Digitisation Project Progress

macsmith

Sep 6, 2008, 5:08:25 AM9/6/08
to Hansard Prototype
I'm just about to embark on a phd and this digitisation project will
be a life saver - no camping in libraries or loss of eyesight expected
as a result!

I would like to know how close the project is to completion and
whether it will get the official approval from Hansard. These would
legitimise the data I extract from your archive, in the eyes of the
university examiners of my resultant thesis.

Thanks

macsmith

Robert Brook

Sep 6, 2008, 5:30:33 PM9/6/08
to Hansard Prototype
Hello there -

How close the project is to completion is, perhaps oddly, a little
difficult to say. We can be reasonably sure of what information we've
made available and what's missing, but we can't absolutely guarantee
it.

Although we have had very welcome support from Hansard proper, it
would be premature to describe our work as officially approved *as
Hansard*. That situation may change.

The source data we use is available at http://www.hansard-archive.parliament.uk/
- which may be seen as a more official source. What with the
parliament.uk URL and the portcullis at the top...

One approach in using the site may be: use our site to to initial
searches and reference matching ( the 'search help' page might be
useful ) and then back it up with the more official paper sources.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything more certain at this stage - and I
hope our work will be if use.