HamSCI vs USGS/NRCan magnetometer data for the May 10-12 storm

Kim, Hyomin

Jul 9, 2024, 5:48:43 PM (6 days ago) Jul 9
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to share a plot showing the magnetic field variations during the May 10-12 geomagnetic storm - from the two NRCan, two USGS, and four HamSCI magnetometers. Note that the y range of the top two magnetometer data is +/- 1000 nT while the rest is +/-500 nT. Typically, the high latitude magnetic field variations (in/near the auroral zone) are bigger. > 500 nT changes at mid latitudes is quite remarkable. As can be seen in the plot, such large-scale magnetic field variations are well picked up even by our HamSCI magnetometers.

Also attached is a map showing the locations of the magnetometers. The USGS and NRCan magnetometers provide precisely calibrated magnetic field data.

Best,
Hyomin

NJIT logoHyomin Kim, PhD
Assistant Professor
Physics
Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research
Institute for Space Weather Sciences

hm...@njit.edu • (973) 596-5704
https://web.njit.edu/~hmkim/
104 Tiernan Hall, 161 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07102
Ground_FGM_StackPlot_20240510.pdf
Map_Mag.pdf