Sad news about Mike Henderson

Greg Kreis

Mar 20, 2024, 2:52:15 PMMar 20
to Hard...@googlegroups.com

I am posting this for Ken who wasn't able to get it posted.

Dear Hardhats Community:

I am saddened to report that long time VA VistA Developer and Consultant Mike Henderson passed away suddenly due to a heart attack yesterday. He was just 61. I knew Mike for at least 30 years, and he presently worked for my organization representing us in the best light. Mike was an advocate for ongoing learning, remaining current in all aspects of his work in support of the VA. I spoke with family members, all of which live a few hundred miles away from his home in Silver Spring and they asked if anyone knows the Church he was affiliated with in that area. Mike was active in his church, but they didn’t know its name. If anyone has that information, please let me know and I will share it with his family.

Respectfully,

Ken

 Ken Wagner, President

Henry Elliott and Company, Inc.

Direct: 781-416-9999

Cell: 781-820-6697

kwa...@henrye.com

www.henryelliott.com

--
=================
Greg Kreis

Michael O'Neill

Mar 20, 2024, 3:32:46 PMMar 20
to hard...@googlegroups.com
I am really sad to hear this. I was fortunate enough to work with Mike in the OSEHRA community and on a few VA-related VistA projects. I have his book on HL7 Messaging here on my shelf. Unfortunately, I don’t know what church he was affiliated with.

Very sad news.

Mike

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Skip

Mar 20, 2024, 4:30:59 PMMar 20
to Hardhats
Rest In Peace Mike.

K.S. Bhaskar

Mar 20, 2024, 4:45:21 PMMar 20
to Hardhats
I am sorry to hear this news. RIP Mike.

Regards
– Bhaskar

Tim Frazier

Mar 20, 2024, 4:49:42 PMMar 20
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Oh my goodness.
I worked briefly with Mike at DSS.
He was a great guy and he will be missed in the MUMPS community.

Ed de Moel

Mar 20, 2024, 4:50:29 PMMar 20
to Hardhats

I worked with him for several years, both in HL7 and the VistA Imaging project.
He was always knowledgeable, competent and helpful.
He will be missed.
Condolences from both Kate and me.
Ed

Nancy Anthracite

Mar 20, 2024, 7:38:17 PMMar 20
to Hardhats, Ed de Moel
I have not seen him face to face in years, undoubtedly another thing we can
thank COVID for, but I certainly appreciated his continued presence on
Hardhats. My condolences to his family.
--
Nancy Anthracite

Sam Habiel

Mar 20, 2024, 10:39:32 PMMar 20
to hard...@googlegroups.com
I worked with Mike Henderson over many years. It was wonderful working with him, and he was wonderful to work with. He was always refreshingly honest and would take you aside to tell you what he really thought of something. In the world of mirrors and illusions that is Washington DC, he was a breath of fresh air.

I was his successor at OSEHRA for the position of "Director of Product Management". I had big shoes to fill.

He specialized in VistA Imaging, and as is par of course for Mumpsters, we had many an argument on where to put the NEWs.

He was quite religious, a major point of difference between him and me. I hope for him that there is indeed an afterlife.

--Sam

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Sam Habiel

Mar 20, 2024, 10:51:26 PMMar 20
to hard...@googlegroups.com
I was texting some of my colleagues on projects where Mike and I were involved... Do we know where and when the service will be?

--Sam

grzeis...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2024, 11:19:04 AMMar 21
to Hardhats
We just talked with Mike. What sad news. He was wonderful man. He trained a couple of us in Chicago about all things HL7. Such a great teacher and someone I've always considered a friend.

I am at a loss for words now.

God bless you Mike, dear friend.

Uncle Spicey

Mar 21, 2024, 12:48:50 PMMar 21
to Hardhats
Indeed sad. Does anyone know more details? Garrett Kirin was asking me earlier. Stuart Frank was also shocked to learn. I already let the VistA Imaging folks, whom I still have contact with, know.

dee
;-D

Elsie Casugay

Mar 21, 2024, 5:37:38 PMMar 21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Sad to hear that he passed away.  I worked with Mike for more than 10 years when I worked for the VistA Imaging Project.  He was an excellent programmer and a real nice man.  RIP Mike.  Condolence to the family.

Anyone knows of any details on his funeral?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 20, 2024, at 3:32 PM, 'Michael O'Neill' via Hardhats <hard...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I am really sad to hear this. I was fortunate enough to work with Mike in the OSEHRA community and on a few VA-related VistA projects. I have his book on HL7 Messaging here on my shelf. Unfortunately, I don’t know what church he was affiliated with.

David Whitten

Mar 22, 2024, 11:21:05 AMMar 22
to hard...@googlegroups.com
He was a good man, careful in his thoughts and deeds

Certainly a pillar in our community

Dave Whitten
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/BE2BE55F-2E25-4A42-8E09-2B2F95B30ED2%40gmail.com.

Greg Kreis

Mar 22, 2024, 4:35:24 PMMar 22
to hard...@googlegroups.com

You might contact Ken Wagner (see his details in the original message text below). He is in touch with the family.

Trilby Henderson

Mar 24, 2024, 12:14:57 AMMar 24
to Hardhats
Hello. I am Mike Henderson's niece-in-law.  Ken Wagner shared your messages with me, and I was able to get to here from those messages.  I hope you don't mind me butting in for a minute. Mike had one brother, my husband's dad, two nephews and some great nieces/nephews.  We are all in Ohio/WV.   We are all shocked and dealing with trying to figure out what to do and how to handle things from here. He donated his body to Georgetown University,; those arrangements were clear and documented, but figuring out the rest has been a struggle this week, especially from a distance.  We will be making arrangements for a memorial service.  I think the best thing to do would be to check on his facebook page after Monday or Tuesday and I will try to be sure to put the details there. Please feel free to reach out to me if there is any need; str...@yahoo.com. Thanks for the prayers and kind words.   Trilby Henderson

Trilby Henderson

Mar 29, 2024, 10:21:07 AMMar 29
to Hardhats
Hello again regarding Mike Henderson.  I wanted to get out some information to you all.  I wanted to let you know there will be Requiem Mass at St Pious X in Upper Marboro, MD on Monday, April 1 and at St John's Church in Benwood, WV on Sat April 13, both at 11 am.  Thank you for the kind words that were posted here regarding Mike.  I have printed them out for his brother and family to read.  Please feel free to write something on the legacy.com site as well.  Mike had a whole separate life with work/friends that his family has enjoyed hearing about. It has helped us to hear comments and stories.
Here is Mike’s obit.  Please note there is a service on Monday in Upper Marlboro, one at home here in WV on April 13th.  . We are trying our best to honor him and figure out what his wishes would have been.   Please encourage people to add a comment on legacy.com so that we can read them. Im not sure if the link will work when this posts but you can go to legacy.com and search the name as well.  Thank You. any questons can be directed to shelvahenderson (gmail.com) shelvah...@gmail.com

Sam Habiel

Mar 29, 2024, 10:24:15 AMMar 29
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Trilby. I shared your message with interested colleagues.

—Sam

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats