quite a bit.

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Rob Kellock

Jun 19, 2024, 9:52:52 PM (13 days ago) Jun 19
to Hardhats
Nancy, do you still have copies of those documents or are they online somewhere?  I live in New Zealand.  Our population is 5 million and our health system's IT situation isn't great, lots of small systems spread throughout our nation. There is talk starting at government level about purchasing a nation-wide EHR system. Based on what little I know about the Kingdom of Jordan's experience, it seems to me that VistA could work for us in New Zealand too. I know this would be a very difficult sell though. When it comes to software, our decision makers seem to be prone to vapourware. We've had numerous fails in various NZ government departments, trying to install large software packages they have been oversold on.

Thanks,

Rob.

Nancy Anthracite

Jun 20, 2024, 10:39:35 AM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to Hardhats, Rob Kellock

> > ---

> > "Hardhats" group.

> > email to hardhats+u...@googlegroups.com.