ANN: Happstack Crash Course Revamped!

Jeremy Shaw

Oct 15, 2013, 6:32:35 PM10/15/13
to HAppS
Hello,

At long last I have completed a revamp of the Happstack Crash Course.
The old build system used a horrible mess of Makefiles, sed, HsColour,
markdown, html, and more. And didn't work all that well.

I've also renamed it to "The Happstack Book" -- because it is nearly
200 pages if printed on standard 8.5"x11" paper. (Probably similar for
A4).

The new version now uses shake and pandoc (and a little sed).

You will see two immediate benefits.

I have now updated all the examples to build against the latest
Happstack ecosystem. With all the changes from String -> Text, and
other improvements, the book was falling behind. Everything is now up
to date again.

The other benefit is more formats!

In addition to the standard HTML version, the book is now available in
PDF, Mobi/Kindle, ePUB/NOOK.

The ebook formats have not been heavily reviewed for formatting issues.

Please let me know if have any problems. Please report any formatting
or content issues to me so I can fix them!

http://happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/index.html

http://happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/happstack-book.pdf

http://happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/happstack-book.epub

http://happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/happstack-book.mobi

I also have the ability to target School of Haskell -- which could be
neat -- but I am not so sure about their ToS / licensing agreement.

- jeremy

David Fox

Oct 16, 2013, 11:49:12 AM10/16/13
to ha...@googlegroups.com
This is terrific work!

- jeremy

cdep.i...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2013, 6:14:48 AM10/26/13
to ha...@googlegroups.com

There is a broken link to the source code for the shakespear-i18n example.  The link is right above the "Conclusion" section.

Right now the link is pointing to http://www.happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/src/TemplatesHSP.hs but I think it should be pointing to http://www.happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/src/Templates/HSX/I18n.hs

Thanks for the updated crash course!

- Dennis

Jeremy Shaw

Oct 26, 2013, 12:13:38 PM10/26/13
to HAppS
Fixed. Thanks for the bug report!

- jeremy

Utkarsh Lath

Jul 17, 2015, 2:55:07 AM7/17/15
to ha...@googlegroups.com
The link ( http://happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/index.html) to your book doesn't work
anymore.
I have tried to find it everywhere on internet, but it seems everyone points to
the one source which is not available.
Could you please make it available online again ?

Jeremy Shaw

Jul 18, 2015, 11:48:40 AM7/18/15
to HAppS
Sorry about that. The site moved to a new server and some content was not moved. It should be available now.

Thanks for the report!
- jeremy

Andrew Jones

Nov 25, 2015, 2:17:51 PM11/25/15
to HAppS
Thanks for this. I noticed that your example for a Conf though is missing ThreadGroup. When I tried to compile with your ThreadGroup it gave an error so I added it with Nothing as the vallue.