Re: [HB-L] Digest for handbell-l@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Christine Anderson

Oct 8, 2022, 11:12:01 PM10/8/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I bet this is the problem of the bells eating your gloves: there is a “burr” on the handle screws. Simple solution - take a nail file to metal file and smooth down the screws. This happens when tightening screws and the screwdriver slips a bit, causing the burr. Hope this helps! Every time I tighten screws I check to see if they are still smooth across the tops.

Christine

On Oct 8, 2022, at 7:38 PM, handb...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Nicholas Barnard <ni...@inmff.net>: Oct 08 12:13AM -0700

Morn’n Everyone!

I figured since there is some activity here, I’ll ask this question over here instead of on Facebook.. (i’m there, but I’m very eh on it, since it does a poor job of making archived conversation accessible.

So as the subject mentions I run into an issue with a few bells that grab my gloves. They're Malmark bells, G3 to B3 and they’re older. The hand guards show New Britain, PA and the handles for the accidentals have the sharp on one side and the flat on the other, so I’m guessing they were made between 1978 and 1985 per https://www.malmark.com/about-us/

What happens is as I hold them my glove gets stuck in between the bit of the handle and the handguard. I don’t have this problem with any other bells except these five. (On the low end have a new C3, an F3, which I frequently play. And I’ve played every bell in four octaves on both Malmark and Schulmerich, so I don’t think its me. ;-) )

I’m curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? They generally seem to be assembled pretty well, but I’m curious if perhaps its a design issue with the bells of that era, and new handles, handguards, and yokes would fix the issue? Though that seems like a fair bit of money to fix this.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Nick
"Silver Woodbury" <silve...@cox.net>: Oct 08 04:01PM -0500

Hi, Nick!

It sounds like you've checked to make sure the main assembly screw (that goes through the center of the handle block) on each bell is tight. Have you made sure the handle assembly screw/couplers (that go through hold the handle itself to the handle block) are tight? If they aren't, they may be moving enough to catch your gloves. With parts of that vintage, it may be possible that the disks have warped or sagged some as well, causing a small gap. If you do try replacing parts, I'd start with the disks and handles first. The yokes should be fine.

Hope that helps!
Silver

Mrs. Silver D. Woodbury
Owner/Operator