Re: [harbour] Digest for harbour-devel@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics

matt johnson

Jan 22, 2024, 8:20:44 PMJan 22
to Digest recipients
Maybe DNS ( Domain Name Server ) error, it is waiting for timeout, then going to secondary DNS server?

On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 06:48:07 PM CST, harbou...@googlegroups.com <harbou...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Lorenzo Fiorini <lorenzo...@gmail.com>: Jan 22 07:12PM +0100

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade an installation that is using a Linux server with
Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS 32bit since years as a NETIO_MTSERVER with a newer
hardware with a Debian 12 64bit but the new setup is much slower than
the old one (5-6 times slower).

It's not a hardware or a network problem since I get the same bad result in
my office even with a much more powerful hardware.

I've tried to change several sysctl parameters and I've also tried to use
the very same NETIO_MTSERVER 32bit code that I use in old Ubuntu without
success.
As a comparison I've tried to install Samba and set a simple share and it
seems quite fast, surely faster than the old setup and much much faster
than the new setup.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Lorenzo
Gerald Drouillard <ger...@drouillard.ca>: Jan 22 01:18PM -0500

Tell us more about what the netio server is slow at. example: dbf access?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 1:12 PM Lorenzo Fiorini <lorenzo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Lorenzo Fiorini <lorenzo...@gmail.com>: Jan 22 09:10PM +0100

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 7:18 PM Gerald Drouillard <ger...@drouillard.ca>
wrote:

> Tell us more about what the netio server is slow at. example: dbf access?

It is a very simple Harbour app, that I have used almost untouched for
years, that "serve" a folder of dbf/cdx files via a TCP port using pretty
standard NETIO_MTSERVER() code. Windows clients connect to it using
NETIO_CONNECT() (see contrib/hbnetio).
This client/server setup has been working flawlessly for years. What I
wanted was simply faster data access.

Gerald Drouillard <ger...@drouillard.ca>: Jan 22 03:57PM -0500

Did the file system change? Disk r/w rates?
Test network I/O against the new server?
Memory, cpu usage?
caching policy
Look in the kernel, system logs?
What is slow? locking? opening? seeks? Does the size of the file
matter?
Are the dbf's also available via samba? Maybe you have a windows machine
virus scanning the file(s) on access?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 3:10 PM Lorenzo Fiorini <lorenzo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Phil Krylov <phil....@gmail.com>: Jan 22 02:49PM +0100

Hi Luigi,

> ../../../hbpp.c: In function 'hb_pp_generateVerInfo':
> ../../../hbpp.c:353:22: warning: format '%u' expects argument of type 'unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'HB_MAXINT' {aka 'long long int'} [-Wformat=]
> 353 | fprintf( fout, "#define HB_VER_REVID %" PFHL "ulu\n", nRevID );

Thanks! To be able to reproduce the issue, one would need to know if
you're building from the latest Harbour source (assumed yes) and what
version of MinGW-W64 runtime (not just the gcc compiler but the
headers) is used. Also, the actual failing gcc command llne would be
helpful. On the GitHub CI, with rolling-release MSYS2, the warning
does not reproduce.

This is a change probably related to your issue:
https://github.com/harbour/core/pull/333/files

-- Ph.