Adding percussion

Ken and Linda Lamb

Oct 15, 2022, 12:23:04 PM10/15/22
to Handbell-L
Specifically, a bodhran.  Has anyone had any experience with using a bodhran with handbells?  How did you do it?  What music did you use?  Any information would be welcome.

Thanks,
Linda Lamb

Ellie Hodder

Oct 15, 2022, 12:58:44 PM10/15/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Yes. We added to Gwetze. Can’t remember if there was a percussion score or not. Lots of good YouTube videos with instruction on how to play. Ellie

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

503-730-9311 cell/txt

J.-C. Coolen

Oct 15, 2022, 1:40:56 PM10/15/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Kath Wissinger has a piece with bodhran...?A Large Day?...pretty exciting.

jc

Shawn Gingrich

Oct 15, 2022, 3:20:18 PM10/15/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Kevin McChesney’s Celtic Praise (The Rap) calls for bodhran. I tried to learn how to play but never quite perfected the technique.
_____________________
Shawn Gingrich
Hershey Handbell Ensemble

On Oct 15, 2022, at 12:23 PM, Ken and Linda Lamb <kenla...@msn.com> wrote:

Specifically, a bodhran.  Has anyone had any experience with using a bodhran with handbells?  How did you do it?  What music did you use?  Any information would be welcome.

Thanks,
Linda Lamb

Susan Nelson

Oct 15, 2022, 3:41:17 PM10/15/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I have used it with my arrangements of the Brian Boru March. It worked great!

Sue Nelson

Digest: e-mail mdp...@gmail.com with subject line "Digest-L"
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Handbell-l" group.

Linda Krantz

Oct 15, 2022, 4:48:10 PM10/15/22
to Handbell-L
Lore of the Loom also has a bodhran.  We loved it!

Linda Krantz 🎶
After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

--
Digest: e-mail mdp...@gmail.com with subject line "Digest-L"
---

Debra LeBrun

Oct 16, 2022, 5:42:05 PM10/16/22
to Handbell-l
We did Kevin McChesney's Celtic Praise (The Rap) last spring with bodhran. It was great. My daughter already had some experience with bodhran, so she played it. The technique for Bodhran is very different, so if you are going to use it with a piece you will need to find someone who has experience playing it or is willing to put some time in to learning it. I have tried it and it takes some practice to get the different strokes down. Also, if you are trying to use it on a piece that doesn't have a specific bodhran part and just has a general drum part, be careful. Because of it's unique technique some rhythm patterns will work better than others.

Debra LeBrun