Snacks / small meals

Helena

May 3, 2010, 4:20:56 PM5/3/10
to HappyHerbivore
Anyone have ideas for snacks or small meals to have on hand? I'm
realizing how important this. I only have berries, carrots and grapes
right now and I definitely need something else but I'm drawing blanks.

miss...@gmail.com

May 3, 2010, 4:22:58 PM5/3/10
to 30 day challenge
Veggie roll ups? Sliced veggies rolled up in romaine or spinach.

Cut up fruit and veggies. Quinoa parfaits. Homemade fruit leather

Katie Morris

May 3, 2010, 4:24:46 PM5/3/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Raw almonds and cashews are on my desk right now ;). Also I was thinking of baking some chickpeas with cayenne pepper. Thought that might be a "chip like" snack.

What about air popped popcorn? Does that fit the challenge?

Winnie McCarthy

May 3, 2010, 4:28:22 PM5/3/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
My go to snack the last three days has been clementines.  I had never even eaten one before, but I got a bag of them on Saturday and really like them.

How do you make your own fruit leather?

miss...@gmail.com

May 3, 2010, 4:37:32 PM5/3/10
to 30 day challenge
Chop, peal, deseed the fruit u want to use. Put in a pan on stove and add 1 cup of water to every 4 cups fruit. boil about 15 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or let it cool and use a blender, food processor etc. Add back to pot and add spices (think cinnamon apple, cloves, nutmeg and pears) and reduce down until it coats the back of a spoon nicely.
Poor into a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and cook at 140 degrees 10-12 hours (this is great to do overnight). Makes your house smell amazing too!

From: Winnie McCarthy <winni...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:28:22 -0500
Subject: Re: Snacks / small meals

Happy Herbivore

May 3, 2010, 4:41:37 PM5/3/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I've been snacking on roasted chickpeas in addition to fruit & veggies. Raw nuts and homemade trail mix is always good, too. I'm also going to try to make kale chips & sweet potato fries

Danielle Jo Bays

May 3, 2010, 7:42:11 PM5/3/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com

I have been snacking on air-popped popcorn. Today I put popsicles with blended fruit juice and banana in the freezer.

Raw almonds and cashews are on my desk right now ;). Also I was thinking of baking some chickpeas with cayenne pepper. Thought that might be a "chip like" snack.

Helena

May 3, 2010, 8:58:41 PM5/3/10
to HappyHerbivore
I did have some raw nuts that I forgot about so I snacked on those. I
love all the ideas, thanks everyone!

On May 3, 4:42 pm, "Danielle Jo Bays" <djb...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I have been snacking on air-popped popcorn. Today I put popsicles with
> blended fruit juice and banana in the freezer.
>
> Danielle Jo Bays
>
> http://www.facebook.com/djbays
>
> http://twitter.com/djbays
>
>  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/djbays>http://www.linkedin.com/in/djbays
>
>   _____

Natala Constantine

May 3, 2010, 5:06:39 PM5/3/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I also do roasted chickpeas! :) I also have tangerines around .

I've had a really bad sinus infection which has caused some pretty bad nerve pain in my mouth - it's really weird. Anyway, it's meant that eating is not as easy, so I've been doing tons of smoothies. My favorite is:

Frozen banana
2-3 handfuls of Kale
dark cherries
a little bit of raw cocoa powder

it's like drinking a milkshake!

indiacarless

May 4, 2010, 5:29:38 PM5/4/10
to HappyHerbivore
I sometimes eat strawberries before bed but strangely, they stimulate
my appetite???

The other night I ate a few raw cashews I had in the fridge, that
seemed to do the trick.

KellyMonster

May 7, 2010, 6:01:18 AM5/7/10
to HappyHerbivore
I've been eating a lot of nuts as snacks and I'm concerned that this
is actually going to be detrimental to the challenge due to the fat
content.

I'm eating raw cashews and soaked almonds mainly, about 50g of each
per day. Do you guys think it's too much?! I also have 400g of brazil
nuts which I haven't opened yet because I don't think I'll be able to
stop myself from eating them!

Also, satsumas and bananas are a staple snack for me anyway so they're
also in my diet, and delicious little cherry tomatoes too so it's not
all fatty.
> > right now and I definitely need something else but I'm drawing blanks.- Hide quoted text -

Katie Morris

May 7, 2010, 7:22:35 AM5/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I really have no idea how many nuts you're eating (I measure mine in cups, not grams) but my personal thoughts are that you need the fat in these nuts while on the challenge.  The body needs healthy fats to function.  Don't get me wrong, this is a major shift in thinking, as many of us were taught that eating fat is bad.  During the course of the last 6 months, I have also been working towards significant weightloss, and this week is no exception. I was still down on the scale with my excess nuts and avocados.

All that to say, I think it's great you're eating more nuts on the challenge. You're body is probably craving the extra nutrients.

Happy Herbivore

May 7, 2010, 7:47:53 AM5/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been eating nuts, seeds or any other additional fats (except for some guacamole on day 1) but they are not part of my diet usually anyway. I was having issues with hunger and saitey until I started including cooked grains to lunch and dinner -- once I did that I was fine. As for eating nuts, I've always heard (from my raw friends anyway) that you should have about a small handful a day.

I used this calculator: http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/dailyfat-3432-143.html (and as a warning I generally find RDA's to be inadequate) but for me, it said I should get 20% of my calories from fat; or 30-40g of fat per day.

I've been following a less restrictive Eat to Live/McDougall Program for nearly 3 years -- and those programs are almost identical to what we've been doing here on the challenge (i.e. vegan/no processed foods) and neither program permits added fats like nuts; so I don't think you truly  "need" the extra fat "to function" necessarily, but everyone has to do what's right for them... their needs, personal taste preferences, activity level, etc.

KellyMonster

May 21, 2010, 9:59:20 AM5/21/10
to HappyHerbivore
Take out the oil in this houmous recipe and it would be perfect for
HH30! I've successfully used a little water in place of oil in all of
my houmous recipes so I can't see why this would be any different:

Carrot Houmous
http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/recipe.php?recipeid=840&catid=5