A serious problem with my 164LX

Hirsim{ki Mika

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
Yesterday my AlphaPC 164LX died without any warning. All it
does now, is a sad sequence of six beeps at startup. Since
there are probably people on this list who really know
something about Alpha hardware, I decided to ask for help.

So, this is the story so far:

I was re-installing Linux from RedHat 5.0 distribution, and
was just about to start formatting the hard drives, the
computer froze. Ominously, I couldn't change into other
virtual console nor reboot using alt-ctrl-del; I had to
hard-reset the computer.

It never recovered from this reset. Right after the reset,
it started beeping. There are six beeps, a pause, six beeps,
etc.

According to the manual it's trying to tell me that "Checksum
error detected when image was read back from memory". The manual
doesn't elaborate on the subject, but I assumed that this means
AlphaBIOS image is somehow corrupted.

No problem, I thought, I'll just reprogram the flash memory.

After inserting a jumper into CF7 at J27 I switched the power
back on, expecting it to load the flash memory from the 3.5"
disk and to flash my Alpha back to life.

Wrong. There is no disk activity, only the same damned beeping
continues. It doesn't try using the floppy drive or the scsi-bus,
nor does it show anything on the screen or respond to keyboard
or mouse input.

Could the FlashROM, for some reason, be totally destroyed or could
it be a problem with SROM (as I was suggested elsewere)?

I'm getting rather desperate, since the company I purchased the
motherboard from, has apparently gone bankrupt and cannot perform
any warranty repairs/replacements (for which the board is still
entitled).

I'd appreciate any help!