norton guides to .chm

fdaniele

Nov 21, 2022, 10:14:39 AM11/21/22
to Harbour Users
good morning to all the friends.

I want to convert my old guides in .ng format (do you remember? :-) ) into the microsoft .chm format.

there is a program ot harbour routine to do it ?

thanks in advance.

bet regards

Daniele

Fabian Toro

Nov 21, 2022, 10:18:25 AM11/21/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

Buenos Dias

Visite la siguiente pagina

http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/

Fabian

Mario Rossi

Nov 22, 2022, 2:09:03 AM11/22/22
to Harbour Users
Hello,
try HelpNDoc for Windows it's free.

fdaniele

Nov 22, 2022, 9:22:20 AM11/22/22
to Harbour Users
sorry friends, but these solutions not works ...
:-)

Klas Engwall

Nov 22, 2022, 11:15:30 AM11/22/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniele,

> sorry friends, but these solutions not works ...
> :-)

Well, if you absolutely need those guides converted to .chm, then I
suppose you would have to write that utility yourself. DaveP has
documented the .ng format in as much detail as was possible (follow the
link Fabian provided).

But if you rather need to be able to search and read the guides for your
own use, then then his Expert Guide for Windows (WEG) is a perfectly
working Windows program written in Delphi - not a memory resident
program like the old NG application was. I use WEG all the time. It is
very handy.

Regards,
Klas

> Il giorno martedì 22 novembre 2022 alle 08:09:03 UTC+1
> rossi.ma...@gmail.com ha scritto:
>
> Hello,
> try HelpNDoc for Windows it's free.
>
> https://www.helpndoc.com <https://www.helpndoc.com>

fdaniele

Nov 22, 2022, 11:44:17 AM11/22/22
to Harbour Users
thanks mr. Klas , you are very kind

i also use weg, is perfect but i want a quickly solution for ng of superlib, grumpfish and also the ng of our unforgetable CLIPPER !!

there is a post about it but in the program it is not found.

I remember that there is a class to open the ng, now I try to look for it, it could be useful to many.
1000 thanks for the answeres and greetings to the whole forum.

Daniele

jlca...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2022, 8:22:57 AM11/23/22
to Harbour Users
This may be the website that was mentioned in the post;

Joe

fdaniele

Nov 23, 2022, 9:38:41 AM11/23/22
to Harbour Users
thanks mr. Joe

Fabian Toro

Nov 23, 2022, 12:10:59 PM11/23/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

Visite el anterior oasis de clipper, lo encuentra en esta direccion

hay fuentes de algunas librerias

http://web.archive.org/web/20160324034650/http://www.the-oasis.net/index.php3

HBQuerier

Dec 4, 2022, 9:32:40 PM12/4/22
to Harbour Users
Were you able to locate what you needed?  Long ago, I use to have Omni Software's Norton Decompiler, but cannot locate it now.

Although these don't purport to convert directly to Windows .CHM format, there's at least 2 converters available, but you would have to compile them:

I don't know if this is the official version of the Norton Guide Decompiler, or limited in any way

fdaniele

Dec 5, 2022, 8:56:30 AM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
I sincerely thank all the friends who have tried to help me in this endeavor, my wish was to convert superlib, grump and more NG to use with notepad++ but I think it is not possible without excessive work
thanks friends

thanks also to show me the link of the great Oasis !!

mery christmas

Daniele

Alex Strickland

Dec 5, 2022, 9:11:41 AM12/5/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

A little off topic, but does anyone know if the Clipper 5 norton guide files are available? I have lost my originals over the years.

--

Regards

Alex

fdaniele

Dec 5, 2022, 9:19:13 AM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
voilà  :-)

Daniele

C5204GB.NG
C52G02B.NG
C52G06B.NG
C52G04B.NG
C52G07B.NG
C52G01B.NG
C52G05B.NG
C52G03B.NG

Bob Burns

Dec 5, 2022, 11:42:43 AM12/5/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex

I have a collection of Norton Guide files on my PC from many years ago, seven starting with C5.... , three starting with CL.... plus four for Blinker and at leat two for Funcky something or other.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns G3OOU, G-QRP 6907, @BobFBurns
Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club: https://cprec.chessck.co.uk/
Admin/sales site: http://www.g3oou.co.uk/
Technical site: www.qsl.net/g3oou

HBQuerier

Dec 5, 2022, 11:48:07 AM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
That's fine, fdaniele.  That's easy.  I thought you needed chm files.

I have a whole set of text files, that I decompiled from .ng years ago.  That includes super, and many others.

Hang on, I'll zip it up, and put it on Google Drive.

HBQuerier

Dec 5, 2022, 11:52:23 AM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
Here you go, fdaniele.  Over the weekend, I'll search on one of my old XP laptops, see if I can find the NG Decompiler, and use it on the Grump library.

fdaniele

Dec 5, 2022, 11:55:19 AM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
thanks mr.  HBQuerier but
i need the chm files
thanks a lot
Daniele

HBQuerier

Dec 5, 2022, 1:20:18 PM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
Ok.  I guess I'm confused that you mentioned using Notepad++.  I thought you meant you wanted text files.

Alright.  If I figure out a way to convert them to html, then to CHM, I'll post it here.

fdaniele

Dec 5, 2022, 1:59:01 PM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
notepad++ fas a plugin for us,  you can insert a lot of chm files
is very usefull !
thanks again  HBQuerier

Immagine 2022-12-05 195808.png

HBQuerier

Dec 5, 2022, 2:13:10 PM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
I see, ok thanks.

By the way, that NGDD.EXE tool seems to be a full decompiler.  It looks like the one that I purchased, years ago.  It generates each section of a NG file, to a separate file, then separates out individuals by the text "!Short:".  It might be possible to use this, to combine everything into a format which can be compiled into .chm.

Tell me - which is the number one most important .ng file you want in .chm format?  Clipper, Grump, which?  I'll try that one, first.

fdaniele

Dec 5, 2022, 2:15:15 PM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
superlib
thanks!

HBQuerier

Dec 5, 2022, 2:21:38 PM12/5/22
to Harbour Users
Ha!  That's my favorite library, as well.

Good choice.

Alex Strickland

Dec 6, 2022, 2:43:47 AM12/6/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

Merci beaucoup!

Alex Strickland

Dec 6, 2022, 2:45:25 AM12/6/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Bob, the files Daniele sent are everything I need.

--

Regards

Alex

Alex Strickland

Dec 6, 2022, 3:07:55 AM12/6/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

Hi Daniele

Thanks, but my Italian is non-existant (sorry for the French below).

Hi Bob

If you could make those files available in some way I would be very grateful.

--

Regards

Alex

fdaniele

Dec 6, 2022, 3:20:05 AM12/6/22
to Harbour Users
like my english :-)

ciao !

Yakano

Dec 6, 2022, 3:05:54 PM12/6/22
to Harbour Users
Hello fdaniele

Do you use NotePad++ to write Harbour code?

 I am using it more and more for other tasks, because of all the functions it incorporates and the wonderful plugins that cover my needs.

 But I don't start coding with it because I can't find a Markdown for Harbour and its libraries.

 If you have a decent one, could you share it here?

 Best regards

fdaniele

Dec 7, 2022, 9:52:10 AM12/7/22
to Harbour Users
ok mr. Yakano, this is my customize np++

however I want to say that it is nothing special, I have added and sometimes improved the work of others like the HMG
language and functionlist and others, or  inserted some command macros on buttons, which I find useful for developers.
it is in Italian but it is certainly not a problem for you
I hope you like it

Yakano

Dec 8, 2022, 1:50:21 AM12/8/22
to Harbour Users
Hi fdaniele

Since I already have NotePad++ installed, I guess I just need to add your HMG.xml to it. Or maybe I need to take something else from your link?

Best regards

fdaniele

Dec 8, 2022, 5:20:05 AM12/8/22
to Harbour Users
the version is portable, take all and put in a folder  ;-)
best regards

Daniele

Yakano

Dec 8, 2022, 8:45:18 AM12/8/22
to Harbour Users
Grazie mille !!!

HBQuerier

Dec 15, 2022, 8:59:35 AM12/15/22
to Harbour Users
Hi fdaniele,

I decompiled the SUPER.lib files over the weekend, but didn't get a chance yet to try and transform it into a state where it can be imported into a .chm file.

I'm going to try and use the tool Txt2Htm2Chm to accomplish this.

fdaniele

Dec 15, 2022, 9:51:54 AM12/15/22
to Harbour Users
good luck mr.  HBQuerier

(I'm kidding :-)  )

thanks for now
Daniele
Message has been deleted

HBQuerier

Dec 26, 2022, 5:23:06 PM12/26/22
to Harbour Users
While I'm trying to figure out how to get the chm files to reflect the structure of the original .ng files, here is Dave Pearson's Norton Guides to HTML converter:

To make it convert super.ng to a group of html files, use

ng2html super.ng

on the command line.

HBQuerier

Dec 26, 2022, 6:26:07 PM12/26/22
to Harbour Users
Got stop for now, get ready for the work week.  Here is the first draft.  I need to get the section headings named correctly on the left, but all of the SUPER.NG content is here in the SUPER.CHM file.

After we figure out how to mirror the .NG documentation exactly, we'll do it for the other Norton Guides you mentioned.

fdaniele

Dec 27, 2022, 2:19:03 PM12/27/22
to Harbour Users
mr.  HBQuerier ... you are a saint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was looking for the ng2html for a long time and here it is !!!!
Thanks for your interest, a real Christmas present
thanks very very very much for now, I hope one day to reciprocate
happy new year

Daniele

HBQuerier

Dec 29, 2022, 10:22:09 AM12/29/22
to Harbour Users
There are no IOUs here, fdaniele.  We're all happy to help.

fdaniele

Dec 31, 2022, 6:01:36 AM12/31/22
to Harbour Users
thanks mr.  HBQuerier