Roger Baker - Why the VA must keep VistA Healthy

Nancy Anthracite

Aug 24, 2021, 2:48:01 PM8/24/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Sam Habiel

Aug 24, 2021, 3:50:44 PM8/24/21
to hardhats
That's an amazingly good article. But it would be hard to believe that the VA will turn around 20 years of policy on VistA.

--Sam

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Michael O'Neill

Aug 24, 2021, 3:54:22 PM8/24/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
With Roger’s help, we made some of these same points to VA about keeping OSEHRA going. Even with a successful EHRM program, maintaining VistA is important.

Mike

Matt King

Aug 25, 2021, 11:57:22 AM8/25/21
to Hardhats
Wait, they spent 3 years implementing One EHR to ONE site, and there's 170 sites? And it failed? How much did they spend?

Sam Habiel

Aug 25, 2021, 12:47:08 PM8/25/21
to hardhats
Matt,

It took 2 years to put in VistA in one site in Jordan and close to 2 years in OMH in New York. I was on both of those projects. Lots of money was spent in either case. With a system as massive as the VA's, 3 years is good!

--Sam

Nancy Anthracite

Aug 25, 2021, 1:47:47 PM8/25/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Matt King

According to some testimony, they have not paid Cerner all they agreed to because Cerner has not satisfied that part of the contract yet, but once they do .....

--

Nancy Anthracite

On Wednesday, August 25, 2021 11:57:22 AM EDT Matt King wrote:

> Wait, they spent 3 years implementing One EHR to ONE site, and there's 170

> sites? And it failed? How much did they spend?

> On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 3:54:22 PM UTC-4 Mike ONeill wrote:

> > With Roger’s help, we made some of these same points to VA about keeping

> > OSEHRA going. Even with a successful EHRM program, maintaining VistA is

> > important.

> > Mike

> > On Aug 24, 2021, at 3:50 PM, Sam Habiel <sam.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > That's an amazingly good article. But it would be hard to believe that the

> > VA will turn around 20 years of policy on VistA.

> > --Sam

> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 12:48 PM Nancy Anthracite <nanth...@earthlink.net>

> > wrote:

> >> https://fcw.com/articles/2021/08/24/va-vista-healthy-cerner-replace.aspx

> >> ---

> >> "Hardhats" group.

> >> email to hardhats+u...@googlegroups.com.

> >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/11422544.2OAftFahKh%40owl

> > ---

> > "Hardhats" group.

> > email to hardhats+u...@googlegroups.com.

Rob Townley

Oct 23, 2021, 1:23:31 AM10/23/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Matt King, nanth...@earthlink.net
I work in a very small office with a horrible commercial EMR.  Medicare mandates that all EMRs must be able to convert their medical records to a common XML standard so that it can be imported by other EMR vendors.   Practices that fail will not receive the higher levels of payment.  So ett.HealthIT.gov   The Trump VA director that signed off on the transition said that the major reason for dumping VISTA was because the DOD was on CERNER.  Getting active duty medical records to the VA system was too hard.   According to Medicare requirements, both Cerner and VISTA should import and export to a common XML standard.   But instead of making investments like all small doctors office EMR vendors have to make, just dump VISTA was the profit driven solution.   So shortsighted.  In the long run, this will not serve active duty military nor veterans.

--
---

Nancy Anthracite

Oct 23, 2021, 6:51:17 AM10/23/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Rob Townley

Actually, they invested 600M in an Intersystems product to exchange records. One has to ask why that is not enough and they are persisting in spending much, much more in implementing Cerner.

--

Nancy Anthracite

Steven L

Oct 23, 2021, 11:22:11 AM10/23/21
to Hardhats
Baker not saying anything new. When he was at the helm as CIO with the same talking points -- fell on deaf ears at the top.

It was a folly to think COTS EHR would effectively swap out VistA across 120 instances for 19B$.  Even 40B$ would be cheap.   Just look at any of the smaller add-on delivery systems over the years cost (eg kiosk,  patient portal).