Netscape compiled for Alpha?

Mike

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I have heard on and off that the Netscape source code has been released.
If so has anyone compiled it for Alpha/Linux (RedHat 5.0). I am still using
the 2.0 build for DU, works okay but no Java or mail.

Thanks,

Mike

Warren

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
WHen I did this java worked as well.

Warren......

Brian E.W. Wood

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

On 13-Jul-98 Mike wrote:
> I have heard on and off that the Netscape source code has been released.
> If so has anyone compiled it for Alpha/Linux (RedHat 5.0). I am still using
> the 2.0 build for DU, works okay but no Java or mail.

Mozilla has been compiled for Alpha/Linux. I believe you can even find an RPM
at RedHat's ftp site (pub/contrib/hurricane/alpha/something).

You still won't have java or mail though, it is just an HTML browser and as
such not much better than KDE's browser.

Since you're running Netscape 2.0 for DU you could upgrade your Netscape. I use
3.01 and java and mail both work, although I don't use it for mail and have
found little use for java.

---
Brian E.W. Wood be...@intac.com

Keith Baker

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
What faq page?

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Warren wrote:

> WHen I did this java worked as well.
>

> Warren......

Todd Fleisher

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I am running DU Netscape 4.05 and have yet to get java to work. I had originally thought that it might have been due to my running 2.0.30, but I have since upgraded to 2.0.34 and this has not fixed the problem. Can anyone suggest a way to fix this?
Thanks,
Todd

--
Todd Fleisher
to...@fleish.org

Uncle George

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
the MOZILLA src code has been released, but only for the "netscape" browser.
Mail, and java are not jet a part of that release, \
BUT the folks at mozilla assure me "soon" for the release of the mail-news part.

gat

Mike wrote:

> I have heard on and off that the Netscape source code has been released.
> If so has anyone compiled it for Alpha/Linux (RedHat 5.0). I am still using
> the 2.0 build for DU, works okay but no Java or mail.

Paul Tomblin

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
I'm using the "Uncle George" port of jdk 1.1.5 on Alpha, and I have a bit of a
problem with a ServerSocket. The program sits there in a loop waiting for
connections on a ServerSocket, and when it gets one it spawns off a thread to
do IO on that server socket. But a strange thing happens when a connection
comes over the modem - the server program doesn't seem to see that connection
until I make a connection over the ethernet. I can open and close server
sockets over the ethernet, I've done many simultaneously with no problem. But
when I attempt to open a connection from another host that's connected through
the ppp connection, it just sits there. tcpdump shows that the communication
definitely came through, but java isn't responding. And then I open a
connection from another local machine over the ethernet, and BOTH it and the
waiting remote connection open up at the same time.

If anybody has any insight into this, I can provide sample code.

--
Paul Tomblin, ptom...@xcski.com.
"An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a

Jan Müller

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Brian E.W. Wood wrote:

> Since you're running Netscape 2.0 for DU you could upgrade your Netscape. I use
> 3.01 and java and mail both work, although I don't use it for mail and have
> found little use for java.

Hi !

How do i run DU binaries on Linux-Alpha ?
Will i just need the program (i.e. Netscape)
or do i have to get the DU libraries too ??

Jan.

Jan Müller

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Jan Müller wrote:

> How do i run DU binaries on Linux-Alpha ?
> Will i just need the program (i.e. Netscape)
> or do i have to get the DU libraries too ??
>
> Jan.

Just read the DU Licensing ramifications thread...
this clarified things.
Sorry for typing my previous question too fast.

Brian E.W. Wood

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

On 13-Jul-98 Todd Fleisher wrote:
> I am running DU Netscape 4.05 and have yet to get java to work. I had
> originally thought that it might have been due to my running 2.0.30, but I
> have since upgraded to 2.0.34 and this has not fixed the problem. Can anyone
> suggest a way to fix this?
> Thanks,
> Todd

I could never get java to run on a 4.x version of DU Netscape. I'm using 3.01
and java works OK.

---
Brian E.W. Wood be...@intac.com

Uncle George

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
when u get stuck in what u believe is an i/o ( socket ) wait, can u send to that
jdk a SIGIO signal via the kill pgm ( ie kill SIGIO process-id, where SIGIO is the
# for SIGIO - i cant remem at this moment what that number is ). it it kicks off,
then u got the classic race problem in the ethernet/linux protocol. The signal
gets to the pgm long before the connection is fully established.
gat