ON4UN "Low Band DXing" copy available for a HamSCI student member

Phil Erickson

Dec 12, 2020, 12:53:44 PM12/12/20
to Unknown
Hi all,

  I have ended up with a duplicate paper copy (still in shrinkwrap) of (SK) John Devoldere ON4UN's excellent book "Low Band DXing", 5th and final edition (2019).  This is a great reference for those looking for practical inspiration in working with bands at wavelengths > 20 meters - 40, 80, 160, longer.  The propagation chapter at the front, done with the help of Carl K9LA, is outstanding.  It comes with a CD that has searchable text for the entire book.

  Very regrettably, it looks like the recent "fire sale" of books at ARRL HQ, including Low Band DXing, has led to them not stocking it any longer.  This is a shame.  Amazon shows serious price gouging is already taking place:

  I wish to counter these trends for curious student radio amateurs.  My duplicate copy is free to the first (judged by email timestamp) student, subscribing to this list, who sends me a direct email requesting it.  It's the holidays after all.  I'll update here when the recipient is determined.

73
Phil W1PJE

--
----
Phil Erickson

Phil Erickson

Dec 12, 2020, 1:44:19 PM12/12/20
to Unknown
Hi all,

  The book has been claimed!

73
Phil W1PJE

DON FRASER

Dec 12, 2020, 2:30:56 PM12/12/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Phil;

I have a very slightly used copy that I’ll ship to number 2 on your list.

Don, WA9WWS

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Phil Erickson

Dec 12, 2020, 3:42:03 PM12/12/20
to Unknown
Hi Don,

  OK, the secret is out - the gates have been opened once again.  Students out there - anyone want to take Don up on his offer?  Send me an email.

73
Phil W1PJE

George Byrkit

Dec 12, 2020, 3:58:12 PM12/12/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Many of us can also supply older copies of the ARRL Antenna Book and ARRL Handbook, since they are published frequently.

It looks like rather than keeping books in stock, ARRL uses Lulu to do a lot of print-on-demand of the books that it sells. It certainly reduces stock space requirements and inventory cost tie-up except when you want a bunch to take to a hamfest or something. Hopefully, we'll be seeing some of those later next year.

73,
George K9TRV

http://www.arrl.org/news/low-band-titan-john-devoldere-on4un-sk

https://www.amazon.com/ON4UNs-Band-DXing-Devoldere-ON4UN/dp/087259856X

phil.e...@gmail.com <mailto:phil.e...@gmail.com>

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines <http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines> .
---

Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

----
Phil Erickson
phil.e...@gmail.com <mailto:phil.e...@gmail.com>

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Phil Erickson

Dec 12, 2020, 6:07:48 PM12/12/20
to Unknown
Hi all,

  George has inspired me to try and act as the HamSCI student book clearinghouse.  Happy to do so if it gets good texts into the hands of students.

  So:

  If you have spare books that a student can use:
  Please email me directly with your information and what you would like to provide (George gives an example above)

  If you are a student and could be interested in books of this type:
  Please email me and let me know your background and what kind of program you are in.

  I'll organize those spare books into a spreadsheet and share it with students to connect them with providers.  The rest will then be up to the individuals involved.

73
Phil W1PJE

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/011801d6d0c9%247f8efed0%247eacfc70%24%40chartermi.net.