TangerineSDR tonight!

Dev Joshi

May 24, 2021, 10:59:24 AM5/24/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder we are having the TangerineSDR tonight on Zoom ! As always, it starts at 9 PM Eastern (0100z).

Here is the zoom link : https://scranton.zoom.us/j/91432247420?pwd=VWE5NnFhcUZIc04wWjkvcCtkbWJ4UT09

 See you tonight!

 --------------------------------------

Topic: TangerineSDR Teamspeak Telecons

Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join Zoom Meeting
https://scranton.zoom.us/j/91432247420?pwd=VWE5NnFhcUZIc04wWjkvcCtkbWJ4UT09

Meeting ID: 914 3224 7420
Passcode: tangerine

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,91432247420#,,,,,,0#,,565464953# US (Chicago)
+19294362866,,91432247420#,,,,,,0#,,565464953# US (New York)

 Dial by your location

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 914 3224 7420
Passcode: 565464953

Find your local number: https://scranton.zoom.us/u/axnGQDE2q

Best,
Dev
Dev Joshi, Ph.D., KC3PVE
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Physics and Engineering
The University of Scranton
C: 617 775 9712

Dev Joshi

May 31, 2021, 6:06:23 AM5/31/21
to TangerineSDR Listserv, ham...@googlegroups.com

HL Serra

May 31, 2021, 1:00:15 PM5/31/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dev- Please, how will the proposed Tangerine magnetometer work? Will it send magnetic field data digitally to my desktop computer, or will it require an Arduino or Raspberry Pi to process the magnetometer data?
Cheers, and 73,
Larry N6NC

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Jonathan

May 31, 2021, 1:21:08 PM5/31/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,

Currently, it utilizes an external sensor board connected to a Raspberry Pi hat. Software reads the data from the sensor board and logs it to the Pi’s file system.

Jonathan
KC3EEY

HL Serra

May 31, 2021, 2:19:21 PM5/31/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jonathan. How then is that magnetometer data transferred to the HAMSCI project? Is the data sent continuously as it is received by the Raspberry Pi to my desktop and forwarded to the HAMSCI project, or is that done in a periodic data dump by the desktop for forwarding to HAMSCI? (I'm trying to figure out what gear I will need to collect HAMSCI propagation and magnetometer data, hopefully unattended. I have a RACAL RA6790/GM rcvr that is frequency referenced by a 10MHz GPSDO, and the rcvr reads out accurately to 1 Hz, and has an IF output port. I also have an HP3325A which (if I remember correctly) can parse freq down to 1/1000th Hz. But if an SDR with a good TCXO is adequate, I might just get an RFSPACE Cloud SDR which has a good TCXO and a pulse trigger port, and can be left unattended and connected online to transmit the required freq data.)

Cheers, and 73,
Larry N6NC

HL Serra

May 31, 2021, 2:30:29 PM5/31/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dev- I am on travel so will miss the Tangerine Zoom meeting tonight.
Any chance you could record it?
73, Larry N6NC

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 3:06 AM Dev Joshi <dev...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jonathan

May 31, 2021, 3:26:26 PM5/31/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,

The project is not at the stage of collecting mass amounts of data yet.
Those who have the magnetometer are just collecting data for now. I
believe it's saved to the file system in csv format. The sensor detects
the change in magnetic field and produces measurements accordingly.

The Zoom meetings are recorded and put on the HamSCI youtube channel.

Jonathan
KC3EEY

On Mon, 31 May 2021, HL Serra wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 11:19:09 -0700
> From: HL Serra <hls...@gmail.com>
> To: ham...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [HamSCI] TangerineSDR tonight !
>
> Thanks, Jonathan. How then is that magnetometer data transferred to the
> HAMSCI project? Is the data sent continuously as it is received by the
> Raspberry Pi to my desktop and forwarded to the HAMSCI project, or is that
> done in a periodic data dump by the desktop for forwarding to HAMSCI? (I'm
> trying to figure out what gear I will need to collect HAMSCI propagation
> and magnetometer data, hopefully unattended. I have a RACAL RA6790/GM rcvr
> that is frequency referenced by a 10MHz GPSDO, and the rcvr reads out
> accurately to 1 Hz, and has an IF output port. I also have an HP3325A which
> (if I remember correctly) can parse freq down to 1/1000th Hz. But if an SDR
> with a good TCXO is adequate, I might just get an RFSPACE Cloud SDR which
> has a good TCXO and a pulse trigger port, and can be left unattended and
> connected online to transmit the required freq data.)
>
> Cheers, and 73,
> Larry N6NC
>
> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:21 AM Jonathan <emum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> Currently, it utilizes an external sensor board connected to a Raspberry
>> Pi hat. Software reads the data from the sensor board and logs it to the
>> Pi?s file system.
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/CACCnQZNvvomSc3DGh5h8Tg8C7h%2BfV9PmM_4Vb0AaDhsJn7KNiA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at
>> http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
>> ---
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/CAM4%3DgM8fUSbANy_Tr98515pumiFAB_KKJhT3cd237bCcOfOcJg%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/CAM4%3DgM8fUSbANy_Tr98515pumiFAB_KKJhT3cd237bCcOfOcJg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
>> --
>> Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at
>> http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
>> ---
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/95094042-943E-4099-9AB0-9612236EB8ED%40gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/95094042-943E-4099-9AB0-9612236EB8ED%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
> Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
> ---

HL Serra

May 31, 2021, 4:35:50 PM5/31/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jonathan. I will check the Zoom tapes later.
I graduated with a masters from Scripps Institution of Oceanography/UCSD in 2016 (at 70 their oldest graduate), and have been attempting some propagation experiments with Carl K9LA, one of ham radio's propagation gurus, who directed me to HAMSCI. I am personally interested in getting some frequency- and time-disciplined data for my own experiments, so will probably get a new RFSPACE Cloud SDR which accomplishes this and acts as an online server. And adding a magnetometer to the data collection would be great.
Cheers, Larry N6NC

Cheers, Larry N6NC

Jonathan

May 31, 2021, 4:52:00 PM5/31/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,

I cannot provide advice for collecting HF data as that is not my area of
expertise. My area of expertise is ULF/VLF Natural Radio and
amateur seismic monitoring. I do know there were a small amount of
magnetometers produced for prototyping and validation purposes but I don't
believe they are ready for the "general public" yet, however, someone else
on the list might be able to comment further.

Jonathan
KC3EEY

On Mon, 31 May 2021, HL Serra wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 13:35:37 -0700
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/alpine.BSF.2.21.9999.2105311520070.56222%40closet.server
>> .
>>

> --
> Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
> ---

HL Serra

Jun 1, 2021, 12:32:07 AM6/1/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Jonathan. I will keep an eye out.
Cheers, Larry

Dev Joshi

Jun 7, 2021, 3:32:03 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv

HL Serra

Jun 7, 2021, 3:56:28 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dev-
Please, who is the team leader (and email addr) for the HAMSCI magnetometer project?
73, Larry N6NC

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

George Byrkit

Jun 7, 2021, 4:07:19 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that can be learned by observing the previous recordings. Maybe even the HamSCI website.

73
George K9TRV

Jun 7, 2021, 4:09:02 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,

That depends on what part of the magnetometer project you are interested in. What are you looking to do?

73 Nathaniel

HL Serra

Jun 7, 2021, 8:26:19 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan- I want to alert them about the difficulty of creating and siting magnetometers for HAMSCI citizen use, based on at least one earlier attempt. This will be a difficult project unless the engineering is thoughtful and performs well.
73, Larry N6NC

HL Serra

Jun 7, 2021, 8:27:55 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi George- How about a specific answer rather than "Go look at the tedious and uninformative Zoom meeting tapes?"
73, Larry N6NC

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/04f801d75bd8%24b6d75d70%2424861850%24%40chartermi.net.

Jonathan

Jun 7, 2021, 8:49:31 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,

It may be worthwhile if you can attend the Zoom meeting tonight and talk
about any engineering issues.

Jonathan
KC3EEY

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021, HL Serra wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:27:42 -0700
> From: HL Serra <hls...@gmail.com>
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/CAM4%3DgM9%2BweJpZ%2BbU6HnREk2jcD7JLR-8xpMk%3DdJKkjXNsXzc3w%40mail.gmail.com.

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Jun 7, 2021, 9:01:22 PM6/7/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Larry,

Dave KD0EAG, Jules K2KGJ, and Dave KV0S have the most experience with siting the magnetometers. They have been doing a significant amount of engineering work, and they are currently in the process of writing appropriate documentation.

If you can going a Monday night telecon, you will be able to talk to them in person.

73 Nathaniel W2NAF

Jun 8, 2021, 7:29:32 AM6/8/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Larry,
It's the same problem that killed UseNet, right? People asking questions without showing what and why they are asking, nor whether they've looked for and been unable to find the answer. Or not reading the FAQ or equivalent. Put the burden on someone else. And this isn't '(anti-)social media', is it?

As Nathaniel pointed out, the question was vague because the answer set is rich.

73,
George K9TRV

Dana Whitlow

Jun 8, 2021, 7:54:33 AM6/8/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I would argue that the "burden" should be placed on those who venture to write,
in the form of a requirement that the writing be clear and accurate.

One particular class of poor writing that is my eternal "hot button" is that of writing
data sheets for products.  At present it is virtually impossible to find a product that
is fully specified- one has to buy it first and discover its shortcomings at one's own
expense.

Dana

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/051301d75c59%248c0b8950%24a4229bf0%24%40chartermi.net.

George Byrkit

Jun 8, 2021, 8:47:57 AM6/8/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Dana,
I do tend to agree with your position. Yet, looking at the HamSCI website, I can see why Larry didn't get any answers there. It isn't obvious to me how to peruse the HamSCI email list history. There don't seem to be any FAQs (or FAQ-like page) for each of the projects or initiatives. That almost makes it necessary to ask 'newbie' or general info questions on the list itself.

And it makes the HamSCI list less informative and less approachable.

I've always liked http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html. Especially the 'Before You Ask' section. And of course this topic has launched flame-wars throughout history, right along with 'where do the curly braces go' and other possible matters of religious fervor.

73,
George K9TRV

Dana Whitlow

Jun 8, 2021, 9:01:15 AM6/8/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
My argument is that it is almost unheard of for the FAQ to include the items I
am concerned about.  And what is "before you aks" but another name for a
FAQ?

Dana

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/051801d75c64%24809a4d80%2481cee880%24%40chartermi.net.

HL Serra

Jun 8, 2021, 7:09:55 PM6/8/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Nathan.
73, Larry N6NC

HL Serra

Jun 8, 2021, 7:17:52 PM6/8/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan- With family and other duties, sorry I missed the Zoom meeting.
Anyway, I think I have expressed my observations explicitly enough by an email hopefully passed to the magnetometer group, which included the pitfalls of one science-observer's magnetometer. But I also learned from their PPT project objectives that they are aware they can never successfully get absolute, calibrated magnetometer data for this citizen-science magnetometer project due to the vagaries of EMI, nearby magnetic and powerline objects:
The magnetometer group says in their project PPT title page: "Time-varying field measurement is sufficient: absolute measurement is not necessary."

Cheers, Larry N6NC

Dev Joshi

Jun 14, 2021, 5:27:53 PM6/14/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv