[OT] remote access / remote control software

Pete

Jan 24, 2023, 11:46:34 AM1/24/23
to Harbour Users
Hello,
recently have discovered RustDesk which, according to their description, is:
"Yet another remote desktop software, written in Rust. Works out of the box,
no configuration required. You have full control of your data,
with no concerns about security. You can use our rendezvous/relay server,
set up your own, or write your own rendezvous/relay server."

It's similar to Teamviewer & Anydesk but unlike them, it is open source!
Does anybody have used or using it?
Any opinions and/or link to reviews welcome and appreciated.

regards,
Pete

fdaniele

Jan 24, 2023, 12:20:23 PM1/24/23
to Harbour Users
there is also
very good

Pete

Jan 24, 2023, 1:20:42 PM1/24/23
to Harbour Users
On Tuesday, 24 January 2023 at 19:20:23 UTC+2 fdaniele wrote:
there is also
very good

Very interesting, indeed...
Thanks for the info!

regards,
Pete

Pierpaolo Martinello

Jan 25, 2023, 1:37:39 AM1/25/23
to Harbour Users

Hi Pete,  hoptodesk is a Rustdesk fork and
Check if the all chr keyboard are good and Rustdesk
Require a good connection.
One good and multios solution can be dwservice.
Best regards
Pierpaolo

Otto Haldi

Jan 25, 2023, 2:57:50 AM1/25/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I also did some tests with the help of http://www.winflector.com.
I didn't do it through the Internet, but only in local mode on my local PC. The results are quite good.
Also, running in a browser seems very good.
Greetings
Otto

Pete

Jan 25, 2023, 9:31:32 AM1/25/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Pierpaolo,
How are you doing? hope well, e! ;-)
Well, yes I know about dwservice (in the past I had a little contribution to them, in translating)
The problem I had the last time I tried to use it, was with installation on clients side,
nevertheless, it's a good alternative!
Useful to know your opinion about rustdesk and hopdesk.
Connection quality is not a problem, my main concern is about security and privacy...
with all this credibility gap out there in the internet, you know, never can be sure for anything/anyone.
The interesting thing with rustdesk, besides being open-source, is the ability to have it self-hosted
on your own server which, at least in theory, sounds quite inviting.

regards,
Pete

Pete

Jan 25, 2023, 9:37:37 AM1/25/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Otto,
I think I had seen winflector in the past, but didn't know you could use it to control a remote desktop.
It might worth a look at it, altought my interest is mainly "open-source oriented".
Thanks for the info!

regards,
Pete

Pete

Jan 25, 2023, 10:24:15 AM1/25/23
to Harbour Users
On Wednesday, 25 January 2023 at 16:31:32 UTC+2 Pete wrote:
Well, yes I know about dwservice
by the way, now that i took a look again, i must say,  they have made quite a few improvements.
good job!

Marek Olszewski "MOL"

Jan 26, 2023, 8:29:10 AM1/26/23
to Harbour Users
Very interesting! I've used anydesk till now, but prices are not satisfying...
Hoptodesk or Rustdesk looks very nice solution.
Does anybody know how to set own server on leased server?

alexwi

Jan 26, 2023, 10:22:39 AM1/26/23
to Harbour Users
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely explore hoptodesk, rustdesk, and dwservice.

I've been using the free version of zoho assist for assisting some users, but I don't need it often enough to warrant a paid subscription. Most of my remote support is done via vnc and those networks are accessible to me via vpn (fortinet, watchguard, or zerotier, which is free).

When I was looking for paid options, the most affordable seemed to be splashtop.

Winflector isn't really a remote-access tool, but rather a tool for application-access (e.g. make a program available via browser), if I'm not mistaken.

Alex

Giuseppe Bogetti

Jan 26, 2023, 10:47:47 AM1/26/23
to Harbour Users
Hi Pete,
another free option with self hosting is https://aspia.org

Regards, Giuseppe

Hansmarc

Jan 26, 2023, 12:19:20 PM1/26/23
to Harbour Users
Hello,

if you want to host it  yourself and full control give a look at meshcentral.com
It is opensource.

Tried it a on my own server and a few pcs a few months ago.
Not bad at all and a lot of video tutoriels.

Regards
Hans

Pete

Jan 27, 2023, 2:21:51 AM1/27/23
to Harbour Users
Hello!
Seems that there have been evolved some good solutions
around the subject we are discussing here, and that's good! ;-)
@Giuseppe!
@Hans!
many thanks to both of you, for the links!
certainly worth to pay a visit at the sites of the  suggested products
to know more about (and I suppose it's not only me interested for it).

Yet, the degree of security and privacy they offer, all of those and similar
products, remains IMHO an important factor to chose between them.

regards,
Pete

Maurício Faria

Jan 27, 2023, 7:45:26 AM1/27/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

If you are looking for an easy, safe and free option I would like to suggest UltraVnc Single Click.
https://uvnc.com/products/uvnc-sc.html
Its firewall and NAT friendly!
And you can use your logo and icon in the app.
The only drawback is that it must be executed by the remote part.
And this is also why its firewall and NAT friendly, its remotely generated, it goes on an outbond connection not an inbond one.
If you need to access the machine without the remote user this is not for you.
But since I use this for customer support, almost all the time the customer is in the other side to start the connection.
You can point it to different support desks and if, for example, the customer is talking to support desk number 85, the support staff instructs the customer to click on the 85 and the connection is directed to the staff station. This needs some one-time work on the internet router on your side :-) ...
Its free and you can distribute with you apps.
I use this for many, many years.

[[]] Mauricio Ventura Faria

Pete

Jan 28, 2023, 7:40:26 AM1/28/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Mauricio,

thanks for your reply, as well as, for the link and description of  UltraVnc.
And also this, along with other products, seems interesting.
As it turned out, there exist more than one good solutions for the purpose we've discussed so far.
Now, can't resist but to paraphrase slightly an old good quote: "and now we have two problems",
that is, besides finding a product for the task, we now have to chose between many good of them.
Not bad, at all! ;-)

regards,
Pete

Appliserver

Jan 30, 2023, 7:57:39 AM1/30/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com

HI,

I use Nomachine. I don't like any remote control software relying on external  servers, so I prefer a direct point-to-point connection.

Nomachine works on Windows, Linux, MacOS. If a PC is behind a router you have to configure Port Forwarding (unless your router is Upnp-aware).

A great product based on the NX protocol (PD). Nomachine is free for use as a client and as a basic server. On Linux you can install Nomachine or the NX protocol only (there is an Open Source package).

Dan

Pete

Feb 2, 2023, 9:22:33 AM2/2/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Dan,

A "direct point-to-point connection" without external server dependence or involvement
is undoubtedly the ideal implementation for the purpose. I had no time to to look deeper into
`  Nomachine ` but I guess it's not an "out of the shelf" ready to  use solution.
I mean, that needs some good effort to set it up and working, although the benefit,
probably worth the "investment". Thanks for sharing your experience.

regards,
Pete