Does this group still function?

Tom Andrew

Oct 4, 2022, 10:07:34 AM10/4/22
to Handbell-l
Hello folks,

I am nit getting any updates from this group, and I see no new conversations since early in September.

Didi I miss something? Has this ceased to function?

Tom Andrew

Risë Kagan-Erickson

Oct 4, 2022, 10:21:00 AM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com, tjtan...@gmail.com
Hello Tom!
It's true there hasn't been much activity in a month or so. Presumably everybody busy starting up the program/academic year. We are still on, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten your email. 🙂

Risë Kagan-Erickson

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Stephanie Wiltse

Oct 4, 2022, 10:32:44 AM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com, tjtan...@gmail.com
Yep, we’re still here. A lot of the activity has moved to some handbell-related groups on Facebook.

Stephanie Wiltse
Grand Rapids, MI

Linda Lamb

Oct 4, 2022, 10:59:44 AM10/4/22
to Handbell-L, tjtan...@gmail.com
I have to say, when I joined this group c.f. years ago, it was a growing concern, and I could almost say, I learned more from the -L than anywhere else.  However, the list has changed, and everything seems to have gone to Facebook.  I miss the old way.

Linda Lamb

Linda Lamb

Oct 4, 2022, 10:59:55 AM10/4/22
to Handbell-L
Autocorrect -I have no idea what c. f. years ago means.  I was trying to say, X number of years ago.  Duh...

LindaL

Elke White

Oct 4, 2022, 12:14:06 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I agree that handbell-l is where I have learned the most also.  Even though we don't communicate as often anymore, this list is still super helpful and needed in my opinion.  Because for whatever reason, the handbell Facebook groups (like most other Facebook groups) are prone to uninformed bashing/bullying from time to time, and it's been bad enough that I am now very reluctant to ask or answer questions on any Facebook group.  Handbell L is still by far the safest space to ask questions.  Perhaps because we all know each other so well.

Leila Norris

Oct 4, 2022, 12:42:24 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!
Here's a natty question please. For some reason, the left bar line of just one measure - which is also the left of a new grand staff -  is thick...  all the others in the score are normal.  Haven't been able to figure out how to make m. 35 left bar line normal.  measure 34 right bar is a normal thickness ...   Any thoughts, please?  Thanks!   Leila
image.png

lgb.list

Oct 4, 2022, 1:35:15 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com

Leila Norris

Oct 4, 2022, 1:35:47 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
OK - I'm embarrassed!  FOUND the solution. Always a 'learning curve' the first time one sees something totally new and different.  It was right in front of my eyes under Measure Attributes. DUH!  lol Thanks anyway! And at least there was some 'action' on HandbellL for a change!  Have a great week, everyone!

Jason Tiller

Oct 4, 2022, 2:01:26 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi, :)

It seems to me that e-mail is no longer the way most people like to communicate - we seem to prefer social media instead. I think the decline of activity of Handbell-L can be almost directly correlated with the rise in the use of social media. E-mail is now associated with work and is considered a burden.

Things change!

---Jason

Risë Kagan-Erickson

Oct 4, 2022, 2:17:11 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Linda; I have learned an awful lot from the -L, over the years and I miss it.

Do I have to do FB, just so I can keep up with my handbell friends??? Another big learning curve!!! I don't wanna!!!!!

Risë Kagan-Erickson

Lauren Sanders

Oct 4, 2022, 2:37:47 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason!

I think one of the other things that might have contributed to the decline of the email list was the loss of both original list managers (although it *is* good to see you reply, Jason!).
It's always helpful to have the list admin(s) poke things along.  :)

Laurie "it's been awhile, I miss bells"

Rima Greer

Oct 4, 2022, 2:56:59 PM10/4/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I miss the L.  Facebook just isn’t the same…. ;-((((

Rima (I miss bells too…)

Paul Kinney

Oct 5, 2022, 10:02:11 AM10/5/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Some of us refuse to join Facebook and will gladly stick to email.

Paul Kinney
Westland, MI

thomas andrew

Oct 5, 2022, 10:05:09 AM10/5/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks - I'm glad to know we are still functioning.
It was getting pretty lonely....

Tom

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Shawn Gingrich

Oct 5, 2022, 10:29:41 AM10/5/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be on here forever - I got kicked off of Facebook when someone hacked my account. FB told me I’d been hacked but still banned me from having an account. I’m done with them!

jholt2775

Oct 5, 2022, 10:45:31 AM10/5/22
to thomas andrew, handb...@googlegroups.com
I am also happy to have this group still around.  Great wisdom.and knowledge within.  I use Facebook everyday for my other job - don't use it at all for bells.  Not quite the same vibe.

Sent from my Galaxy
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Handbell-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/handbell-l/CADa81mpTu9_pG%2BYGtAcAJza%2BY7H_e89LtwAbzb0f4ArXDDouGw%40mail.gmail.com.

Risë Kagan-Erickson

Oct 5, 2022, 10:45:57 AM10/5/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
 Hear, Hear, Paul! Thanks for speaking out with the Facebook nay-sayers!

Risë

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 10:02 AM Paul Kinney <bel...@comcast.net> wrote:
--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Derek Hakes

Oct 5, 2022, 10:59:54 AM10/5/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I don’t trust Facebook. Never have, never will. Even though I’m crazy busy right now, to know Handbell -L is still up and running is great to know (considering the only other email I receive is all spam).

Derek Hakes

Sent from my iPhone

Pat Meinecke

Oct 5, 2022, 11:30:12 AM10/5/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I too, prefer this forum.  I forget to check Facebook.

For anyone who might be interested, after living in western NC for 30 years my husband, Henry, & I moved to Spokane, WA so that our younger daughter
could be nearby to assist me with care of Henry (Altzheimers) when needed.  I sold my 6 octave sets of bells and choirchimes to my wonderful community bell choir,
Brasstown Ringers, and am proud to say that they are continuing to carry on under the able leadership of Linda Sterret who lives in Franklin, NC.  For a group
of ringers that are scattered from eastern TN, across northern GA and southwestern NC they are doing really creative things and using the talents of their
many musicians & organist-director members to good advantage.

Thought I was through with handbells when we moved to Spokane but found Bella Cristo, a community group, where I played for two seasons, limping through the
Covid seasons, and a two octave church group.  Last year the church group became in need of a new leader so I stepped in to temporarily fill the void.  This year
we have enthusiastically resumed with the addition of two new ringers & guess who is still their leader.  Yep, moi!  Can you tell I love it!
If any one knows of a third octave of Malmark bells not being used, I'm interested.

Pat Meinecke
Spokane, WA

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Pat Meinecke
Handbell Director:  Brasstown Ringers & Alleluia Ringers (St. Andrew Lutheran Church)
Resident Quilter:  John C Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, NC

Pat Meinecke

Oct 5, 2022, 11:31:47 AM10/5/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Oops.  Forgot that my old signature line is still bugging me.  Sorry about that.