Should I commit AWS access SDK as contrib/hbaws ?

Pritpal Bedi

Oct 17, 2022, 3:42:58 PM10/17/22
to Harbour Developers
Hi All

As I had announced a couple of years back that I want to commit this library in Harbour contrib repository and most of you objected to the idea, I am asking again.

It is a pure PRG code and depends on hbssl and hbtip. This implementation does not contain all the classes AWS mainstream SDK's are heaving. I worked on the following AWS services but with limited methods:

SES - Simple Email Service
SNS - Simple Notofication Service ( special emphasis on SMS relay methods )
SQS - Simple Queue Service
S3   -  Simple Storage Service
EFS - Elastic File System
STS - Security Token Service
EC2 - Elastic Compute Cloud
DynamoDB - A open-ended database servoce
Textract - Text Processing Service
Rekognition - Image Processing Services

Since the building blocks to access AWS services are there it will far easier to implement classes as and when you need them.

Looking for positive response this time.

Pritpal Bedi
a student of software analysis & concepts

Bacco

Oct 17, 2022, 5:44:01 PM10/17/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
I really think this would be useful in a separate repo.

I think we have a fair share of not so up-to-date contribs (not saying it's your
case, it's just that even mantained, it willan extra burden to get and sync for all
Hb users that have no interest in AWS services, and it would represent an extra
focus of other devs, even if you mantain it yourself - perhaps one day you focus
on another thing and no other mantainers want to keep up the job).

I believe mantaining in a separate repo also will benefit from a fast development
pace for interested users, and will suffer less restrictions. Also, if it's pure PRG,
a separate repo will allow for easier usage without the need to use the main
repo build system. Users can mix and match their specific needs easily.

It worked better with HBQt, it seems same case here.

It's just my opinion, I'm by no means any authority here.

Best regards and thanks for your continued efforts
Bacco

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar

Oct 17, 2022, 5:52:21 PM10/17/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pritpal,

I work with AWS SDKs/CLI on a daily basis... implementing the basis of the extensive API is a huge piece of work, especially considering the APIs and SDKs are in constant updates.

I would say a wrapper into the AWS SDK for C++[1] would be something way simple to maintain and keep up? It has the added benefit that you don't have to solve the problems that have already been solved. SDK License is Apache 2.0.

Bests

Francesco Perillo

Oct 18, 2022, 4:55:26 AM10/18/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pritpal,
I think that we should move to a npm/nuget/cargo style for contribs/addons. Just keep a minimum amount in the main package and then all the others should move to separate repositories.

My 2 cents, of course.

Francesco

Lorenzo Fiorini

Oct 18, 2022, 5:38:26 AM10/18/22
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
On 18/10/2022 10:55, Francesco Perillo wrote:

> Hi Pritpal,
> I think that we should move to a npm/nuget/cargo style for
> contribs/addons. Just keep a minimum amount in the main package and
> then all the others should move to separate repositories.

That would be great.

Other "less ideal" solutions I see are:

1 - at this point one more contrib would not harm much and since AWS
support could be useful to the project we should be grateful to Pritpal
and ask him to upload it to the actual contrib folder.

2 - create an harbour/contrib repo and move there ALL the contribs. This
solution would not help a lot since probably there are 0 developers that
can use Harbour without at least one contrib but at least it'll make the
core repo REALLY CORE.

3 - move each contrib to a separate repo inside https://github.com/harbour.

Options 2 and 3 would probably make the setup more complicate since it
would require several separate downloads and probably changes to the
actual build scripts but if there are volunteers for the tasks they
could be not so hard.

Regards,
Lorenzo

Lailton Fernando Mariano

Oct 24, 2022, 1:33:41 PM10/24/22
to Harbour Developers
It is a really nice idea.
from harbour/core you can have a sub module getting the contrib. this way all will be like this but in a repo separated and leave it like really CORE.

+1