Rough Day

Carol Baylor

Jul 7, 2010, 5:36:32 PM7/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Today has been hard for me on the food front. I have had less than half of what I'm supposed to have had. Part of it was my complete lack of interest in food.

It sounds crazy I'm sure, but I have a really hard time getting fats in. I get half at best and I'm rushing until I go to bed to get all of my calories.

But, instead of crying about it or giving up, I have a question for those of you following the program: what do you use as fats? I've tried to get more nuts in but I'm not that big of a fan of them. I have earth balance and tofutti cream cheese. I use fats sparingly so I'm somewhere deep down I've got some kind of cognitive dissonance going on.

I'll even take suggestions for proteins and carbs as well since I've been struggling to eat everything I'm supposed to.

As a sidenote, I only exercised for a 400 calorie burn since I was afraid I'd hit a little low and don't want to be unhealthy.

Carol

"No matter what, I want to continue living with the awareness that I will die.
Without that, I am not alive. That is what makes the life I have now possible."
- Banana Yoshimoto (from Kitchen)

Courtney Hardy

Jul 7, 2010, 8:20:40 PM7/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I have a hard time getting my fats in too. I've found it's easier for me to use the sesame or flax seeds to help. It's easy to add them to a salad or stirfry or mac & cheese. Yes, I did this last one the other night when I needed to add some fat & I was surprised. It wasn't the most visually appealling meal, but it was good. I don't really notice a difference in taste, just appearance.
My biggest problem is getting enough protein. The tempeh helps, but I'm still always shy of my goal.

Katie Morris

Jul 7, 2010, 8:32:44 PM7/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I have a hard time getting in my servings as well, though I am usually just 1 down in eat category.  I've been a yo-yo dieter for a long time now. I seemed to have the most success with weight watchers in the past, and one thing I had to really work at was eating enough points in the morning and afternoon.  Most of the time, I found myself saving all of my points for the end of the day, with a sort of "just in case I need them" mentality.  It's a definite change in thought process, but if you can focus on eating bigger meals and more servings during the day, it might help you to not feel you have to cram stuff in at the end.

As for fats, I've recently found chia seeds, which are really good. Also, 1 tsp of olive oil is good for stir-frying veggies.

Happy Herbivore

Jul 8, 2010, 8:04:18 AM7/8/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Remember, you cal always reduce fats to 10% -- or 1 serving, and increase carbs. 1 serving can be as little as a few nuts or seeds on a salad, or a tbsp or two of flax meal in a smoothie.

A lot of wholesome crackers have sesame seeds in them; and then there are things like hummus that have fat --- tahini. Also don't forget summer avocados!

My profiles: FacebookFlickrTwitterBlog RSSDelicious
Signature powered by WiseStamp

Carol Baylor

Jul 8, 2010, 2:58:45 PM7/8/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointers everyone! I added an extra tablespoon of olive oil to my soup and that helped. I'm planning on making a noodle soup today too which I can up fat for too.

I think part of the time I get so overwhelmed and still lack adequate planning for some of the servings that I don't always get creative. I'm definitely planning on making some kind of Mac n Cheese so I'll have to try some flax meal in that.

I love hummus but I haven't been as voracious about it as I should have been but some of that is adjustment.

Each day is getting better and With perseverance I'll get the hang of it.

I'm glad that there are others doing this program with me. :)