Why do we wear gloves?

Ruben Mendoza

Dec 29, 2015, 1:24:31 AM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
So last night I had my final holiday performance and there was a short Q&A at the end. Someone in the audience asked why we wear gloves. Someone in my group answered the question.

I know the 2 or 3 urban legends about this topic and I know the debate on why you should or should not wear gloves. I want to know in a performance situation, how would you answer this question in a brief and concise manner?

Ruben
Los Angeles, CA

Merry Lloyd

Dec 29, 2015, 2:01:07 AM12/29/15
to 13
We get asked this often.  I explain that gloves are worn to protect the bells from skin oils, which of course they do not...and to 'set off' the bells.
HOWEVER...my preference is to play naked.  I want to be closer to my instrument...never saw any violin player or bass player or anyone else, except maybe fingerless gloves outside ... wearing gloves and when we use our own bells I for one do NOT wear them, even if I am the only one...director says its optional (ok ok, he is my husband)

much longer reply that you wanted I am sure...

Merry Christmas...day four!!  and its cawing birds not calling.

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Merry Lloyd
Columbia River Handbells
When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.  If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.     Techumseh (1758-1813). Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.

White, Elke

Dec 29, 2015, 9:08:24 AM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Short and concise answer?

"We are lazy and don't want to have to clean the bells too often."

You will get a chuckle out of the sudience too.

Elke White

Charles Peery

Dec 29, 2015, 9:21:55 AM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I understand that it’s largely a convention without much basis these days, but what about cushioning?  Lots of repetitive movements, lots of contact… does anyone think it’s reasonable to use this as an answer?  I think my bass ringers would.
Chuck in St. Louis

Lilly

Dec 29, 2015, 9:27:09 AM12/29/15
to handbell-l
It hurts my hands to 4/hand with no gloves. I prefer not to have calluses and to keep my hands soft and delicate.Wink

Dec 29, 2015, 10:59:07 AM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
1. To protect the bells from us.    (reduce transfer of dirt, sweat and oils that need to be cleaned off castings)
2. To protect us from the bells.    (prevent sore spots, blisters and callouses - esp. bass and 4iH)
3. Conformity/Costume.               (help present a 'cohesive' group of musicians playing the instrument)

Roy

Dec 29, 2015, 12:12:48 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Re #1 - not so much. Your gloves are only as clean as the last time you washed them! ;-) (Also: don't use liquid fabric softener when you do wash them. Makes awful smudges on the bells if you don't get it all rinsed out. Dryer sheets are fine. And OMG don't even talk to me about the dots!)

And 4. If your bells have leather handles (WC, P&F, etc). Otherwise your skin oils soften and discolor the leather. Unless that's what you want....

-Michèle

Sent from my iPhone

ro...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 29, 2015, 12:27:44 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
re #1 - please note I stated 'reduce' - not 'prevent'

Dec 29, 2015, 12:49:43 PM12/29/15
to Handbell-l

But you have to remember that #1 was the conventional "wisdom" back when gloves were first worn, so I would tell an audience that the original idea behind wearing gloves was to protect the bells from any oils or dirt on our hands. As time has passed, we've realized that's not necessarily the case, so now ringers may or may not wear gloves, depending on the director's wishes.

And I don't really think there's a concise answer to this question (as is true of most audience questions at a concert, in my experience).

PL

Stephanie Wiltse

Dec 29, 2015, 12:52:35 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Q: Why does your group wear black gloves?

A: Because the white ones are in the wash.

Stevie W

.

Rima Greer

Dec 29, 2015, 1:06:57 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
A:  Because we’re badass.

Rima
Ah, the good old days….

Stephanie Wiltse

Dec 29, 2015, 2:18:21 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes, there's that too!

Stevie W

Barbara Silvey

Dec 29, 2015, 2:36:54 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, we are ;-)

Barbanile
Campanile A&F

Barb

kidsn...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2015, 4:31:34 PM12/29/15
to Handbell-l
...because it looks great - bronze against black is my preference, but they show up against the white gloves, also - the bell color sort of disappears into the various skin tones....
In response to those who prefer to have "close contact" with the bell handle and so go gloveless, I agree, but it can be achieved by buying the velcro'd gloves and making sure you wash them to shrink fit your hand.

karen allen

Michele Sharik

Dec 29, 2015, 4:46:34 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Those gloves are still too thick for me like that. I buy thin satin gloves from Finale Gloves that work for me when I have to wear gloves. They're the next best thing to being naked! ;-)

-Michèle

Sent from my iPhone

Nicholas Barnard

Dec 29, 2015, 4:48:03 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Nah, wrong answer..

Q: Why does your group wear black gloves?
A: We burned all the white ones because we couldn’t get them back to white without them unraveling from too much bleach.

;-)

Nick

Nicholas Barnard

Dec 29, 2015, 4:50:56 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I second the cushioning bit.

For new years 2013 to 2014 we brought bass bells home and rung them outside to ring in the new year.. I went a little nutzo with a G3 and managed to rub the sides of my knuckles raw.. That took a few weeks to heal.

Nicholas Barnard

Dec 29, 2015, 4:54:42 PM12/29/15
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I wear them for among other reasons: they prevent issues with sweaty palms.

I also was taught as a youngin that one does not touch bells unless one has gloves on. It really freaked me out when I joined a church bell choir seven years later to see the group putting away the bells with naked hands, and only touching the handles.

Nick

Ken and Linda Lamb

Dec 30, 2015, 9:12:36 AM12/30/15
to Handbell-L
Our group once presented a concert that was attended by my physician.  After the concert, he asked me, "aside from the schmaltz factor, why do you wear gloves?"

Linda Lamb