Trying to flash happy bubble firmware on nodemcu

Jeroen de Vries

Mar 1, 2018, 3:21:46 PM3/1/18
to Happy Bubbles
I'm trying to build a happy bubble myself with hardware from the BOM list.

I'm able to flash a nodemcu board with your firmware, unfortunatly there is no accespoint to connect to? What am I doing wrong?

What i did was:
***

Connect the Happy Bubbles device over USB to a computer and find which port it's connected to, like COM3

Get nodemcu-flasher and download the Happy Bubbles release, untar it.

In the config section, assign

  • "boot_v1.5.bin" to offset 0x00000
  • "blank.bin" to offset 0x3FE000
  • "user1.bin" to 0x01000

Then while holding the 'flash' button on the board, press the 'reset' button too; then let go of both buttons.

Click the 'Flash' button on nodemcu-flasher.

***

Jeroen de Vries

Mar 1, 2018, 4:45:13 PM3/1/18
to Happy Bubbles
I try to get the board in config mode but no luck. Find attached the board so far.

Op donderdag 1 maart 2018 21:21:46 UTC+1 schreef Jeroen de Vries:
IMG_20180301_223911.jpg
IMG_20180301_223917.jpg

nemik

Mar 1, 2018, 5:35:04 PM3/1/18
to Happy Bubbles
Sorry I'm not really sure. I haven't tried it without a BLE module attached with the firmware loaded on there too.

I'd suggest connecting the USB to your computer and opening a serial console with 115200 baud on that port, and then look at the output the board is giving. It will tell you it's looking for button press and when it gets it.

Cool board by the way :)

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 3:45:13 PM UTC-6, Jeroen de Vries wrote:sh

Jeroen de Vries

Mar 2, 2018, 5:16:51 AM3/2/18
to Happy Bubbles
I connected the nodemcu and looked @ the serial output with ESPlorer. Output isn't readable. Can you telle me step by step how you flash your nodemcu's? With what settings?

Thanks

Op donderdag 1 maart 2018 23:35:04 UTC+1 schreef nemik:
IMG_20180302_110857.jpg

nemik

Mar 2, 2018, 9:12:17 AM3/2/18
to Happy Bubbles
The baud rate I use is 115200, not 9600. Try that.

I flash the BLE modules and NodeMCU on Linux. I wrote a script to do it and it's in the github repo: https://github.com/happy-bubbles/presence-firmware/blob/master/flash_board

If you really want to test just the firmware try a plain NodeMCU not connected to a PCB, since you don't have a BLE module on there anyway.