Beyond Instinct and Intellect... Intuition

Think_n_See

May 4, 2006, 1:12:42 AM5/4/06
to Happiness Group
I liked this short article:

"Beyond instinct and intellect
PARAMAHAMSA SRI NITHYANANDA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ THURSDAY, MAY 04, 2006 12:00:07 AM]

Animals eat, sleep, hunt and mate with no thoughts. Instinct is their
nature. Instinct keeps them happy. Human beings work at a different
plane altogether.

The human mind works at three levels: instinct, intellect and
intuition. When you work through instinct, your mind decides
subconsciously or unconsciously, as in the case of an animal.

However, this is the nature of a human being and it makes you unhappy.
This instinctive response from the unconscious is very much faster than
the conscious mind response, and can be very useful when we are in
dangerous situations.

Most other times, these responses are negative and based on embedded
memories that drive us into irrational decisions. We respond as
animals. Most such responses result in actions that leave us drained.

>From the days of Descartes, we believe in working through our
intellects. But when we work through the intellect, we work at a
conscious level but not energetically, not enthusiastically; we work
mechanically; like a programmed robot, a computer.

When you work at the third level, at the level of intuition, however,
you suddenly know what is right though you may not know how; more
importantly you feel energised. You are presented with many choices,
and suddenly one pops up. Intuition gives you the power to decide and
the energy to implement.

Be very clear, if you feel guilty about a decision that you have just
made you have operated out of instinct; if you are confused about that
decision, you have operated at intellect level.

Intuition alone will help you to be clear and also provide you the
energy to go ahead. The benchmark of intuition is happiness,
satisfaction inside as well as outside.

How to awaken this intuition? All you need to do is to give your
conscious mind a rest. You may ask, how. There is a state of mind in
which we are self-aware but exist without thoughts.

Western science or psychology has no term for this. This is what Hindu
sages called the turiya or samadhi state, which is one of deep
meditation. You live here intuitively.

Whenever you find time, give appointment to yourself; some part of your
being wants to express itself more. Give yourself 30 minutes everyday
to meditate. It takes only two or three days of meditation to tune you
into this higher energy of intuition and creativity."

From: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1514884.cms

da5zeay

May 8, 2006, 2:09:20 AM5/8/06
to Happiness Group
I have been trying the meditation thing lately. I also recently changed
one of my mantras from "FOCUS" to "CLEAR YOUR MIND"; the reversal of
emphasis might have the same effect!

Know-it-all

May 10, 2006, 3:29:07 AM5/10/06
to Happiness Group
When you tune into the infinite, you find joy in everything, sounds of
birds, the way your cat walks, the colours of the leaves. When you have
gratitude for everything that you see and everything you experience,
your life becomes a walking meditation. You live in the everpresent
now, no thoughts of past no worry about some future event. Some people
do not find the time to put aside for meditation, so making your life a
walking meditation clears the way for all eventualities to be created
in your life every day. We create our realities. We need to learn to
live with what we have created or else create something new. We have
far more control over what happens to us than most people realise. We
are indeed powerful beings. One of the secrets to a happy life is to
put less time into doing and more time into being. After all we are
human beings, not human doings.