Changes needed in the EHR - Preferred name, title and gender - Food for thought

Nancy Anthracite

Dec 3, 2021, 5:44:23 PM12/3/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com

"As an employee, one of the biggest challenges is that our systems do not have an area for identifying a veteran's preference for preferred title, gender, or name. I think that is something that would be a beneficial investment for our LGBTQ+ community because there is nothing more embarrassing as an employee than to call a Veteran on the phone and unintentionally offend them. I want to be respectful, but the system doesn't help me do that. I should be able to update this in the chart." - Anonymous VHA Employee

jstc...@linuxfoundation.org

Dec 3, 2021, 8:44:30 PM12/3/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com

This is interesting. I think I’ve been previously told at my last health system that Epic has like 17 choices in the dropdown…

Best Regards,

Jim St.Clair

Executive Director

Linux Foundation Public Health

(228) 273-4893

www.lfph.io

Connect with me: https://calendly.com/jstclair-4

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Nancy Anthracite

Dec 4, 2021, 6:44:31 AM12/4/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, jstc...@linuxfoundation.org

Epic may have it but native VistA does not.

--

Nancy Anthracite

On Friday, December 3, 2021 8:44:25 PM EST jstc...@linuxfoundation.org wrote:

> This is interesting. I think I’ve been previously told at my last health system that Epic has like 17 choices in the dropdown…

> Best Regards,

> Jim St.Clair

> Executive Director

> Linux Foundation Public Health

> (228) 273-4893

jstc...@linuxfoundation.org

Dec 4, 2021, 10:31:41 AM12/4/21
to nanth...@earthlink.net, hard...@googlegroups.com

Is this quote part of a larger document or article?

Best Regards,

Jim St.Clair

Executive Director

Linux Foundation Public Health

(228) 273-4893

www.lfph.io

Dave G

Dec 4, 2021, 11:45:32 AM12/4/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Epic does have it. I wonder if the RPMS fork as something. It has been awhile since I used RPMS but it had tribe, blood quantum, and a PatName field that allow things Like "Kills with Water" as a name

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Nancy Anthracite

Dec 4, 2021, 12:29:47 PM12/4/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Yes, but I did not keep the original reference.

--

Nancy Anthracite

On Saturday, December 4, 2021 10:31:34 AM EST jstc...@linuxfoundation.org wrote:

> Is this quote part of a larger document or article?

> Best Regards,

> Jim St.Clair

> Executive Director

> Linux Foundation Public Health

> (228) 273-4893

ivaldes

Dec 4, 2021, 12:55:55 PM12/4/21
to Hardhats
Maybe some of these already existing fields can be used? Patient shown is fictitious. Otherwise, adding this is trivial.
demographics.png

Nancy Anthracite

Dec 4, 2021, 4:28:03 PM12/4/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, ivaldes

YOu are right, some already exist but the preferred name does not and it would be a bit more involved than just adding a field since they would need to display in the GUIs.

--

Nancy Anthracite

On Saturday, December 4, 2021 12:55:55 PM EST ivaldes wrote:

> Maybe some of these already existing fields can be used? Patient shown is

> fictitious. Otherwise, adding this is trivial.

> On Saturday, December 4, 2021 at 11:29:47 AM UTC-6 Nancy Anthracite wrote:

> > Yes, but I did not keep the original reference.

> > Nancy Anthracite

Kevin Toppenberg

Dec 16, 2021, 8:29:06 AM12/16/21
to Hardhats
Ignacio, I think that GUI you displayed is not in vanilla CPRS.  I think I added that.

Kevin

ivaldes

Dec 16, 2021, 12:29:13 PM12/16/21
to Hardhats
Kevin indeed it is your handiwork with a few upgrades like designee and the report that goes with designee...

rrichards

Jan 1, 2022, 11:49:39 AM1/1/22
to Hardhats
VA updated CPRS four months ago to include an additional,  gender-neutral identifer so clinicians can communicate with veterans using their preferred pronoun.

Rafael

Nancy Anthracite

Jan 1, 2022, 11:53:26 AM1/1/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com, rrichards

But I don't believe it includes their preferred name, correct, unless, perhaps, they have had a legal name change?

--

Nancy Anthracite

rrichards

Jan 1, 2022, 12:04:50 PM1/1/22
to Hardhats
A few references to VA policy in this area:

Department of Veterans Affairs VHA DIRECTIVE 1341(2)

Veterans Health Administration Transmittal Sheet

Washington, DC 20420 May 23, 2018

PROVIDING HEALTH CARE FOR TRANSGENDER AND INTERSEX VETERANS

1. REASON FOR ISSUE: This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) directive revises
VHA policy for the respectful delivery of health care to transgender and intersex
Veterans who are enrolled in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care
system or are otherwise eligible for VA care.

2. SUMMARY OF MAJOR CHANGES:

a. Amendment dated, June 26, 2020, incorporates Appendix B which includes additional
guidance for LGBT Veteran Care Coordinators (VCCs).

b. Amendment dated May 24, 2019, updates language to Appendix A in paragraph 22.

c. Major changes include:

(1) Updates to language and definitions to reflect current nomenclature.

(2) Removal of content which conflicts with changes to the Computerized Patient
Record System (CPRS).

(3) Additional oversight responsibilities for the Under Secretary for Health and the
Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Operations and Management.

(4) Delineated responsibilities for the Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN)
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Lead and LGBT Veteran Care
Coordinator.

(5) Updates to the Frequently Asked Questions.

(6) Inclusion of sections on Training and Records Management, in accordance with
VHA Directive 6330(3), Controlled National Policy/Directives Management System,
dated June 24, 2016.

3. RELATED ISSUES: None.

4. REPONSIBLE OFFICE: The

4. POLICY
It is VHA policy that staff provide clinically appropriate, comprehensive, Veteran-
centered care with respect and dignity to enrolled or otherwise eligible transgender and
intersex Veterans, including but not limited to hormonal therapy, mental health care,
preoperative evaluation, and medically necessary post-operative and long-term care
following gender confirming/affirming surgery. It is VHA policy that Veterans must be
addressed based upon their self-identified gender identity; the use of Veteran’s
preferred name and pronoun is required. NOTE: VA does not provide or fund gender
confirming/affirming surgeries because VA regulation excludes them from the medical
benefits package. In addition, VA does not provide plastic reconstructive surgery, in
accordance with the medical benefits package and VHA Directive 1091, Plastic
Reconstructive Surgery, dated February 21, 2014