Re: [HB-L] Digest for handbell-l@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 2 topics

JOHN A ZEIEN

Aug 18, 2021, 8:41:22 AM8/18/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the great suggestions. This is for a nearby church with a new director with no handbell experience so it will be easy and effective.

On Aug 17, 2021, at 10:38 PM, handb...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Jay Jay <suntanned...@gmail.com>: Aug 17 09:43AM -0400

Here is a link the easiest music I know of for Taps. Pay careful attention
to tempo and rhythm--the rhythm printed here isn't what a lot of people
think of when they hear Taps. This music is also written in B-flat (for
trumpet or bugle) so you may want to transpose it for handbells.

I rang this on Memorial Day Monday in my local cemetary as part of Taps
Across America...incredibly moving music, despite it's simplicity!

https://www.bands.army.mil/music/buglecalls/taps.asp

Jim Costilow
Apex, NC

Ann Wood <dawoo...@gmail.com>: Aug 17 11:40AM -0400

I assume you're wanting to do it on handbells! A soloist could do it from
a table or a belltree or 4-in-hand (there are only 4 notes in the tune).
If you want a choir to play it, I'd suggest a singing bell major chord in
the key you're playing in under the tune (which could be on bells or
chimes). I found lots of sources online for a free copy of the tune. The
standard key is Bb major, but since it's normally played on a trumpet or
bugle, much of the music is in C (because those instruments transpose).
Hope this helps.
Ann Wood
Centenary UMC McComb <mu...@centenary-umc.net>: Aug 17 07:21AM -0700

If you can't find an arrangement, I can recommend Bugles Across America as
a source for a bugler.
https://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/Request-A-Bugler

Soli Deo Gloria,

Christopher Hart
Minister of Music, Media, and Arts
chris...@centenary-umc.net

“Next to the Word of God, music deserves the highest praise. The gift of
language combined with the gift of song was given to man that he should
proclaim the Word of God through Music.”
Martin Luther