nigtly builds update

Pete

Nov 11, 2022, 10:24:13 AM11/11/22
to Harbour Users
FYI,
The nightly builds in sourceforge have not yet updated with the latest commits.
Last update was on 17-10-2022.

regards,
Pete

Pete

Jan 26, 2023, 4:44:48 AM1/26/23
to Harbour Users
Well, seems that updates of the above nightly builds, at sourceforge, is permanently paused/stopped (?) ;-(
So, in case anyone needs latest MinGW build(s), can download them from Github.
(currently available  32-bit binaries, --64-bit package planned in the near future also--,  any feedback welcome).

regards,
Pete

Francesco Perillo

Jan 26, 2023, 4:52:28 AM1/26/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
I will check this evening

Matteo Baccan

Jan 26, 2023, 5:08:02 AM1/26/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hi

why not create a github action to create a new build for every commit on the repository?

At the moment I have not see any rebuild action

ciao
matteo

Angel Pais

Jan 26, 2023, 7:59:03 AM1/26/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Because the repository is locked out by people not longer interested in harbour anymore.

Matteo Baccan

Jan 26, 2023, 9:02:41 AM1/26/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I don't understand the problem

The original harbour code is maintained?
If is maintained you can create a clone that only rebuilds and release the core with GitHub actions.
It's not important if the original is locked, it's only important if is public

ciao
matteo

Ash

Feb 2, 2023, 6:10:46 AM2/2/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Pete,

Thank you for building the nightly Harbour.

As I need to build some additional libraries, where can I download the comp folder contents from?

Regards,
Ash

Pete

Feb 2, 2023, 8:47:33 AM2/2/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Ash,

I guess that by "comp folder contents", you mean the MinGW distro I've used to build latest Harbour version.

regards,
Pete

Ash

Feb 2, 2023, 9:11:28 AM2/2/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Pete,

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Ash

Ash

May 21, 2023, 9:56:35 PM5/21/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Pete,

Would you please update your Harbour build? I am certain a lot of Harbour users would be grateful.

Regards,
Ash

pete....@gmail.com

May 22, 2023, 2:11:09 AM5/22/23
to Harbour Users
Good morning Ash,

On Monday, 22 May 2023 at 04:56:35 UTC+3 Ash wrote:
Would you please update your Harbour build? I am certain a lot of Harbour users would be grateful.

Yes! I was planning to do it soon. Btw, I was thinking to make some tests with newer MinGW versions
(12.3 and 13.1), (don't know whether this,  per se, could have any _real_ difference/benefit for the generated
harbour binaries, regarding efficiency, speed or whatever; any opinion on that matter, welcome).
Anyway, I'll message here, when it'll be ready.

regards,
Pete

gfil...@gmail.com

May 22, 2023, 6:34:51 AM5/22/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Pete,

> any opinion on that matter, welcome
In the attached file you will find Harbor speed tests for some 64-bit C compilers for my home environment.

Hope that useful.

Regards,
Grigory

понедельник, 22 мая 2023 г. в 08:11:09 UTC+2, pete....@gmail.com:
hbspeed.txt

pete....@gmail.com

May 23, 2023, 1:57:02 AM5/23/23
to Harbour Users
Good morning Grigory,

Thanks for the tests!
Well, it seems MinGW is the "winner" over VC++ and Embarcadero C++,
and that's interesting. Don't remember when and where (probably at stackoverflow)
I had seen a thread where some developers were claiming that Visual C++
was/is faster than MinGW but maybe the argument was about speed of compilation
rather than runtime speed of compiled code.
Anyway, since harbour's preferred (and officially supported) compiler, at least for windows platform,
is MinGW it'd be useful, for anybody here who we makes use of it,  to know how the various versions
of MinGW compiler alone, affects the generation of harbour's binaries and consequently
the compiled applications. If I'm not mistaken, you maintain mingw builds for minigui ;-)
so if your time permits, would be nice to do also some tests with different MinGW versions.

regards,
Pete

pete....@gmail.com

May 24, 2023, 9:02:27 AM5/24/23
to Harbour Users
On Monday, 22 May 2023 at 04:56:35 UTC+3 Ash wrote:
Would you please update your Harbour build? I am certain a lot of Harbour users would be grateful.

Grigory Filatov

May 24, 2023, 10:08:09 AM5/24/23
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pete,

I sent the Harbour speed report for your Harbour package in my environment.

The result is worse than my Harbour package for the same MinGW C 13.1 (your 32-bit vs my 64-bit).

HTH,
Grigory

ср, 24 мая 2023 г. в 15:02, pete....@gmail.com <pete....@gmail.com>:
hbspeed.txt

pete....@gmail.com

May 24, 2023, 1:03:38 PM5/24/23
to Harbour Users
Hello Grigory,

On Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 17:08:09 UTC+3 gfil...@gmail.com wrote:
I sent the Harbour speed report for your Harbour package in my environment.
The result is worse than my Harbour package for the same MinGW C 13.1 (your 32-bit vs my 64-bit).

Well, although the "worse" score for 32-bit is a predictable result, I think also it's quite reasonable.
If we take into account the double sized bitness and the additional computing power it brings
to the 64-bits architecture, I'd say that the score of 32-bit version is better than expected!
The average difference of ~15% lower speed for 32bits,  is not bad and probably explains
why 32bits architecture is still here "alive and (more or less) well", several years after the 64bits
have entered the computing arena.

Thank you very much, for your effort in doing the tests!

regards,
Pete