Best way to migrate DSTU2 / HAPI 4.1.0 / JPA to R4 / HAPI 5.3.0 / JPA

Chuck Summers

Apr 19, 2021, 11:13:48 AM4/19/21
to HAPI FHIR
Hi All,

What is the best way to migrate from DSTU2 / HAPI 4.1.0 / JPA instance to R4 / HAPI 5.3.0 / JPA?    We have many applications accessing our FHIR DSTU2 versioned APIs .. and .. .these applications are looking to update to FHIR R4.    The application teams would like to have the same patient, questionnaire, observation, medication, etc data as they have now.   One of the applications would like to have access to all of the existing resource history.

As I understand it, there is JPA database migration script that can assist.  However, from my understanding this will not convert the existing DSTU2 data to R4.

Some folks in our organization believe the only way to accomplish this migration is to pull all existing data via REST API calls thru our DSTU2 endpoints (i.e. as a read operation) .. run the JSON data thru a DSTU2 to R4 conversion step .. and then send it into an empty instance of an R4 / HAPI 5.3.0 / JPI instance (i.e. as a create or update operation).

Is this the best option?   What have others done successfully.

Is there any hope of DSTU2 history migration to an R4 instance?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck Summers

Azhar Syed

Jul 19, 2022, 11:12:47 AM7/19/22
to HAPI FHIR
Hi Chuck,
Did you find a better way to do the migration? I'm trying to migrate from DSTU2 --> R4. Any recommendations/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Will Tesch

Jul 19, 2022, 7:35:12 PM7/19/22
to Azhar Syed, Austin Powers, HAPI FHIR
Gentlemen,

Our platform enables from dstu2 to FHIR4.  Would be happy to discuss if interested.

Will

Sent from Gmail Mobile

This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message. Thank you.

Chuck Summers

Jul 20, 2022, 8:48:40 AM7/20/22
to Azhar Syed, HAPI FHIR

Hi Azhar,

Below illustrates how we successfully migrated a large set of HAPI-FHIR JPA DSTU2 resource to R4 format for a client of ours.

cid36611*image001.png@01D89B94.55D33600

Regarding FHIR DSTU2 to R4 structure conversion, we leveraged NextGen’s Mirth Connect integration engine as a platform to execute a blend of JSON text inspection / modification and Java based HL7 FHIR model-to-model version convertors.  See:  https://hapifhir.io/hapi-fhir/docs/model/converter.html.   Inside the Mirth Connect engine, we constructed a set of FHIR DSTU2 to R4 resource specific conversion channels as illustrated below.   These channels worked together to create an DSTU2 to R4 workflow.

cid36611*image002.png@01D89B94.55D33600

Other technologies than Mirth Connect could have been used to encapsulate the resource convertors created.   The main benefits of Mirth Connect is that it has an internal data bus.. this feature gave the operation staff eye-ball visibility into conversion detail for each and every FHIR resource… along with ability to interactively fix and/or replay any failures.

Hope the above helps your efforts.

Chuck

--

signature_1325771297

ravi agrawal

Jan 31, 2023, 5:40:45 AM1/31/23
to HAPI FHIR
I am looking for a .net solution for converting DSTU to R4. Any help here would be really appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ravi