The clunking noise

TimR

Apr 19, 2024, 8:21:06 PMApr 19
to Handbell-l
I recorded a piece we were rehearsing.

Our church musician was listening and noticed there is a lot of mechanical clunking - something like keyboard noise, like if you play a digital piano with headphones and you hear the sound of the keys moving but not the music.

None of us had ever heard this live before, but we could all hear it on the iPhone recording.  And then if you listen you can hear it.

So now I'm curious.  Is it like chiff on an organ?  (you don't hear it, but the organ sounds more real if it's there).  The bells are old and overdue for some refurbishment.    What makes the clunk sound?

David Engle

Apr 19, 2024, 9:27:01 PMApr 19
to handb...@googlegroups.com

I have had a similar sound recently from my A4 bell (Schulmerich Quick-Adjust clapper head). A bell-tech found what he thinks is the cause. He removed the clapper assembly from the bell. He then removed the clapper head from the stem. There is a flat metal disk with up-turned edges and a raised dot that fits into small holes in the bottom of the clapper head to hold it tightly in place when adjusted to a new setting. He bent the edges up a bit and tapped the disk so that it fit a bit tighter, secured the clapper head tightly on the clapper stem and now there is no sound but the A4 tone when rung.

I do not know if this works on a Malmark bell but I have never heard a click or clunk from a Malmark either.

This also may not be the kind of sound that you are hearing. Hope it helps.

Dave E.

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Michele Sharik

Apr 19, 2024, 9:29:36 PMApr 19
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Possibly the sound of the clappers hitting the metal?

It’s weird what mics hear that we just “tune out” when listening live!

Michèle

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 19, 2024, at 17:21, TimR <timoth...@gmail.com> wrote:

I recorded a piece we were rehearsing.

Our church musician was listening and noticed there is a lot of mechanical clunking - something like keyboard noise, like if you play a digital piano with headphones and you hear the sound of the keys moving but not the music.

None of us had ever heard this live before, but we could all hear it on the iPhone recording.  And then if you listen you can hear it.

So now I'm curious.  Is it like chiff on an organ?  (you don't hear it, but the organ sounds more real if it's there).  The bells are old and overdue for some refurbishment.    What makes the clunk sound?

long...@aol.com

Apr 20, 2024, 7:26:09 AMApr 20
to handb...@googlegroups.com
When we recorded CDs eons ago, I found that miking from behind the ringers reduced the clapper strike noise. That might be an option. if the clapper noise occurs across the range.

Kath Wissinger

silve...@cox.net

Apr 22, 2024, 11:07:35 PMApr 22
to handb...@googlegroups.com

For Schulmerich bells, there can be a clicking sound when the springs hit the anti-friction washers.  If there is some play in the yoke (side-to-side) or a little looseness in the axle, there can be some noise from the yokes.  If you have QuickAdjust™ clappers, they have to be slightly loose to allow for the rotation of the clappers.  There can be some noise which sounds “spanky” or “slappy” to me when the clappers hit the casting.  This sound can happen with Select-a-Strike™ clappers when the clapper screw is loose.  Sometimes, the yokes can make a squeaky noise as the clapper shaft swings.  To fix the yoke noises, you can try laying the yoke on its side on a block of wood with a hole in it to accommodate the axle and bearing.  Put the smaller nut driver tool over the axle and bearing on the top side and strike the handle with a hammer to try to squeeze the yoke a bit tighter.  For axle play, set the yoke on its top (the portion where the handle screw hole is) on the wood block.  Place a narrow metal punch on the area just above the axle hole and strike the punch to “dimple” the area, squeezing the axle hole tighter.  For clapper noise, try tightening the clapper screw (either kind of clapper).  While doing all of this, check to make sure the handle screws are tight, as well.

For Malmark bells, there can be a clicking noise when the yoke hits the springs.  They can also have noise in the clappers similar to what I’ve described with the Schulmerich QuickAdjust™.  If you notice play in the yokes, you can carefully tighten the axle screws.  You can try tightening the clapper screws to reduce clapper noise.

A good servicing can help.  However, sometimes, you can work and work and still can’t completely eliminate all noise.  That’s the charm of the bells!

Happy Ringing!

Silver

Mrs. Silver D. Woodbury

Owner/Operator