Have VistA systems in the VA been successfully cyberattacked?

George Timson

May 21, 2024, 11:34:14 AMMay 21
to Hardhats
The context of my question is a new, lengthy article, https://www.businessinsider.com/oracle-cerner-health-larry-ellison-28-billion-deadly-gamble-veterans-2024-5 which tells the story of the Cerner replacement from the viewpoint of Mister Database himself, Larry Ellison.  The subtitle: "Larry Ellison bet $28 billion he could revolutionize healthcare. So why are so many patients dying?"  Pretty tough stuff.

Perhaps it's just as well that our VistA systems are barely mentioned in the article:
"...While VistA, the bespoke EHR that Cerner had replaced, was outdated and vulnerable to cyberattacks, it was generally reliable and user-friendly...."
But I want to know about this "vulnerable to cyberattacks" business.  My body (like yours) is "vulnerable to disease", but this morning I feel pretty well, thanks.  Has VistA's "vulnerability" actually resulted in problems at the VA?

--George Timson

iq100

May 21, 2024, 1:29:24 PMMay 21
to Hardhats
The original 'vulnerable to disease" created by MUMPS and Fileman, was the "Disease of Loss of Centralized Power, Control, and Money".  Fileman allowed a non-programmer to create a user group computer interactions at the most local level: the USER GROUP, who best knOW their local departmental changingg problems, and could incrementally build computer screens and interactions, that solved their problem.  Empowering a user group to change user screens and interactions, as new insights and needs arose! A potentially fatal disease of DEATH to centralized, highly paid, IT heads and their departments. Now spanning multiple VA facilities. Non-programmers are no fools.  They know what systems "butter their bread" their personal economic needs.  Butter to a high paid administrator often is not butter to the patient.

https://www.va.gov/budget/docs/summary/fy2024-va-budget-in-brief.pdf

mikeginsburg (null)

May 21, 2024, 1:30:48 PMMay 21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
And how is VistA “outdated”?
Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2024, at 11:34 AM, George Timson <gti...@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

K.S. Bhaskar

May 21, 2024, 1:31:59 PMMay 21
to Hardhats
It's easy to generate FUD.

Regards
– Bhaskar

David Whitten

May 26, 2024, 7:09:45 PMMay 26
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Cat Fud ? (See attached)

Just a bit of humor on a Sunday afternoon.

Dave Whitten

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hardhats" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/52827b26-f140-486f-b9d4-8eceec93c041n%40googlegroups.com.
89C8BD22-10A7-43B3-813D-FFC6BD64FA62.jpeg