Expensive Blender for juicing

indiacarless

May 4, 2010, 5:34:41 PM5/4/10
to HappyHerbivore
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive blender that will juice? I have a
4 cup cuisinart and a bella (cup like blender) but neither of those
will juice.

I used to have a $99 juicer but ended up giving it to Good Will
because it was so messy - it's the one sold by jack lalanne.

thanks.

Happy Herbivore

May 4, 2010, 5:36:19 PM5/4/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Blenders don't juice, they pulverize... if you want a "juice" a true juice, you need a juicer. Even my Vita-Mix doesn't "juice"

miss...@gmail.com

May 4, 2010, 5:50:04 PM5/4/10
to 30 day challenge
Imo I just don't get juicing. I would rather eat the fruits/veggies and get the fiber along with everything else. But then again I have Celiac disease and have to use every source I can for fiber ;)

From: Happy Herbivore <happyhe...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 17:36:19 -0400
Subject: Re: Expensive Blender for juicing

Jamie Primo D'Albenzio

May 4, 2010, 6:11:10 PM5/4/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I've researched juicers and blenders. For awhile i was all set to get a really good juicer, but i finally came to the realization, what's the point? It's another huge appliance to find a home for, and quite expensive. Plus like others have said you lose vital nutrients in the process. Instead, i'm waiting until my cheapo blender dies and i'm (finally) getting a VitaMix!

indiacarless

May 4, 2010, 7:38:43 PM5/4/10
to HappyHerbivore
Yes, I want to get a VitaMix one day also....

On May 4, 5:11 pm, "Jamie Primo D'Albenzio" <jamiepr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've researched juicers and blenders. For awhile i was all set to get a
> really good juicer, but i finally came to the realization, what's the point?
> It's another huge appliance to find a home for, and quite expensive. Plus
> like others have said you lose vital nutrients in the process. Instead, i'm
> waiting until my cheapo blender dies and i'm (finally) getting a VitaMix!
>

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM, <missa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Imo I just don't get juicing. I would rather eat the fruits/veggies and get
> > the fiber along with everything else. But then again I have Celiac disease
> > and have to use every source I can for fiber ;)

> > ------------------------------
> > *From: * Happy Herbivore <happyherbiv...@gmail.com>
> > *Date: *Tue, 4 May 2010 17:36:19 -0400
> > *To: *<happyhe...@googlegroups.com>
> > *Subject: *Re: Expensive Blender for juicing
>
> > Blenders don't juice, they pulverize... if you want a "juice" a true juice,
> > you need a juicer. Even my Vita-Mix doesn't "juice"- Hide quoted text -

indiacarless

May 4, 2010, 7:40:09 PM5/4/10
to HappyHerbivore
What's the difference between juicing & pulverizing? Any nutriet
loss? I guess with pulverizing you'd get the fiber...

Happy Herbivore

May 4, 2010, 7:40:24 PM5/4/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
not to be the party pooper but i really dont like my vita-mix; do not feel its worth the money or esteem.

miss...@gmail.com

May 4, 2010, 7:44:44 PM5/4/10
to 30 day challenge
Pulverizing you get to keep the pulp in whatever you are making. Jucing you just get the juice and your left with the pulp in a seperate container.
Take apples for example. They are sugar and water (go with me on this...I know theres nutrients too). When you juice it you get the sugar and leave the fiber behind thus making it a high calorie drink. Vs whole (raw) apple juice that has the chunks in it so your still getting the whole nutritional picture!

May 4, 2010, 7:49:48 PM5/4/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
IMHO Juice from a juicer is actually like a juice -- blending/pulverizing is more like a thick smoothie... it's not the same; even when you dilute it with water to make it more liquidy... the amazing green juice my juicer makes doesn't compare to the green goop my v-m makes... even when i dilute the goop with water its just not the same. i couldnt imagine not having my green juice.... would pick my juicer over the v-m any day.

Sacramento Vegan

May 4, 2010, 8:02:13 PM5/4/10
to HappyHerbivore
I LOVE my vitamix - I use it almost daily. I also just got a juicer
because you really can't compare blending and juicing. I always
thought juicing was pointless because you loose the fiber but then I
read this post from choosing raw http://www.choosingraw.com/question-of-the-week-to-blend-or-to-juice/

I made awesome green juice last night and I can't wait to go home and
make more!

miss...@gmail.com

May 4, 2010, 8:15:39 PM5/4/10
to 30 day challenge
That's a good article. Here's my iffyness (totally not a word) on juicing;
The author mentions one of her smoothies uses 8 large carrots. If ONE carrot gives is approx 75 percent of vitamin a (uncooked) so why in the world would you need to drink 8 times that amount (just considering the carrots)? It seems like a waste of groceries to me. Not like your body will hold onto the excess for the days you don't get enough vitamins etc.

May 4, 2010, 9:27:06 PM5/4/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Ahh Gena is a good friend of mine here in nyc! she is one smart gal.

Katie Morris

May 4, 2010, 9:45:25 PM5/4/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I love Gena's blog, and actually it is the reason I found happy herbivore!

Helena

May 4, 2010, 11:46:14 PM5/4/10
to HappyHerbivore
I LOVE my vita-mix and use it daily. It does the work of 10 appliances
in my opinion. And I actually prefer my juices to be more like
smoothies so it's great for me. You can buy a refurbished vita-mix for
quite a bit less money. It still comes with a warranty, cookbook and
all the extra stuff. I did a few video blogs with it today, I hope to
post them tomorrow.

Tony Rykers

Feb 10, 2014, 8:34:02 PM2/10/14
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
No matter what you use you are still ingesting a considerable amount of natural sugars, which in turn will be stored in the body as fat.  Which is to say that if a person is trying to lose weight by getting involved in juicing, they are fighting an uphill battle by eating fruits, period. (Except for grapefruit, which is great for losing weight)

Tony Rykers

Feb 10, 2014, 8:37:20 PM2/10/14
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
You could look into the Breville line of juicers. They have some that do a wonderful job and don't break your piggy bank. I'm not sure how they compare to Mr Lalane's machine, but I do know that on average the reviews are favourable.