Richard Davis

Ed de Moel

Sep 2, 2021, 10:31:37 AM9/2/21
to Hardhats

Nancy Anthracite

Sep 2, 2021, 2:39:53 PM9/2/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Ed de Moel
I am sorry to hear that. It is such a cruel twist that he died from
Alzheimer's as his intellect was so important to him and others.

--
Nancy Anthracite

George Timson

Sep 4, 2021, 11:42:22 AM9/4/21
to Hardhats
Yes, but Richard didn't just have the best brain, there was no one among the hardhats who worked harder for "the cause" in the '80's.  I remember him telling me that he traveled so often to so many VA sites that "home" was just the place where he did his laundry between flights.  He was Chairman of the Mumps Users Group for four years -- the record.  My good friend.  Rest in Peace, Richard.

Kevin Toppenberg

Sep 15, 2021, 11:46:49 AM9/15/21
to Hardhats
Didn't Richard write a book on mumps?  I seem to remember reviewing this when I was getting started.
My condolences to his family.  I wish I could have known him.

Kevin

Nancy Anthracite

Sep 15, 2021, 12:35:13 PM9/15/21
to Kevin Toppenberg, Hardhats
That was Richard Walter's, who also died within the last year, as I recall.
Nancy Anthracite --

George Timson

Sep 15, 2021, 2:12:51 PM9/15/21
to Hardhats

Richard DAVIS did write a different manual, two volumes, on FileMan, the second of which was published in 1990.

Wolfgang Giere

Sep 15, 2021, 5:56:17 PM9/15/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Toppenberg

Are you sure, Nancy, that Richard F. Walters died? Isn't he still alive?

Wolfgang

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: Re: [Hardhats] Re: Richard Davis

Datum: 2021-09-15T19:04:24+0200

Von: "Nancy Anthracite" <nanth...@earthlink.net>

An: "hard...@googlegroups.com" <hard...@googlegroups.com>, "Kevin Toppenberg" <kdt...@gmail.com>, "Hardhats" <hard...@googlegroups.com>

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Nancy Anthracite

Sep 15, 2021, 7:46:05 PM9/15/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Wolfgang Giere, Kevin Toppenberg

I just back tracked. He died in January of 2021. I made and entry in his "Legacy Book". Ed De Moel announced it on Hardhats on 1/25/21 saying,

"I just received news that Professor Walters died last week Monday.

He was 90 years old and will be sorely missed."

--

Nancy Anthracite

Wolfgang Giere

Sep 16, 2021, 10:42:12 AM9/16/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Toppenberg

Sorry, It slipped my mind or I missed that. He was a good friend and we cooperated. His Micro-Mumps on the basis of TDL (Transistion Diagram Language) was finished in my Center for Meical Informatics  in Frankfrut by the author who started it at UCD as assistant of R. W. Walters. Together with Ichiro Wakai we developed GNOSIS = Mumps integrated with Japans 4th Generation language PROLOG. I met Dick Walters last time at the VistA meeting in Sacramento. He came to the conference and I visited him at home in Davis, CA. RIP!

Btw. Does anybody know how his wife Shipley is?

Best regards

Wolfgang Giere

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: Re: AW: [Hardhats] Re: Richard Davis

Datum: 2021-09-16T01:46:07+0200

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/6354603.2oYQqyKyXT%40owl.

Valerie J H Powell

Sep 16, 2021, 11:56:06 AM9/16/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
I thought he authored a book on FileMan, but I couldn't find my copy just now.
Valerie

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Nancy Anthracite

Sep 16, 2021, 12:04:11 PM9/16/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Valerie J H Powell
On Amazon for $45

FileMan: A database manager : user manual Unknown Binding – January 1, 1987
by Richard G Davis (Author)

--
Nancy Anthracite
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/
4e296b61-5957-46da-8936-5f144629171cn%40googlegroups.com?
utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>