Re: [HB-L] Abridged summary of handbell-l@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Fred Gramann

Dec 28, 2023, 10:44:14 PM12/28/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Is there commonly understood terminology and/or a symbol to indicate that the bells are to remain stationary at the strikepoint, thus without any kind of follow through movement?
Composers, in those rare instances how do you indicate this technique? I’ve used this effect occasionally and am using it in an original work to be used for DB West. I’d like to notate this as clearly as possible.
Thank you for any helpful input.
Fred Gramann

On Dec 29, 2023, at 03:38, handb...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Wendy Cheng <hohvi...@gmail.com>: Dec 28 01:14PM -0800

Hi everyone,

I have been intrigued with the idea of attending the IHS event this August
in Japan. However, I have beem stymied trying from find out more
information about the repertoire for the ...more
Brian Seemann <bseem...@gmail.com>: Dec 28 04:18PM -0500

The repertoire for Symposium is nominated by each of the member
organizations. Each member gets one piece, with the host country getting
two. The goal is to have each piece be achievable for an ...more
"J.-C. Coolen" <jcco...@sympatico.ca>: Dec 28 04:25PM -0500

100% agree!

And, the chance to hear and ring with a lot of
Japanese choirs is not to be missed...if you're
interested in attending an IHS, this would be the one to attend--go for it!!
...more

Fred Gramann

Dec 28, 2023, 10:55:40 PM12/28/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
This is a note of thanks to this list and HMA. Several weeks ago I enlisted your help in finding young bronze-level ringers who would benefit from a tuition scholarship for the Bay View Week of Handbells. As a result we received four amazing applications and, thanks to the Carl Wiltse Scholarship Fund, have been able to provide scholarships for all four! We plan to continue our efforts to interest young musicians in this bronze-level event as they are the future of this musical art.
Thank you, handbell-L and HMA.

Jason Tiller

Dec 28, 2023, 11:02:04 PM12/28/23
to 'F Simpson' via Handbell-l
Yo,

Sonos calls it “Robot Ring.”

—-Jason

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023, at 7:43 PM, Fred Gramann wrote:
> Is there commonly understood terminology and/or a symbol to indicate
> that the bells are to remain stationary at the strikepoint, thus
> without any kind of follow through movement?
> Composers, in those rare instances how do you indicate this technique?
> I’ve used this effect occasionally and am using it in an original work
> to be used for DB West. I’d like to notate this as clearly as possible.
> Thank you for any helpful input.
> Fred Gramann
>
> On Dec 29, 2023, at 03:38, handb...@googlegroups.com wrote:
>>

>> handb...@googlegroups.com <
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/handbell-l/topics
>> Google Groups <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview>
>> Today's topic summary
>> View all topics <
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/handbell-l/topics
>>
>> • International Handbell Sympoisum 2024 <#group_thread_0> - 3 Updates
>> International Handbell Sympoisum 2024 <http://groups.google.com/group/handbell-l/t/49435298455ec081?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
>> Wendy Cheng <hohvi...@gmail.com>: Dec 28 01:14PM -0800
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have been intrigued with the idea of attending the IHS event this August
>> in Japan. However, I have beem stymied trying from find out more
>> information about the repertoire for the ...more <http://groups.google.com/group/handbell-l/msg/c83b5b327563?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
>> Brian Seemann <bseem...@gmail.com>: Dec 28 04:18PM -0500
>>
>> The repertoire for Symposium is nominated by each of the member
>> organizations. Each member gets one piece, with the host country getting
>> two. The goal is to have each piece be achievable for an ...more <http://groups.google.com/group/handbell-l/msg/c8780818e6d5?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
>> "J.-C. Coolen" <jcco...@sympatico.ca>: Dec 28 04:25PM -0500
>>
>> 100% agree!
>>
>> And, the chance to hear and ring with a lot of
>> Japanese choirs is not to be missed...if you're
>> interested in attending an IHS, this would be the one to attend--go for it!!
>> ...more <http://groups.google.com/group/handbell-l/msg/c8dc1353b712?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
>> Back to top <#digest_top>
>> You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page <

> [...]

THOMAS SIMPSON

Dec 28, 2023, 11:08:56 PM12/28/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. Robot Ring. That’s gonna need a footnote.

Thomas

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 28, 2023, at 8:02 PM, Jason Tiller <ja...@sonos.org> wrote:
>
> Yo,
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/handbell-l/da960fd4-96d9-4f43-85d1-b29bda488798%40app.fastmail.com.

Brenda Austin

Dec 28, 2023, 11:27:18 PM12/28/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

Personally, I call it a Strikepoint Freeze. And notate it as SPF. But it is not official.

Brenda

Brenda E. Austin
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 28, 2023, at 7:55 PM, Fred Gramann <grama...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is a note of thanks to this list and HMA. Several weeks ago I enlisted your help in finding young bronze-level ringers who would benefit from a tuition scholarship for the Bay View Week of Handbells. As a result we received four amazing applications and, thanks to the Carl Wiltse Scholarship Fund, have been able to provide scholarships for all four! We plan to continue our efforts to interest young musicians in this bronze-level event as they are the future of this musical art.
--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Cheryl McFarlane

Dec 28, 2023, 11:54:54 PM12/28/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Was it ever referred to as a "cold hold"?

Carl Scott Zimmerman

Dec 29, 2023, 10:31:11 PM12/29/23
to Handbell-l
Can anyone point me (us) to a video that illustrates this technique?  I'm having difficulty imagining how such a thing could be physically possible.

Cathy Moklebust

Dec 29, 2023, 10:41:05 PM12/29/23
to Handbell-L
Although I've never written it in my compositions, I've used the technique in various pieces I've conducted. I like calling it a "Stop Stroke." I don't have a symbol in mind, but perhaps "SS" could work.

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Jeannie Cushman

Dec 29, 2023, 10:42:35 PM12/29/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
We called it a "dead ring" 20 years ago.  Exactly as Fred describes it - the clapper strikes and then everything stops.  A "punch ring" was similar but had more umph and a straighter arm at the strike point.

Jeannie Cushman

Fred Gramann

Dec 30, 2023, 12:22:17 AM12/30/23
to Handbell-l
Okay, I'll go with Dead Frozen Robot Strikepoint Hold or DFRSH. :^)
I knew you'd all come through for me.
Fred

Stephanie Wiltse

Dec 30, 2023, 12:33:23 AM12/30/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I could have sworn we learned the Dead Ring from you at the beginning of Prelude on Herzliebster! We also used it the end of Change Ring Prelude. Such a a cool effect to strike and freeze, then lift the bells together and let the chord blossom as the bells rise together.

Stephanie W

Fred Gramann

Dec 30, 2023, 3:29:51 AM12/30/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Stephanie,
You swore good. :^) The use of this technique on the opening chords of Prelude on Herzliebster Jesu represents nails being hammered into the cross.
The use of it at the end of Change Ring Prelude on Divinum Mysterium will now need to be notated as a DFSRHB (Dead Frozen Robot Strikepoint Hold with Blossom). :^0
Fred

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Handbell-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/handbell-l/CAGopQeCSrFUPfd3aikgK6hE0dPeMmp6ufBqLYiBm3DX4EZei8A%40mail.gmail.com.

Silver Woodbury

Dec 31, 2023, 6:27:53 PM12/31/23
to handb...@googlegroups.com

I would describe the “Strikepoint freeze” or “robot ring” in this way:  You move your arm in your normal ringing motion, but instead of the usual follow-through after the bell sounds, you stop your arm motion.  If you do this with your arm extended high, it’s often called the “Statue of Liberty.”  Hope that helps!

BTW, let’s have bells galore in 2024!

Ringingly yours!

Silver

Mrs. Silver D. Woodbury