UDB TGA

Larry Zimmerman

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

From: Bart-Jan Vrielink <bar...@de-boulevard.nl> Mon, 13 Jul 1998

> What is the largest BPP that the builtin TGA support ??
> I always thought it was 8bit, but is this true (I read a lot of posts here
> about people trying to get more color on their UDB with the newer TGA
> servers).

The people with the right answer must be busy. The UDB TGA is capable of
displaying more colors - with the right driver. I've tried the new driver,
but there seems to be a SYNC problem. It works ok in 8bpp, but not
in any of the 24, or 32 bit modes that I tried.

Larry Z.

Bart-Jan Vrielink

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Larry Zimmerman wrote:

> From: Bart-Jan Vrielink <bar...@de-boulevard.nl> Mon, 13 Jul 1998
>
> > What is the largest BPP that the builtin TGA support ??
> > I always thought it was 8bit, but is this true (I read a lot of posts here
> > about people trying to get more color on their UDB with the newer TGA
> > servers).
>
> The people with the right answer must be busy. The UDB TGA is capable of
> displaying more colors - with the right driver. I've tried the new driver,
> but there seems to be a SYNC problem. It works ok in 8bpp, but not
> in any of the 24, or 32 bit modes that I tried.

So it's the driver that is limitting the number of colors. Well, then it's
worth waiting for a better driver. I always thought the video hardware was
limiting the number of colors, and found it strange, 256 colors in 2MB
ram...

Tot ziens,

--
Bart-Jan Vrielink <b.j.vr...@de-boulevard.nl>
De Boulevard Electronic Commerce - IT Developer

Phil Marsden

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Larry Zimmerman wrote:

> The people with the right answer must be busy. The UDB TGA is capable of
> displaying more colors - with the right driver. I've tried the new driver,
> but there seems to be a SYNC problem. It works ok in 8bpp, but not
> in any of the 24, or 32 bit modes that I tried.

I thought it was me going mad... I am glad someone else has seen it as
well. Is there any one else with this problem? Could it be h/w specific
because some have definitely reported modes other than 8bpp working.

Phil.

Tim Rowley

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Phil Marsden wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Larry Zimmerman wrote:
> > The people with the right answer must be busy. The UDB TGA is capable of
> > displaying more colors - with the right driver. I've tried the new driver,
> > but there seems to be a SYNC problem. It works ok in 8bpp, but not
> > in any of the 24, or 32 bit modes that I tried.
>
> I thought it was me going mad... I am glad someone else has seen it as
> well. Is there any one else with this problem? Could it be h/w specific
> because some have definitely reported modes other than 8bpp working.

You're certainly not alone in not getting 16- and 32-bpp modes
working on a UDB. The closest I've heard it get to working is
displaying three narrow images in 32-bpp. The problem is that
this code was written based on some assumptions and without any
testing (I only have the 24-plane TGA, which is a bit different).
It might eventually turn out that these modes are impossible on a
UDB -- we really don't know.

-tor

Michael Larocque

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Tim Rowley wrote:

> You're certainly not alone in not getting 16- and 32-bpp modes
> working on a UDB. The closest I've heard it get to working is
> displaying three narrow images in 32-bpp. The problem is that
> this code was written based on some assumptions and without any
> testing (I only have the 24-plane TGA, which is a bit different).
> It might eventually turn out that these modes are impossible on a
> UDB -- we really don't know.

My understanding has always been that the udb was physically incapable
of anything other than 8-bit. However, I've been unable to find any
reference to support my belief. I just finished looking through the
pdf version of the udb manual, but couldn't find any reference to
bit-depth. Perhaps one of the 'digits' on the list can shed some light
on this issue...

Mike

<*> Michael Larocque - mlar...@shaw.wave.ca <*>
An idle CPU is a terrible thing to waste - www.distributed.net

Ken Hansen

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Michael Larocque wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Tim Rowley wrote:
>
> > You're certainly not alone in not getting 16- and 32-bpp modes
> > working on a UDB. The closest I've heard it get to working is
> > displaying three narrow images in 32-bpp. The problem is that
> > this code was written based on some assumptions and without any
> > testing (I only have the 24-plane TGA, which is a bit different).
> > It might eventually turn out that these modes are impossible on a
> > UDB -- we really don't know.
>
> My understanding has always been that the udb was physically incapable
> of anything other than 8-bit.

The hardware can do better, and WinNT can get higher color depths,
but (as I am sure you know by now) the Linux/Xfree X servers for
the UDB/TGA were not up to any better... It was always easier to
just drop in a better PCI card.

> However, I've been unable to find any
> reference to support my belief. I just finished looking through the
> pdf version of the udb manual, but couldn't find any reference to
> bit-depth. Perhaps one of the 'digits' on the list can shed some light
> on this issue...

The hardware manual won't say what the limitations of the software
is/are - for WinNT you can check the hardware compatability booklet
that ships with the software, for Linux, you have to look to the
XFree group literature, and the maillist/newsgroups are another
good source of info.

I always thought it would be a good project to put together a FAQ
booklet on UDB/Linux (sort of a "Dummies guide to Multia/UDB"), but
I sold my box before any time got freed-up! Now I think it would be
good to have the same for the AS200 4/166/233/etc from Onsale (since
I now have one of those!), but we'll have to see if I keep the box
long enough...

Ken
kha...@njcc.com

Shane Steven Sturrock

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
I've tried three different PCI cards in my UDB, a Matrox Mystique, an S3 Trio
64V2 and an S3 Trio 64+ card. Of the three, only the Trio64V2 actually got as
far as getting X up on a crappy SVGA monitor but it would crash an awful lot
and I never got it to drive my Sun monitor which the TGA is happy to do. The
Matrox wouldn't even get to the ARC console and the 64+ starts in ARC but when
I try and start Milo the machine hangs. Someone must be using a decent PCI
video card on their UDB, please point me at one, preferably one with a
programable dotclock that goes high enough to support the following modeline:

Modeline "1152x900" 94 1152 1212 1312 1536 900 912 928 964 -hsync

Oh, where can I find a copy of SVGATextMode which compiles on the Alpha, the
version shipped with 5.1 Intel won't. If I have to continue to live with the
TGA it would be nice to at least get a usable console mode out of the thing, my
Sun monitor goes down to 1024x768 but no lower.

--
Windows *IS* difficult to use. Difficult in the same way a teenager is
difficult, its immature, unstable and you can never get it to work