[Fwd: FW: Redhat 5.1 on Multi-Platforms]

Ken Hansen

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
--------------115E028DCBBACF050C955C8B

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:16:18 -0400
From: Ken Hansen <kha...@njcc.com>
To: axp-...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: FW: Redhat 5.1 on Multi-Platforms

Mike,
It's not that he won't pay someone to do it, it's that he
will ONLY pay Red Hat to do it!

Ken
kha...@njcc.com

Mike "Ford" Ditto wrote:

> > There should be a vehicle in which I can get just the GPL
> > software for my additional systems!
>
> There are several such vehicles. One is the Internet. There are
> others too. Your complaint boils down to "I don't want to download
> every thing, and I don't want to pay someone to put it on a CD for me".

Ken Hansen

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
--------------5E84F7E95983D55D06F5DAF2

--------------5E84F7E95983D55D06F5DAF2

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:10:55 -0400

From: Ken Hansen <kha...@njcc.com>
To: axp-...@redhat.com

Richard,
It's not that we don't "get" the concept, it's that we don't
agree with it - your position can be restated, I think, as the
following:

"I want Red Hat to offer a package with Commercial Intel Linux,
(which implies all the licensed, third-party software) and MOST,
but not all, of the software on the PowerTools CD set in one
package for an amount between $50 - $80, closer to $50 please."

As a customer, you are alway right, and are certainly welcome to have
your own wishes as to the packaging of Red Hat Linux, but what I and a
few other contributers are trying to expalin is that there is no
incentive
for Red Hat to do this! They would have to stock another item in
inventory,
properly estimate demand for this extremely unique package and try not
to lose too much money as releases come out and old stock is out-dated.

I work in the commercial software industry, I have worked for 10 man
software houses, and the #2 software house in the US, and I think I have
a pretty good understanding of the basics of software marketing - in MY
OPINION, Red Hat would be happier than a pig in slop if they could
simply
create a new release of Red Hat, send the masters off to a distributer
and then have someone else sell the software, they just sit back and let
the money come in without inventory, direct sales, etc. It would really
reduce the headaches on their end, but they would be forced to give up
some control of the release dates of the software - they couldn't
release
RH 5.2 six weeks after RH 5.1 shipped, as their distributer would be
stuck
with a lot of useless inventory!

If I understand correctly, your WHOLE PROBLEM with the current packaging
offered by Red Hat is that you buy a few CD's worth of shelfware - as a
concept, it is not the optimal situation, but I can tell you this, if
Red
Hat were to offer a package as you wish, it would probably cost about
$80
anyway - there would be a very small set of customers that would buy
such
a package, and in order to recover the additional packaging and inventoy
expenses of a new product would remove any cost savings you anticipate
by
removing two or three $1 CD-ROMs.

Oh, and by the way, in an earlier posting I mentioned that you seemed to
want Red Hat to compete with LSL & Cheapbytes by offering $5 (or less)
GPL versions of their software, but you insisted that you did not want
Red Hat to compete with LSL & Cheapbytes, but if they are both offering
the same package (GPL Intel/Alpha/SPARC CD-ROMS) they are competing!
Red hat knows there is a market for such offerings, but has (wisely,
IMHO)
choosen to let others handle that segment of the market.

Ken
kha...@njcc.com