Agile at 20: The Failed Rebellion

Sam Habiel

Jul 27, 2021, 12:09:03 PM7/27/21
to hardhats
https://www.simplethread.com/agile-at-20-the-failed-rebellion/

This ties in with Roger Baker's article, which complains that
everything has been done as Waterfall methodology
(https://fcw.com/articles/2021/07/26/comment-veterans-affairs-ehrm-roger-baker.aspx).

Those who worked on government contracts (me included) will like
reading that article, as it gives good perspective.

--Sam

Joseph Dal Molin

Jul 27, 2021, 2:19:17 PM7/27/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com

I have yet to see a procurement process and eventually contract that doesn't genetically modify an agile initiative into a set of waterfall deliverables. I keep thinking of SpaceX vs. Boeing.... what VA needs to improve VistA is SpaceX  ....what they keep getting because of the "procurement" process and mindset is Boeing's SLS

J.

ivaldes

Jul 28, 2021, 1:56:23 PM7/28/21
to Hardhats
All software methodologies fail on the Pareto Principle.

Steven L

Jul 28, 2021, 2:30:30 PM7/28/21
to Hardhats
80% work done by 20% of staff -- check.

Agile is nice.  Centralizing OIT helped some things, but also stifled others.   All the great advances that came out of VA over the decades were local startup and gained momentum to critical mass and dissemination via boards and ultimately CampCPRS.

That died....along with VistA as we knew it.

Perhaps reincarnation is possible if VA realizes that it needs to reengage the local stakeholders to drive the GUI at the very least.   Cerner may deliver the basic integration with DoD (which Janus did in read fashion); but the ultimate need to deliver efficient AND effective care at the end-user fingertips --- Nope.  :(

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

ivaldes

Jul 29, 2021, 3:33:57 PM7/29/21
to Hardhats
The VistA/CPRS VA uses. 1922 Model T Ford (I own one) Reliable, durable, cost-effective, American classic, gets the job done, parts readily available, open architecture:
modelt.jpg
The VistA/CPRS (Astronaut) I use every day (I don't own this one but am building one): Seriously upgraded for speed and handling, powerful, creature comforts, new clinician features galore while retaining original architecture:
 modelthotrod.jpg