Join me on the Felt Sense Polyvagal Approach to Trauma and Addiction Poscast with Jan Hall on Sept. 21

Andrew Tatarsky

Sep 17, 2023, 5:06:06 PM9/17/23
Please join us for this exciting conversation. We will be comparing notes between IHRP and FSPA to trauma and addiction. I'll also discuss some of my personal journey toward this work!

You need to join the group for free to join the Zoom discussion: https://polyvagal-institute.mn.co/share/A0Bf6rtJumODLtF7?utm_source=manual Free to join, all welcome.

PVI-Meetup-Andrew-Tatarsky-square.png

‘Integrative Harm Reduction Psychotherapy’
with Andrew Tatarsky

Thursday 12pm-1pm ET
September 21, 2023

Free to join, all welcome.

Join this Zoom meetup by registering here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89725433449?pwd=UzZKM2ZpeTBtM3FnWnVOTllPV1JyZz09

“I began working as a counselor in the addiction treatment field when the disease concept abstinence-only model was the only acceptable approach; anything else was considered blasphemy. Over those early years in my career, I realized that this approach was not only not helping the overwhelming majority of people struggling with addiction, but was traumatizing many of them. I was forced by this recognition to challenge this model’s basic assumptions and break its rules in my clinical practice and I discovered a powerful and effective alternative that I have come to call Integrative Harm Reduction Psychotherapy (IHRP). Many years into the evolution of IHRP I became aware, in my own personal therapy, that an addiction treatment trauma that I experienced when I was 15 years old, unconsciously brought me into the addictions field, sensitized me to what was wrong with it and inspired my passion to create an effective alternative based on empathy, respect, collaboration and empowerment.”

Andrew has worked with addiction for over 40 years. He is the author of Harm Reduction Psychotherapy: A New Treatment for Drug and Alcohol Problems. He developed Integrative Harm Reduction Psychotherapy (IHRP) for treating the spectrum of risky and addictive behavior as an alternative to traditional abstinence-only substance use treatment. IHRP brings relational psychoanalysis, CBT and mindfulness together in a harm reduction frame. IHRP meets people wherever they are on their positive change journeys and works collaboratively to support people in discovering their truth and what goals and approach to positive change best suit them. Andrew is a graduate of New York University’s Postdoctoral Program in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. Andrew’s writing, teaching, clinical work and advocacy aim to promote a re-humanized view of people who struggle with substances and a harm reduction continuum of care that will extend help to everyone who needs and wants it wherever they are ready to begin their positive change journeys.
Website: https://www.andrewtatarsky.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CenterForOptimalLiving

About the Felt Sense Polyvagal Approach to Trauma & Addiction group
The Felt Sense Polyvagal Approach to Trauma & Addiction Group is a place for you to explore with others, through a polyvagal lens, the experiences of trauma and addiction. We are focusing on understanding addiction through the lens of the nervous system, as an adaptive response to maladaptive environments. This group is growing in leaps and bounds indicating a hunger for change, for the kind of transformative change that polyvagal theory brings us. The group interacts online via the Polyvagal Institute Community app. Once every few weeks the group meets live on Zoom for an hour of exploration and discussion with a guest presenter. JOIN HERE: https://polyvagal-institute.mn.co/share/A0Bf6rtJumODLtF7?utm_source=manual Free to join, all welcome.