Re: stationary bells - term

long...@aol.com

Dec 30, 2023, 4:55:36 PM12/30/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I call it a "static ring" - and sometimes we drop it straight-armed down to the pad after holding it a it (like for Wagner's Fantasy on Kingsfold.)
Kath

In a message dated 12/29/2023 9:38:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, handb...@googlegroups.com writes:

Is there commonly understood terminology and/or a symbol to indicate that the bells are to remain stationary at the strikepoint, thus without any kind of follow through movement?

Composers, in those rare instances how do you indicate this technique? I've used this effect occasionally and am using it in an original work to be used for DB West. I'd like to notate this as clearly as possible.

Thank you for any helpful input.

Fred Gramann

Susan Nelson

Dec 31, 2023, 9:16:45 PM12/31/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Kath,
Yes, it's a cool and dramatic technique. Allured used it his master class years ago, but I don't remember which class.

 Bill Alexander and Strikepoint have invented a lot of great articulations over the years.

Sue Nelson
--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com