Share your fave smoothie recipes!

Happy Herbivore

Apr 13, 2010, 2:02:55 PM4/13/10
to HappyHerbivore
Smoothies are a great way to get in all your daily servings of fruits
or vegetables... and they're a quick and easy way to incorporate whole
foods into your diet.

This recipe was given to me by @chrispoupart & it's one of my
favorites:

Eat for Health Smoothie (serves 2)
2c frozen blueberries
1 banana
2-3 dates
2T ground flax
2T cocoa powder
1c "milk"
8oz baby spinach

Happy Herbivore

Apr 13, 2010, 7:01:37 PM4/13/10
to HappyHerbivore
From SeeSarahEat:

I've been enjoying this one lately, I've seen it on Kristin's Raw,
Healthy Tipping Point and Greens for Good with some variations. This
is the way I usually make it:

"Chocolate Cherry Bomb" smoothie
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen cherries
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 cups spinach

Natala

Apr 13, 2010, 8:43:56 PM4/13/10
to HappyHerbivore
Mine is pretty simple, but I love it :)
Kale (like a handful or 2)
frozen cherries
raw cacao
raw cacao nibs
water
1 tbs of date sugar (or just chopped dates)

It's pretty much like the chocolate cherry bomb :)

Sara

Apr 30, 2010, 11:12:35 PM4/30/10
to HappyHerbivore
Green (well kind of grey) smoothie

Based on (Brendan Brazier's) Thrive smoothies:

I use hemp milk a lot to make smoothies creamier: just combine 1 pt
hemp seeds with 3 pts water in a blender!

1 small handful spinach, washed
1 cup hemp milk
1 cup water
Large handful fresh Blackberries (as many as you want)
And/or frozen or fresh blueberries
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tbsp hemp protein

Sara

Apr 30, 2010, 11:12:50 PM4/30/10
to HappyHerbivore

Happy Herbivore

May 2, 2010, 10:02:46 AM5/2/10
to HappyHerbivore
This neapolitan smoothie just changed my life:

2 small frozen bananas
1 cup fresh strawberries (5-6)
1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa

I also like this peanutbutter cup smoothie:

2 small froxen bananas
1 tbsp peanutbutter (optional) or raw nut butter
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4-1/2 cup non-dairy milk

Jessica Creech

May 2, 2010, 10:26:08 AM5/2/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
That peanut butter one sounds DIVINE. I bought raw almond butter - - I'll try that tomorrow!!

I did a Cherry Bomb smoothie a la healthytippingpoint.com

Half a banana
A bunch of frozen cherries
1 tbsp flax meal
1 tbsp cocoa
2 cups spinach
1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Cocoa makes everything divine <3

--
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being." - - Mahatma Gandhi

miss...@gmail.com

May 2, 2010, 10:28:26 AM5/2/10
to 30 day challenge
Why don't ya'll just throw peanuts, cashews, almonds etc in your vitamix (or magic bullet, ninja whatever) and make the nut butters yourself? Its super easy and much more cost effective!

From: Jessica Creech <jessica...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 10:26:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Share your fave smoothie recipes!

Jessica Creech

May 2, 2010, 10:32:37 AM5/2/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
My bf just bought me a blender yesterday and I had already bought the almond butter last week. But when I run out, I will definitely make my own :)

stephy...@gmail.com

May 2, 2010, 10:33:53 AM5/2/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Which blender did he get?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: Jessica Creech <jessica...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 10:32:37 -0400

miss...@gmail.com

May 2, 2010, 10:33:57 AM5/2/10
to 30 day challenge
I justified mine when I found almond butter for 10.99 a jar at my grocery store!

From: Jessica Creech <jessica...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 10:32:37 -0400

stephy...@gmail.com

May 2, 2010, 10:35:20 AM5/2/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Ours is about 5.99 a jar..still expensive!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 14:33:57 +0000
To: 30 day challenge<happyhe...@googlegroups.com>

Jessica Creech

May 2, 2010, 10:36:53 AM5/2/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
He got me this - -

Made specifically for blending and going (you can blend in the same cup you drink it in). There's also a coffee grinder. But, Missah, do you think it can handle crushing nuts? It did okay with my frozen cherries. There aren't any speeds on it, just blend and pulse. And it stops automatically when it's done blending.

Plus, it's orange. :D

miss...@gmail.com

May 2, 2010, 11:10:49 AM5/2/10
to 30 day challenge
I think it could handle softer nuts like cashews easily. Almonds are pretty hard...

From: Jessica Creech <jessica...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 10:36:53 -0400

Melissa Hammons

May 2, 2010, 11:18:26 AM5/2/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Now that I finally looked at the link...it has a grinder attachment?  You should have no problem making nut butters.  One of the reviews says it has no problem grinding nuts!

Haley Pierson-Cox

May 2, 2010, 12:17:58 PM5/2/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
This peanut butter cup smoothie just made my morning! If I keep this up, I'm going to need a lot more bananas. :)

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Happy Herbivore <happyhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
The Zen of Making
http://thezenofmaking.blogspot.com

Happy Herbivore

May 11, 2010, 7:01:42 AM5/11/10
to HappyHerbivore
pumpkin pie smoothie -- recipe going up on HH today

1 frozen banana
1/4-1/3 cup pure pumpkin
1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp maple syrup
1/8 tsp ginger - optional
1/4 cup non-dairy milk, or more as necessary.